Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Ads selling Model 3 Reservations...anyone else seen them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, it's not an order, it's a deposit and a reservation.
I'm being loose with the terminology, but there isn't really a difference in terms of the management system (a client giving me a PO and deposit for a item that is not yet manufactured would be handled under the same system, even though the "reservation" terminology is not used).

Second, what other purposes?
Accounting and customer support. The name/address records from the credit card company, Paypal, or the bank are going to be for a certain person. They need that in their reservation/order records in case they get audited (or even just quirks like when the MyTesla account just fails to get established for whatever reason, but payment still goes through). And in Tesla's case, all the deposits are the same amount ($1000) so they can't even use that as a way to differentiate people.

I find it very hard to believe they don't have a record of the person who put in the initial deposit (and transaction dates, etc).

Last edited:
I'm sure they kept a record of the fields submitted on the model 3 reservation form. It would be stupid to lose that.

But what do you suspect will happen when the person whose email address is on the MyTelsa account gets an email that says their Model 3 reservation is ready to proceed to the order stage, but "oops" the name on the original M3 reservation from 2016 is in a *completely* different name/address (in your example)?

In that specific case, whoever is the owner of the MyTesla account (proven by email address and login/password) gets to proceed with the M3 purchase, no?

Now what if the name on the reservation is completely different? Tesla isn't going to give a rats-ass about the difference, and will likely allow the order to proceed in either name/address/info. Or even a third party given the proper credentials when it gets to that point. All Tesla will care about at that point is (1) getting their money and (b) delivering a car.

And how do you recommend reconciling the difference at that point? Why would Person A use Person B's email address when reserving the Model 3 if they weren't very closely related? Can you imagine any person plunking down $1000 on their credit card but using some other person's email address?

During this current quarter, Tesla is obviously desperate to sell and deliver as many units as possible (we're seen this before) in order to hit their projections and not have the stock price pummeled when they miss their mark. Offering $20k-$30k discounts off of list price. Do you really think a minor discrepancy on the name on the original M3 reservation is going to stand in their way of delivering a full-list-price Model 3? Not in a thousand years.

• Disagree
Reactions: calisnow and Runt8
I'm sure they kept a record of the fields submitted on the model 3 reservation form. It would be stupid to lose that.

But what do you suspect will happen when the person whose email address is on the MyTelsa account gets an email that says their Model 3 reservation is ready to proceed to the order stage, but "oops" the name on the original M3 reservation from 2016 is in a *completely* different name/address (in your example)?

In that specific case, whoever is the owner of the MyTesla account (proven by email address and login/password) gets to proceed with the M3 purchase, no?

Now what if the name on the reservation is completely different? Tesla isn't going to give a rats-ass about the difference, and will likely allow the order to proceed in either name/address/info. Or even a third party given the proper credentials when it gets to that point. All Tesla will care about at that point is (1) getting their money and (b) delivering a car.

And how do you recommend reconciling the difference at that point? Why would Person A use Person B's email address when reserving the Model 3 if they weren't very closely related? Can you imagine any person plunking down $1000 on their credit card but using some other person's email address?

During this current quarter, Tesla is obviously desperate to sell and deliver as many units as possible (we're seen this before) in order to hit their projections and not have the stock price pummeled when they miss their mark. Offering $20k-$30k discounts off of list price. Do you really think a minor discrepancy on the name on the original M3 reservation is going to stand in their way of delivering a full-list-price Model 3? Not in a thousand years.
Tesla has specifically said reservations are not transferable. People have called in with perfectly reasonable transfer requests and have been denied. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to then allow people to transfer them just by changing contact information. You can speculate all you want, but please don’t say these things like they are facts. You have no idea what procedures Tesla may have in place to prevent transfers.

HRL has a personal interest in hoping that Tesla bows to his version of expediency but I keep wondering why his family member did not simply reserve early. That seems a lot less work than spending hours here trying to promote loose company ethics and would have only resulted in a few months delay in receiving the car.

Then why didn't you just make a reservation in her name ?

Because in March, 2016 I didn't know who the car would be for.. Me, my wife (girlfriend at that time), her daughter, her son, or someone else entirely. There's also a chance she might not want the car, because at that time, or even now, we don't know what her employment prospects or living situation will be.

I'm sure that there are tens or even hundreds of thousands of people who just plunked down the deposit at the March 2016 reveal "just because" and didn't have a specific action plan for two years in the future, when there were extremely few details about the car available. It was only last month we learned limited options and ranges which will be available. There still are lots of unknowns about the car.

Do you have a reference for them offering $20k-$30k discounts? Besides inventory/demo cars of course. They've been offering those for years.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq

What if that account was hacked/phished and someone took their account? The $1000 deposit was paid by one person and then suddenly that changed to a completely different person. Is Tesla just going to just ignore that? We can come up with all types of hypotheticals, but I guess when the time comes we'll find out.

