Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why have the delivery times jumped to 8 to 12 weeks for a M3 but the model Y is much less.

Likely because tesla still has some model Y's "in stock" and they have fewer or none "in stock" for model 3. The first quarter, they will be making cars for the international market, so cars being made for the first month or so will be for europe. This is normal for tesla, and expected.

Yeah, apparently Tesla makes each model just once a quarter. Many folks ordered their M3s in early October, only to get delivery almost 3 months later (at the end of the year). I ordered it from the factory on Dec 14, and it was at the dealer on Dec 23. I'd say close to a record. So based on that, seems like Tesla makes the M3s towards the end of each quarter. Right now they started production of MSs.

Likely because tesla still has some model Y's "in stock" and they have fewer or none "in stock" for model 3. The first quarter, they will be making cars for the international market, so cars being made for the first month or so will be for europe. This is normal for tesla, and expected.

For what its worth, your hypothesis of inventory is not true. There is little to no inventory on model Y's. Checking ev-cpo, there is 10x the amount of model 3 inventory. I think it has more to do with the Q1 production schedule where they will likely produce model Y before Model 3.

For what its worth, your hypothesis of inventory is not true. There is little to no inventory on model Y's. Checking ev-cpo, there is 10x the amount of model 3 inventory. I think it has more to do with the Q1 production schedule where they will likely produce model Y before Model 3.

That would be assuming that all inventory shows on sites like ev-cpo, which it doesnt, but it doesnt matter much anyway. Tesla has historically switched to shipping manufactured cars internationally the first 4-6 weeks of the a quarter, and then (historically) starts filling US orders after that.

In most cases, someone ordering in the US in mid january is taking delivery in mid march, the same time someone ordering late february would be. If cars are available and deliverable now, its because they are still there from being manufactured in december.