Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sitting here without even an order placed... reading everyone freaking out about their deliveries. I was leaning toward the MYLR or M3P but if there's so much guessing when the car will come in, I'll be perfectly fine getting a honda passport off a dealer lot.

Can anyone who's going through this explain the reason your letting Tesla play your emotions so much?

Also, for everyone planning to trade in to Tesla, make sure you get a quote from Carvana, I sold my BMW to them a few weeks ago and it was an amazing experience and I got over $4k more for my car than any dealership even my brother couldn't match it and he's a finance manager at a local new car dealer in my area.
I've been dreaming about electric cars since I was a kid and I've watched Tesla the last decade+ change the industry. I've invested a lot of time and money into this. It's emotional because of the lack of communication from Tesla, and the excitement. Some of that excitement got let off when they removed the radar, but then I realized that with a bit of updating it will be fine if not better. Then the lumbar support was removed, and that one is the sour note for me. I don't have the best back so when in that seat during test drives I've always adjusted it to be much more comfortable. Again the lack of communication is really hurting their customer experience. Then I think back to my test drive and the feel of the car and just how damned good it is, and how much I was smiling and loved it. I can buy a pillow for my back, begrudgingly, because I had originally ordered the version I test drove... Every time I step back from the emotions of it and look at the issues of Global supply chains during a pandemic I realize I'm over reacting, I'm going to be fine, and I'm lucky to be in the position to buy this. My husband has been looking at the ford as well, but we keep coming back to the fact that where it counts for us the Tesla beats the ford. In charging, towing, looks and technology we keep coming back to the MY we ordered. For us it will be just fine, not a great experience at all or even a good one, just fine. It's still been more stressful than when we bought our Honda Insight, which Carvana has given a nice offer on, but I haven't had to deal with the all the sexist homophobic bullshit that we normally would on the lot. Plus I've always felt much more used, taken advantage of and pressured when buying off the lot. Where in our case we're just really damn excited. Ever since that test drive we can't stop talking about it and that's why we've ranted, but stayed. I guess this is the price to be early-ish.

Just asked and got this response
1137644B-F3EC-4275-B915-52149DBBA748.jpeg

Reactions: Abadole
I’m in the same boat work-wise except the MY will be used for road trips to the mountains for camping and snowboarding. Sold my paid off Forester because our other car is an M3 and I am throughly convinced there is no reason to go back to an ICE car after having the M3 for 2 years and what I got for the Forester pays a lot of the MY off given the high demand for used cars. For me it’s worth the wait.

It’s kinda like going from a blackberry to an iPhone back in the day. I’m not sure how else to describe it.

As of now, my company expects to reopen offices in late sept/ early Oct on a hybrid basis but they have not provided any guidance as to how often we will need to show up in the office. When that happens I'll need a car or will be ordering uber's since I don't want to leave my wife without a car all day (she's frugal as far as her car but she's on a first name basis at Nordstrom's)...

It feels like I should place my order any day now to ensure I get the delivery BY September/ October but I don't want to place the order then find myself in the situation where the car is ready in august or early september and I have to jump out of queue and then risk getting it much later or just canceling and buying a car with a ICE.

The best solution if possible was if Tesla offered buyers a way to pick their selected delivery window if it's 1 or 2 quarters out (obviously understand supply/ demand and that Tesla is dealing with crazy demand and supply shortages)

Reactions: und2000
As of now, my company expects to reopen offices in late sept/ early Oct on a hybrid basis but they have not provided any guidance as to how often we will need to show up in the office. When that happens I'll need a car or will be ordering uber's since I don't want to leave my wife without a car all day (she's frugal as far as her car but she's on a first name basis at Nordstrom's)...

It feels like I should place my order any day now to ensure I get the delivery BY September/ October but I don't want to place the order then find myself in the situation where the car is ready in august or early september and I have to jump out of queue and then risk getting it much later or just canceling and buying a car with a ICE.

The best solution if possible was if Tesla offered buyers a way to pick their selected delivery window if it's 1 or 2 quarters out (obviously understand supply/ demand and that Tesla is dealing with crazy demand and supply shortages)
Yeah, I’d even put down a $5,000 deposit to pick my delivery week(s). It seems silly they are doing this with $100 orders. Add some value and incentives and keep the customer happy. A little give and take and Tesla can still make numbers and have great customer service while being innovative.

Reactions: Srleadjb and ajs847
I've been dreaming about electric cars since I was a kid and I've watched Tesla the last decade+ change the industry. I've invested a lot of time and money into this. It's emotional because of the lack of communication from Tesla, and the excitement. Some of that excitement got let off when they removed the radar, but then I realized that with a bit of updating it will be fine if not better. Then the lumbar support was removed, and that one is the sour note for me. I don't have the best back so when in that seat during test drives I've always adjusted it to be much more comfortable. Again the lack of communication is really hurting their customer experience. Then I think back to my test drive and the feel of the car and just how damned good it is, and how much I was smiling and loved it. I can buy a pillow for my back, begrudgingly, because I had originally ordered the version I test drove... Every time I step back from the emotions of it and look at the issues of Global supply chains during a pandemic I realize I'm over reacting, I'm going to be fine, and I'm lucky to be in the position to buy this. My husband has been looking at the ford as well, but we keep coming back to the fact that where it counts for us the Tesla beats the ford. In charging, towing, looks and technology we keep coming back to the MY we ordered. For us it will be just fine, not a great experience at all or even a good one, just fine. It's still been more stressful than when we bought our Honda Insight, which Carvana has given a nice offer on, but I haven't had to deal with the all the sexist homophobic bullshit that we normally would on the lot. Plus I've always felt much more used, taken advantage of and pressured when buying off the lot. Where in our case we're just really damn excited. Ever since that test drive we can't stop talking about it and that's why we've ranted, but stayed. I guess this is the price to be early-ish.

