Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to find a non-fanboy review, but I want it.
Car guy here, had fast cars all my life, Tesla-wise I had a P3D+ and a non-P 3D LR, so 3.1s and, what is it, 4.3s 0-60 MPH, respectively. When I got my P3D in ‘18, 3.1s was fast outside select clubs; these days, it’s nothing special. 4.3s is borderline slow, there are RWD cars (as in, not AWD) w/o a ton of horsepower that can achieve mid 4s and lower. There are RWD cars that can achieve 3.1s and below w/o being exotics (tho at substantial price premium over a P3D). Talking sedans/coupes here, all SUVs are slower for the same power output, because of weight and size. Now $2k for a substantial boost? 100% worth it. I’m buying the non-P Y because we need the 7 seats (the only reason we’re even looking at the Y, we were perfectly happy w/ the better handling 3 otherwise), it’s a no brainer to pay $2k and get it to be ballpark what our non-P 3 LR was. $2k given the performance gain is fantastic.

Lastly, if you’re not someone who cares that much about acceleration, it’s NOT worth it. Y’s plenty fast stock. There will never be a need to have the boost “to merge safely onto the highway” or other such nonesense. You’re driving irresponsibly and dangerously if a car even 3s slower than the stock Y is too slow for you to feel like you’re safe to merge onto the highway. The stock Y is a stupid fast car. It will scare most of your friends (it always feels faster & more dangerous when you’re not the one driving).

I wouldn’t call myself a fanboy, to be honest. I have had several Teslas, but I am happy to call Tesla out when they *sugar* the bed and they made me go through two “almost yours” Ys before I got my actual Y.

What’s most noticeable about the boost is less the acceleration from a stop, than the significant increase in power above say 15-20mph. If you touch it, it flies. And I say that as an X P90D owner whose car goes 0-60 in 3.8s. The Y’s AB is excellent and helpful in the highway. Worth it? Depends on who is buying…you will absolutely notice the difference between the MYLR and adding AB.

As I said before, if I had $2,000, I’d easily choose AB over the induction rims.
I wasn't talking about you when I mentioned fanboy, so please don't take offense. I've been looking for some hard data, but all I've found so far are fanboys activating AB then racing a non-AB car in very unscientific scenarios. I was hoping to find some graphs that describe where the power bands differ, and where the car performs best. I'm looking for performance gains that make everyday "maneuvering" in traffic easier (aka reserve torque when you need it.)

Reactions: dsandhu
Sorry it sucked with respect to delivery, but congrats!

Sentry mode won’t work with the USB plugged in anyway. I haven’t seen anyone without the radar post that their Sentry Mode works. There’s a whole different thread about it. Enjoy!
Thanks! Compared to a number of people here, I got off very lucky. The usb stick is okay and the Tesla didn't format it when I asked it to. I brought it inside and there were some clips on it from earlier when it was light outside. I thought the problem with Sentry Mode was that the cameras no longer trigger it but things like vibration and grabbing the door handle still worked. I don't know why it's greyed out. Maybe they want to let people know it's not working properly.

The car is here and not damaged. The dropoff was sketchy and I was worried about the missing key card but the SA reminded me that it's very easy to track a Tesla so I don't have to worry about the someone stealing it with the missing card.

I picked up my car! There were a bunch of problems with the shipping company. They were four hours late (from their original estimate). They did call an hour before showing up. They kept telling me to go to Walmart. I went to Walmart. They drove past Walmart and dropped the car off at Alberstons (another grocery store about 1/4 mile away). So I walked to Albertsons. I'm allowed to leave my old car overnight at Walmart but I don't know if I can do that at Albertsons. They handed over the key card without even asking for ID or anything. There was only one key card. The driver said take it or leave it. They didn't even bother to attach the temporary plate.

By this time it was raining so I took delivery of the car and figured I could get the other issues ironed out (such as the car not showing up in the app) after I got home. Sentry Mode is greyed out. The Telsa USB stick is in the glove box and seems to be plugged in. The SA I had on the phone said I shouldn't need to format the USB stick but ISTM that is the best thing to try now.

On the short drive home I saw a double rainbow in the sky. Despite the minor difficulties I took this to be a good omen. Now I've finally seen and driven a Tesla!
I remember I had to set a home address before I could enable sentry mode. I didn't quite understand why home address was mandatory because it would only matter if I choose to exclude home, but it worked that way. The USB stick was OK for the car out of the factory, but I later formatted it on my computer anyway, because the drive was in ExFAT format which worked for the car but not for my phone if I wanted to transfer video clips to my phone.

Car guy here, had fast cars all my life, Tesla-wise I had a P3D+ and a non-P 3D LR, so 3.1s and, what is it, 4.3s 0-60 MPH, respectively. When I got my P3D in ‘18, 3.1s was fast outside select clubs; these days, it’s nothing special. 4.3s is borderline slow, there are RWD cars (as in, not AWD) w/o a ton of horsepower that can achieve mid 4s and lower. There are RWD cars that can achieve 3.1s and below w/o being exotics (tho at substantial price premium over a P3D). Talking sedans/coupes here, all SUVs are slower for the same power output, because of weight and size. Now $2k for a substantial boost? 100% worth it. I’m buying the non-P Y because we need the 7 seats (the only reason we’re even looking at the Y, we were perfectly happy w/ the better handling 3 otherwise), it’s a no brainer to pay $2k and get it to be ballpark what our non-P 3 LR was. $2k given the performance gain is fantastic.