I don't see the point in making a big deal about the reservation not being transferable and then have such an easy way to circumvent that policy. I have no doubt that if there are successful attempts at this, it'll reach the internet fairly quickly and then there will be a lot of pissed off Model 3 deposit holders complaining about being cut in line.

I believe this exact point was addressed already: they have 400k people in line, they don't need the extra demand. And a person who is desperate enough to get a car like this will either get back in line or be willing to jump through extra hoops (like buying a car off someone else for a premium). They aren't just going to quit buying the car simply because Tesla didn't allow them to cut in line.

And by time they get through the backlog such that they are "desperate" to sell, then the point becomes moot (since there is no line to cut).

I should point out to others that the reported $20k-$30k discounts are only applying to inventory cars (and only the worse condition ones), not to new vehicles.

Last edited:
I don't see the point in making a big deal about the reservation not being transferable and then have such an easy way to circumvent that policy.

Because it's very easy to just say that there are no transfers and deny any requests to do so. Very few people are going to (a) realize it can be done, and (b) do it.

I have no doubt that if there are successful attempts at this, it'll reach the internet fairly quickly and then there will be a lot of pissed off Model 3 deposit holders complaining about being cut in line.

Nobody is being cut in line. The same M3 car is being sold to the same reservation in line. The "name" on the paperwork is irrelevant. If you're #48,504 in line, that's the car your going to get, or better if people cancel their reservation. Nobody can get in line in front of you to push you back, which is what cutting in line is. Also, the incidence of this is going to be extremely tiny, so it's not like people behind in line are going to get their cars any sooner or later.

Because it's very easy to just say that there are no transfers and deny any requests to do so. Very few people are going to (a) realize it can be done, and (b) do it.

Nobody is being cut in line. The same M3 car is being sold to the same reservation in line. The "name" on the paperwork is irrelevant. If you're #48,504 in line, that's the car your going to get, or better if people cancel their reservation. Nobody can get in line in front of you to push you back, which is what cutting in line is. Also, the incidence of this is going to be extremely tiny, so it's not like people behind in line are going to get their cars any sooner or later.
Maybe cut in line is not the right term, but having someone that pays extra to get an earlier spot that were held by scalpers is essentially the same thing to the person in line. If that scalper was denied and gives up the spot in line, it scoots everyone forward.

People are grabbing their pitch forks already about the "token" gift. This is going to be a lot more outrage inducing and I can't see that people won't complain (perhaps the very same people participating in this thread) and get this loophole shut down if it does exist. I guess we will find out.

Is giving my reservation to my brother "cutting in line"? If he doesn't want it, what about a good friend of mine?

Where do you draw the line between legit reservation transfers and non-legit ones?

And how would anyone actually complain to Tesla? "I heard of this guy Ralph who gave his reservation to Sam... Wah wah wah ". It sounds like a tattletale in grade school. What do you expect Tesla to do after the fact? Take the car back?

Maybe cut in line is not the right term, but having someone that pays extra to get an earlier spot that were held by scalpers is essentially the same thing to the person in line. If that scalper was denied and gives up the spot in line, it scoots everyone forward.

So what's the problem? You get the exact car you reserved OR BETTER. Not all potential reservation transfers are scalpels.

People are grabbing their pitch forks already about the "token" gift. This is going to be a lot more outrage inducing and I can't see that people won't complain (perhaps the very same people participating in this thread) and get this loophole shut down if it does exist. I guess we will find out.

I'm going to agree with HLR, that scalpers are not going to affect the rest of us. First because we still get our car in the promised time frame, second because I don't think there will be many scalpers. And third because production is going to reach a point where so many cars are being produced every day that a few cars ahead of you just won't push you back by even a day.

Now, if a significant proportion of the early line-standers were intending to scalp their cars, then it could make a difference. But I predict that so few people will buy from the scalpers that most of them will end up buying the car themselves (which they have a right to do based on their reservation order) or will cancel, allowing everyone to move up a place.

People willing to pay always get preference in a free-market system. That's a shortcoming of the system, but it's just the way it is. Tesla seems to be making an effort to minimize that, and I applaud them for it. The bigger issue, as I've mentioned before, are the scammers who are sure to come out of the woodwork and sell the promise of an early reservation spot to unwitting people who will pay them and get nothing for it.

As for the "token gift," I predict a Tesla ball cap. That will be useful, if not downright necessary, if you get that glass roof. I hope I can opt out of the glass roof.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I buy season tickets each year for my mlb team.
I buy them well in advance of the season, paying 8 months before the first pitch.
every other person willing to purchase under those terms could make the same purchase.
I don't have the desire to attend 81 games each year, so I sell what I don't want on stubhub.
sometimes I make money on the seats I don't want, sometimes I lose money?
so, am I a scalper because I took the time to arrange for these seats,
knowing I'm going to sell those which I don't desire,
and I make that decision based upon my timing.
Do the terms and conditions of your season tickets prohibit the transfer of tickets? Of course not.

Apples and oranges. I hope Tesla reviews and cancels anyone's reservation where the reservation holder has advertised the spot in line for sale.