Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea the front bumper one is missing which I find really odd tbh. Not sure why they’d skip out on that 🤷🏻‍♂️The ultra sonics do a decent job of telling you distance but I’d rather just see what’s there. Of course 20 years ago I would have parked my parents Toyota Previa minivan in tight spaces with no camera or complaints, so I know I’m being spoilt 🤣
Yes! I also used to drive a camera-free ‘97 Explorer. Not sure how but we made it work.

Only reason I can think of to skip the 360 view feature is that it’s a driver aid, and Model 3 and Model Y cars are set up for an autonomous future. Just like removing the traditional instrument cluster and not having a mirror-based blind spot warning. My personal and somewhat uninformed opinion is that we’re a decade away at least, but Tesla is much more optimistic than I.

Yes! I also used to drive a camera-free ‘97 Explorer. Not sure how but we made it work.

Only reason I can think of to skip the 360 view feature is that it’s a driver aid, and Model 3 and Model Y cars are set up for an autonomous future. Just like removing the traditional instrument cluster and not having a mirror-based blind spot warning. My personal and somewhat uninformed opinion is that we’re a decade away at least, but Tesla is much more optimistic than I.
I think in this and many other fields we’ll see a lot more human+AI solutions through the next decade or two before we’re made obsolete as a species 😅

Reactions: PatrickTM
Hmmm... sure about your choices here? You do you...but this doesn't sound right
Which part doesn’t sound right to you? The part about switching to a 60A breaker after the wall charger install?

Which part doesn’t sound right to you? The part about switching to a 60A breaker after the wall charger install?
60a breaker for a 14-50 NEMA plug is not in compliance with NEC. If you hardwired the charger and removed the plug (edited to add this qualifier), then it's fine. Also don't forget a garage PLUG has to be fed with a GFCI breaker.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: loggedout
I posted this on the no EDD thread but I know this is the big one that everyone checks.

Just sharing a data point. Ordered early July with mainly October EDD. I was able to get an inventory car in August. I didn’t want my 100 deposit go to waste so I asked my sister if she wanted it. She does but she’s in a different state so I told her to go to Tesla with all my account details so she can register the car in her name. Once she accepts delivery, she’ll drop her car from my account and add it to her newly created account. Once that reservation and delivery center changed to her place in late August that reservation never got an EDD to ever come back. I received an email today to finalize payment, she got her VIN right around the original EDD. I checked it yesterday on the updated app and there was still no EDD as of yesterday.

MF302, man we’re in the 300ks now. Good luck all.

60a breaker for a 14-50 NEMA plug is not in compliance with NEC. If you hardwired it then it's fine. Also don't forget a garage PLUG has to be fed with a GFCI breaker.
What you’re saying is right, putting a 60A breaker on a 14-50 outlet isn’t compliant. But I never had a 60A breaker on my 14-50 outlet. My 14-50 outlet had a 40A breaker. I’ve fully replaced the 14-50 outlet with the wall charger, which is why I then switched from a 40 to a 60A breaker. The wall charger is rated for a 60A breaker at max, so that it can pull the max of 48A.

It’s hardwired.

What you’re saying is right, putting a 60A breaker on a 14-50 outlet isn’t compliant. But I never had a 60A breaker on my 14-50 outlet. My 14-50 outlet had a 40A breaker. I’ve fully replaced the 14-50 outlet with the wall charger, which is why I then switched from a 40 to a 60A breaker. The wall charger is rated for a 60A breaker at max, so that it can pull the max of 48A.

It’s hardwired.
Folks I had asked this question here before. I have a 60amp breaker with the NEMA 14:50 outlet. Many folks responded it’s absolutely OK.

Key things for my specific case were:

1. Make sure I moved my wire beside a stud for mounting the wall connector. The 14-50 outlet wasn’t beside a beam, so I had to move the wire, which involved me having to cut into the drywall a bit. It also helped me get more wire length (which may most likely be needed) by tracing it back a bit while cutting.

2. Switch out my current 40A breaker for a 60A breaker. One thing I had to do before this was to be 100% sure that the wire was already a 6 gauge. The wall connector can still be installed with thinner wires, but the thinner you go the less max current can be pulled (WC’s max current is 48A which would require at least a 6 gauge wire and 60A breaker).

I think other than these points (and having to patch my wall back up 🥴) everything else was from the instruction manual. Also, I would say if you’re not somewhat competent with electrical components, I’d recommend leaving it to a pro.
Is that 6AWG wire inside of conduit? If it's romex, you have to use the 60C rating, which isn't sufficient for 60A. That said, if it's a short run, it's probably fine, but for a longer run I'd probably set the wall connector to top out at 40A.

Is that 6AWG wire inside of conduit? If it's romex, you have to use the 60C rating, which isn't sufficient for 60A. That said, if it's a short run, it's probably fine, but for a longer run I'd probably set the wall connector to top out at 40A.
6/2 or 6/3 NM-B is good for 55A at 60C isn't it? NEC allows the next larger breaker when the rated current isn't a commonly available breaker rating. The code does have allowances like this, largely due to compounding safety factors.

I know this one specifically as I just powered a panel for our new pool this summer, the wiring inside the house is 6/3 NM-B and transitions to THWN-2 for going into underground conduit. The inspector had no issue with the 6awg 'romex' in the home on a 60A breaker.