Lastly, if you’re not someone who cares that much about acceleration, it’s NOT worth it. Y’s plenty fast stock. There will never be a need to have the boost “to merge safely onto the highway” or other such nonesense. You’re driving irresponsibly and dangerously if a car even 3s slower than the stock Y is too slow for you to feel like you’re safe to merge onto the highway. The stock Y is a stupid fast car. It will scare most of your friends (it always feels faster & more dangerous when you’re not the one driving).
I like to have the performance available when requested. .5 seconds faster off the line does nothing for me, but improving acceleration in the 30-60 range would be useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cybwiz and dsandhu
Thanks! Compared to a number of people here, I got off very lucky. The usb stick is okay and the Tesla didn't format it when I asked it to. I brought it inside and there were some clips on it from earlier when it was light outside. I thought the problem with Sentry Mode was that the cameras no longer trigger it but things like vibration and grabbing the door handle still worked. I don't know why it's greyed out. Maybe they want to let people know it's not working properly.

The car is here and not damaged. The dropoff was sketchy and I was worried about the missing key card but the SA reminded me that it's very easy to track a Tesla so I don't have to worry about the someone stealing it with the missing card.
Tesla at the very least owes you another key card. They should throw in a key fob as well considering your frankly unacceptable delivery experience.

My car came with USB stick / Sentry working as expected, but I haven't tried to break into the car yet. Incidents are being recorded; I just haven't verified that ALL incidents are being recorded.

Last edited:
I remember I had to set a home address before I could enable sentry mode.
Thanks jigg! I'm not sure what to set for my home address. When it's parked in my driveway the car thinks it's at my neighbor's house. I live on a corner lot. My official address is on one of the streets but my driveway is on the other street. This has caused tremendous confusion over the years even without computers and gps.

PS: the car was shipped with close to a 100% charge. This was probably not good for the battery.

Last edited:
Elon appologized for the 75 mph limit with Tesla Vision. Says they are going to bump it up to 80. twitter link.

PS: got this from Dirty Tesla on YouTube.

“Production release” means vehicles coming out the factory, right? Hopefully it will work it’s way to us quickly. AFIK lot of Teslas still don’t have 4.18.2 ( MYs have been coming out of the factory with 4.18.2 for several weeks now).

Reactions: BitJam

Go into settings-> keys and delete the one that you don't have. This will prevent anyone that might have the old card from using it on the car anymore. get your SA to just give you another. They should do that without a problem since it was a delivery issue...

PS you never mentioned how you liked the first drive!

I picked up my car! There were a bunch of problems with the shipping company. They were four hours late (from their original estimate). They did call an hour before showing up. They kept telling me to go to Walmart. I went to Walmart. They drove past Walmart and dropped the car off at Alberstons (another grocery store about 1/4 mile away). So I walked to Albertsons. I'm allowed to leave my old car overnight at Walmart but I don't know if I can do that at Albertsons. They handed over the key card without even asking for ID or anything. There was only one key card. The driver said take it or leave it. They didn't even bother to attach the temporary plate.

By this time it was raining so I took delivery of the car and figured I could get the other issues ironed out (such as the car not showing up in the app) after I got home. Sentry Mode is greyed out. The Telsa USB stick is in the glove box and seems to be plugged in. The SA I had on the phone said I shouldn't need to format the USB stick but ISTM that is the best thing to try now.

On the short drive home I saw a double rainbow in the sky. Despite the minor difficulties I took this to be a good omen. Now I've finally seen and driven a Tesla!
First and foremost; congratulations!

-Was the carrier the same kind of enclosed trailer you linked in that youtube delivery clip?

-Aren't you supposed to get 2 key cards? Will Tesla send you another one (free)?

-When did your car info show up in the app?

And a sidenote: It's been over 1 month since I placed the wall charger order and it still hasn't shipped. I assume they're sold out and on backorder at this point? Hell, I even ordered a NEMA 14-50 adapter for $45 and that was a week ago and it hasn't shipped yet, either. It'll be awkward to get the car before I get a quick charge system, but I'd prefer that instead of the opposite.🤷‍♂️

Addendum to sidenote: SA texted last night and said our MYP arrived in Colorado Springs, went through detailing and inspection, and the carrier has been contacted for pickup. They'll advise when they have an ETA on arrival to NM.

First and foremost; congratulations!

-Was the carrier the same kind of enclosed trailer you linked in that youtube delivery clip?

-Aren't you supposed to get 2 key cards? Will Tesla send you another one (free)?

-When did your car info show up in the app?

And a sidenote: It's been over 1 month since I placed the wall charger order and it still hasn't shipped. I assume they're sold out and on backorder at this point? Hell, I even ordered a NEMA 14-50 adapter for $45 and that was a week ago and it hasn't shipped yet, either. It'll be awkward to get the car before I get a quick charge system, but I'd prefer that instead of the opposite.🤷‍♂️

Addendum to sidenote: SA texted last night and said our MYP arrived in Colorado Springs, went through detailing and inspection, and the carrier has been contacted for pickup. They'll advise when they have an ETA on arrival to NM.
We ordered our wall charger and received it in about one week earlier this month. That said, we had ordered some other items earlier in the month and they all shipped about the same.

Reactions: und2000