I'm a gearhead, I grew up in my grandfather's autoshop turning wrenches and building engines, but the instant torque of EV's is what got me.

With Tesla, it's all a computer, I'd be afraid to try to hack the system to increase the speed/ acceleration where with a honda, I KNOW those engines and could easily turbo/ tune and lighten it into a beast.

Woke up this morning to learn the new delivery date got pushed to somewhere between 8/2 and 9/1. I reached out to tesla chat, and their response made me mad. I made the initial order a year ago in April 2020, and pushed the delivery dates. I made the final confirmation on 4/18/2021 and its hard to see the delivery date being pushed to August / September.

I drove to Raleigh SC, and the SA was so nice. She explained that they are going to make a lot of deliveries this month ( Quarter end), and she also found a gliltch in my order.

Hopefully expecting to take delivery in a couple weeks!
1622747413694.png

I placed my order on 5/25/21. I uploaded a photo of my driver's license. The web site is waiting for my proof of insurance which is waiting on the VIN. I've never had an EDD and I've never been assigned an SA.

I called the manager of the nearest SC which is in Texas even though the car is supposed to be delivered to my home from Colorado Springs. The manager told me that I will first receive a VIN before getting an EDD or an SA. This seems to be different from what other people here are experiencing. Most people seem to get an EDD and an SA first and then get a VIN later sometimes just a few days before delivery. IIUC, you can't buy a Tesla in Texas so maybe the people at the Texas SC don't have a firm grasp on the order process.

Could someone briefly tell me the the order I should expect to receive an SA, an EDD, and a VIN? Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm a gearhead, I grew up in my grandfather's autoshop turning wrenches and building engines, but the instant torque of EV's is what got me.

With Tesla, it's all a computer, I'd be afraid to try to hack the system to increase the speed/ acceleration where with a honda, I KNOW those engines and could easily turbo/ tune and lighten it into a beast.
I mentioned in a previous post that the Tesla buying process is not for everyone. Some find it preferable to the dealer experience, most just work through it, while some find the dealer experience to be highly preferable. Last time I bought my Toyota it also took over a month, but that was because we were haggling like crazy people against our assigned slimy salesman. Most people spend 2 to 4 hours haggling w/ sales, haggling w/ finance, waiting around while they take care of all paperwork, and driving home relatively happy with a new car they picked from the lot, that they test drove.

Many reasons to go with a Honda Pilot, and not Tesla. They’re entirely different vehicles and if the Pilot appeals to you, you should definitely not buy a Tesla. However I don’t think you should be “afraid of trying to hack” a Tesla lol. It’s not something that happens by accident. I’m also skeptical of a turbo/tune on a Pilot. Turning it into a beast? Ummm…okay, you do you!

That instant torque makes me smile every time. Even in our Insight because it behaves more like a ev than ice, so we get that instant acceleration from the electric motor before the gas engine kicks the generator on cause that car only has a 1.1 kWh battery. lmao I look at it as tuning an Ev but just through code, but agree its scary to think about messing with the code on a car.

I'm in the same boat -- I am back to office by September. When I saw 3-13 weeks last week, I pulled the trigger to order. Definitely 2nd the $5K deposit. I would have done that last week if I could've confirmed a mid-August delivery window.

Reactions: ajs847
That is correct. That is why used Telsa's with FSD can sell for ~$10k more or whatever the then current cost is. I know of two people that bought used and they have FSD that was originally purchased with the car before they purchased.

But Tesla being Tesla, I wouldn't be surprised if they will take it further and say the Software is tied to the VIN and specific UserAccount or some fancy bullshit to make sure we cannot sell the FSD with car.

After owning multiple BMW's and Benze's and now that my work has shifted to work from home I see no point having such an expensive car sit in my garage when I might drive it 2-3 times during the week to grab groceries and on the weekends. My wife's car is paid off (6 year old honda, super low maintenance)... yeah having a tesla would be nice, but I'm not going to cry into my pillow if I feel that the company is going to jerk me around after placing the order.
Honestly, I wasn't as worried about the date until I visited this damn forum. Pros and cons in that I get up to date information and get excited by all of you, but frankly all of this FOMO going around is stressful!

If you value getting a play by play of the manufacturing process, or just want to pick up a car off a dealer lot vs the tech in a Tesla, then that seems fine...

You do you and I'll do me :)

Reactions: und2000 and ajs847
Well I got a vin 187XXX and I'm scheduled to take delivery tomorrow! Now I can get on with my damn life. 😂 I got tired of waiting and wondering when I'll ever get my car and watching the dates dance around. I originally placed my order on 4/18 for a MSM MYLR. On 6/2 I ended up buying a red/white MYLR with less than 50 miles from the existing inventory. I couldn't really rely on my SA. She was really no help and acted like she didn't even care. They kept telling me, "looks like any day now". My expectation of the buying process was that it would be exciting, but the experience was rather frustrating. The Las Vegas Tesla store sucks so badly. The staff seems to only be there for a paycheck, and nothing else. I ended up purchasing from Colorado. I'm flying in and plan to drive home. My initial order is still without a vin...