6/2 or 6/3 NM-B is good for 55A at 60C isn't it? NEC allows the next larger breaker when the rated current isn't a commonly available breaker rating. The code does have allowances like this, largely due to compounding safety factors.

I know this one specifically as I just powered a panel for our new pool this summer, the wiring inside the house is 6/3 NM-B and transitions to THWN-2 for going into underground conduit. The inspector had no issue with the 6awg 'romex' in the home on a 60A breaker.
It is, but you can only use 80% of a circuit's rated capacity for a continuous load (like charging a car). Which is why for a 48A charger it specifies a 60A breaker, and you're also supposed to use 60A rated wiring.

• Informative
Folks I had asked this question here before. I have a 60amp breaker with the NEMA 14:50 outlet. Many folks responded it’s absolutely OK.
If only related to charging tesla - you'll be fine, since it can only draw max 32 amps through mobile charger. But from the compliance with electrical code standpoint it is not compliant in my understanding.

Adding a data point for those interested in real delivery times as of Oct 2021. If you are reading this in 2022 or later take my delivery times with a grain of salt.

Order date July 7th 2021.
Profile complete date July 9th. This date matters , order date does not.

Red / black 5 seat , no tow , normal wheels, no FSD

Delivery to northern Texas.

Initial EDD said Sep 4th to Sep 24th 2021.
Final EDD said Oct 21st to Nov 4th 2021.

Actual delivery day was Oct 22nd 2021
Just over 100 days total.

Lessons learned
a) when ordering do not bother to add trade in nor financing up front. Almost certainly both will time out anyway, considering delivery times as of Oct 2021, and adding them up front will delay your profile complete date. Simply say no trade and pay with cash. You can always change trade and financing later even last minute

b) speak to your Service advisor as little as possible.

c) check your account profile regularly. Sometimes you get text or email from Tesla about major updates. Sometimes you don’t even when you probably should. I think my vin was sitting idle for a few days until I got a text asking if I was having trouble uploading insurance

d) you only get a 72 hour grace period to pick up your car from your delivery date. My initial delivery date became a problem for me because of life outside Tesla and if I couldn’t get the car in 72 hours I would have lost it. I was told with my configuration losing the car now would not get me another till April 2022.

It’s short run (~5ft from the breaker box) 6/3 Romex completely inside the wall with no conduit

Adding a data point for those interested in real delivery times as of Oct 2021. If you are reading this in 2022 or later take my delivery times with a grain of salt.

Lessons learned
a) when ordering do not bother to add trade in nor financing up front. Almost certainly both will time out anyway, considering delivery times as of Oct 2021, and adding them up front will delay your profile complete date. Simply say no trade and pay with cash. You can always change trade and financing later even last minute

c) check your account profile regularly. Sometimes you get text or email from Tesla about major updates. Sometimes you don’t even when you probably should. I think my vin was sitting idle for a few days until I got a text asking if I was having trouble uploading insurance

d) you only get a 72 hour grace period to pick up your car from your delivery date. My initial delivery date became a problem for me because of life outside Tesla and if I couldn’t get the car in 72 hours I would have lost it. I was told with my configuration losing the car now would not get me another till April 2022.
No way. You gotta wait another 6 months?! There are some who got a newly matched car in 2-3 weeks

(edit) we're drifting off topic here so I'll stop - I don't think you're up to code fwiw)
No worries, we don't care about that around here.
60a breaker for a 14-50 NEMA plug is not in compliance with NEC.
hmm, I was under the impression to do exactly this so if you want to hardwire in the future, you only have to swap out the outlet. I asked my electrician for a 14-50 outlet and 60a breaker and he didn't balk. Maybe he assumed to install a 14-60 outlet?

Last edited:

Lessons learned

If only I could have a OD to delievry like you :(

No worries, we don't care about that around here.

hmm, I was under the impression to do exactly this so if you want to hardwire in the future, you only have to swap out the outlet. I asked my electrician for a 14-50 outlet and 60a breaker and he didn't balk. Maybe he assumed to install a 14-60 outlet?
I thought about it and finally decided to install the Tesla WC and a 60 Amp circuit breaker with appropriate AWG to code. When I sell, the new owner can keep the Tesla WC which may be outdated by then. There was not much difference for me in price for a Nema and WC. I can claim back much of it in rebate from my federal taxes and some from my Electric supply company.

It’s short run (~5ft from the breaker box) 6/3 Romex completely inside the wall with no conduit
You should replace with a 50A breaker. You can't round up to 60 in this case, it would be 55a and those are uncommon and still less than 48amps at 80%.

Needs to be 4/2 romex minumum for a 60a breaker, to be within code. The breaker is to protect the wire, not the charger. And that wire isn't large enough for that breaker, too much heat.

Last edited:
Long term observer on this forum here. Finally took delivery after 110 days. No issues - so far!!
MYLR5 | White| Black | 19”| No Tow | FSD |
Ordered 7/5| Original EDD Aug | Final EDD Oct 15 - Nov 4| Delivery Oct 23 | VIN 284xxx

Attachments

• 0556898E-5670-4E2A-982D-E5D14D27F6A7.jpeg
    0556898E-5670-4E2A-982D-E5D14D27F6A7.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 4F30A6C5-A1E1-4521-8345-4DDDAB113A69.jpeg
    4F30A6C5-A1E1-4521-8345-4DDDAB113A69.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 45