Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current blind spot for Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've now had two instances highlighting the same weakness of current AP 2.0 technology that I would like to share.

I use autopilot with a following distance of 6 or 7, which usually gives enough space for vehicles to change lanes in front of me and for autopilot to adjust to the new car. In slower traffic, however, this space is not large enough for larger trucks and buses. Two times in stop and go traffic I've watched an assertive bus that doesn't quite have enough room to fit into the space between the car in front of me and me make the lane change. A human would notice and slow down to give the bus space. Autopilot does not notice the bus coming into my lane, and without intervention, I would effectively be hit from the side by the bus. I'm certain a slow moving accident would have occurred.

There is a definite lack of awareness of what is happening in adjacent lanes, and the vehicle does not do anything until it has determined there to be a car already in my lane. Tesla needs to work on the logic handing the actions of cars in adjacent lanes. I feel like AP 1 handled this situation better.

Reactions: daktari
I've now had two instances highlighting the same weakness of current AP 2.0 technology that I would like to share.

I use autopilot with a following distance of 6 or 7, which usually gives enough space for vehicles to change lanes in front of me and for autopilot to adjust to the new car. In slower traffic, however, this space is not large enough for larger trucks and buses. Two times in stop and go traffic I've watched an assertive bus that doesn't quite have enough room to fit into the space between the car in front of me and me make the lane change. A human would notice and slow down to give the bus space. Autopilot does not notice the bus coming into my lane, and without intervention, I would effectively be hit from the side by the bus. I'm certain a slow moving accident would have occurred.

There is a definite lack of awareness of what is happening in adjacent lanes, and the vehicle does not do anything until it has determined there to be a car already in my lane. Tesla needs to work on the logic handing the actions of cars in adjacent lanes. I feel like AP 1 handled this situation better.

That's why it's L2 and it's actually much improved. It detects cars about 1/5 in my lane and tracks in the IC more accurately and smoothly. I'm on .42