Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Best Tesla Loan Rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to go through USAA or Tesla - what's so special about DCU? I'd never even heard of them - just good rates?

Saw the mod post above.... hope this is okay to ask, not asking for a referral, just some clarification!
Nothing special (online digital credit union) they just give great rates on EVs, the lowest compared to any other bank. 1.24% for 65 months.

Reactions: Stook02ss
Just noticed they have an organizational requirement for membership... looks like government isn't on that list. Ah well.
Take a look back through this thread as it looks like you can make a modest donation to certain causes DCU champions to qualify for membership. (Has that changed?) Also, there seems to be some uncertainty on just how large a Direct Deposit one needs to set up to qualify for the lowest rate.

I was going to go through USAA or Tesla - what's so special about DCU? I'd never even heard of them - just good rates?

Saw the mod post above.... hope this is okay to ask, not asking for a referral, just some clarification!

The interest rate is really low, so people like that. They also offer a monetary referral incentive for referring others, which is another reason you will see a lot of chatter about it as people try to refer others to get that incentive.

Just noticed they have an organizational requirement for membership... looks like government isn't on that list. Ah well.
I just made a donation to one of their charities during online signup. Really only about rates. In fact i think they are going through some growing pains and wait times to speak to someone are pretty long. I’ve been using their callback feature and they have been calling back within about an hour.

I THINK as long as you have a referral you can do it all at once and they'll "honor" it if you don't have it FULLY set up but I could be wrong. It's 2 steps - you create a CHECKING account that does NOT require unlocking credit, you only need to unlock credit for loan app itself. You can set up checking ahead of time so they have in your system your'e a member.

For DD... I've heard stories of people's rates going up for not depositing "entire paycheck". No one knows for certain but I think those people deposit an amount less than their car payment, or perhaps a little more. I personally deposit $1k per paycheck and have yet to get flagged..> YMMV
Not clear if this affects the loan but it affects the checking account where we need to pay the loan from.

From DCU

You are currently receiving valuable Plus Checking benefits including:
  • Up to $10 per month in non-DCU ATM surcharge reimbursements
  • Special ½% consumer loan rate discount with electronic payment from a DCU account
  • Free use of non-DCU ATMs &ndash otherwise $0.75 per transaction
Did you know that you'll automatically qualify for great Relationship benefits simply by making five payments* from your checking account each month?

Not clear if this affects the loan but it affects the checking account where we need to pay the loan from.

From DCU

You are currently receiving valuable Plus Checking benefits including:
  • Up to $10 per month in non-DCU ATM surcharge reimbursements
  • Special ½% consumer loan rate discount with electronic payment from a DCU account
  • Free use of non-DCU ATMs &ndash otherwise $0.75 per transaction
Did you know that you'll automatically qualify for great Relationship benefits simply by making five payments* from your checking account each month?
Huh... I 100% do not make 5 payments and have happily had my low rate. I don't think that's important at all

I opened an account back in December and only have a portion of my paycheck sent to DCU. I started the auto deposit in January.

I got my VIN this morning and called around 3:30pm to get the loan process started. At 5:30 had the loan docs sent to me for ESign.

Surprisingly no hard credit check as I did not get an alert from Credit Karma which monitors Transunion and Equifax. But they might not have ran my credit yet (probably tomorrow) when they mail the check to Tesla.
Are you certain that sending only a portion of your paycheck will work? I just refied both of my teslas with dcu and the paperwork said “net deposit”

Indeed, DCU is still 1.24% when you have a direct deposit; I just got my MY loan sorted. I started the direct deposit (whole paycheck, but not sure if it matters) about a month ago and I must say it’s a pain to get my money out of the account and into my usual Bank of America account. You can’t just Zelle your pay check and you also can’t simply “transfer” it via any method without incurring a charge. You also can’t go withdraw a typical paycheck out of an ATM (limits, fees, etc). Depending on what branch credit unions are local to you, you might be able to go inside a branch and withdraw your entire paycheck at once, but what a freaking hassle. I found somewhat of a work around… I complained to DCU and because I was direct depositing my paycheck they offered to send me a free book of checks (100 of them) and I just plan on cashing a check on my phone into my Bank of America account to avoid all the lame fees and the hassle of going to a branch and then to my bank.

I'm not ready to swap my financial institution for a .5% savings ($7-$11 per month?). I wish I could just set up a recurring transfer into the DCU account monthly to receive the discounted rate.
Same, I'm not even sure if its worth 1% at this point. I love working with USAA.... 2.25% and have my car insurance with them. I feel like that would make things easier God for bid I do have to make a claim one day, especially something like a total loss or diminished value.