Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The debate over those ordering a MYP while waiting on their MYLR magnifies the bigger problem of Tesla allowing anyone to anonymously place an order for $100 with zero obligation. Even those who place a single order with no real intention (or financial means) to follow through on that order creates an inflated and inaccurate number of orders for which an accurate EDD is impossible to calculate.

I've often suggested a better procedure to be $100 to hold the price. Then a Tesla SA contacts you, finalizes the details and processes the order. Most of the "on a whim" orders would never happen, or end when having to speak with an actual person. One step further, have the $100 deposit only turn into a to build order when another $500 (or some amount) is also paid.

I think we'd then see more accurate EDD's, similar to the one I would get when placing a BMW order. I certainly wouldn't go to the BMW dealer and tell my salesman I want to order an X5 and and X5M. Whichever came in first I'll take.
I've posted about this before so Ditto! Does anyone here with their $100 deposit orders really think that with the Reservation Number you actually got a car into the queue to be built? Your order was fed into the Al Gore Rhythm based on what you ordered, what options, and where the delivery will take place. This all taking into consideration beginning or end of quarter weather (trucking) and countless other variables. I do not believe for one second, that there is a punch sheet with my RN and name on it slowly moving to the front of the assembly start queue. I think Brother Elon is smarter than we think. He also has to account for the myriad of orders that are from one buyer who might just, with the car in the delivery lot, decide not to buy. I'm just sayin.

Reactions: mikeds86 and TESRP
I agree, the 100 bucks “down payment” is a joke really … I posted few days ago that I bicycle shop asked 1k down payment for a bicycle; Tesla should ask 2k for its down payment and reimburse only half in case of cancellation; that would teach them and would explain people showing off on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram with screenshots of “purchasing” a Tesla … the latest trend seems to be “buying” the Model S Plaid, take the screenshot, post on the aforementioned social media sites, and immediately cancel the order! what a bunch of losers! you can tell from their previous posts that they cannot afford a Tesla.
Thinking about this further, wouldn't it be diabolical of the big 3 (or one of them) *or any auto manufacturer, even a startup like Lucid* to dump TONS and TONS of dummy orders into Tesla's system to gunk it up, forcing Tesla to make their actual customers to get balooned estimated delivery dates all for those customers to give up and go to another auto manufacturer?

I also read that removing FSD will change your price.
That sucks and different than what my sales advisor told me when placing order. He mentioned it can be removed without increasing base price. Also the fact that i can remove it using self serve make me believe it shouldn't change the price but who knows. Any other data point? I want to do subscription for a month before deciding.

Thinking about this further, wouldn't it be diabolical of the big 3 (or one of them) *or any auto manufacturer, even a startup like Lucid* to dump TONS and TONS of dummy orders into Tesla's system to gunk it up, forcing Tesla to make their actual customers to get balooned estimated delivery dates all for those customers to give up and go to another auto manufacturer?
I wouldn't be surprised to see that happening ... how about Jeff Bezos? he might as well do it, since NASA awarded "his" contract to SpaceX 😉

This is literally, illegal and could result in lawsuits and collection of estimated economic harm.

Reactions: PatrickTM
Man, I should not have opened this thread so early in my process. Ordered 8/10 and my EDD is 13 Dec - 13 Jan. Not liking the of possibly being bumped to March '22 if we miss December. Let the anxiety begin...
Ha! I've been thinking the same thing - ordered one day after you, and I'm already obsessively checking this thread...

I'm hoping the fact that the EDDs are so far out now is a reflection of Tesla getting better at estimating (at least at the order date - we all know EDDs constantly change and are basically garbage), and not an indication that it's going to actually be 6-7 months before we take delivery? *cringe*.

I have been checking almost daily where I sit in the queue. Ordered on June 23 Long Range Model Y with 7 seats, Tow Hitch, Gray Color.
Current Estimated delivery is September 9 - 29. For a while it kept moving from August to September but last 2 weeks or so it has been at Sep 10-30 then back to Sep 9-29 then again Sep 10-30 and back to Sep 9-29. I am hoping we are getting closer.

Reactions: chand
This is my opinion and I can state it.
That’s fair. I know people are frustrated about Tesla’s poor handling of this. I think it’s ultimately a reflection of their long-standing issues of a lack of communication and transparency.

So much of the Tesla community spends their time speculating about how or why Tesla does what it does. The cynic in me says that they want it this way since rumors and speculation drive interest, engagement, and headlines. This is especially important to a company that doesn’t spend money on traditional media advertising.

The less cynical side of me thinks it’s just a lack of commitment to customer service and clear communication because no matter what they do, they seem to have more demand than they can keep up with. Until they are no longer supply constrained and required to drive demand, there isn’t much incentive to invest in this area of the business.

Either way, some people will decide they can’t deal with a company that doesn’t respect their customers or will make a decision to accept the trade off since it is the best option on the market currently.