Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More details! Is this your car? How do you know it's your car? Did it update in your tesla account online?
Of course it’s my car. I have the store lead and operations manager looking over things daily. I guess my gut feeling says it will turn out right. I’m not worried about what shows up on my account online. Being that the due dates change almost daily I don’t rely on that nor do I even look at my account online anymore. 🤣

EDIT: Store lead just told me “Once firmware is completed it will be available that day for pickup. The vin will update once the firmware is completed, I will go in and match it to your account.”

Last edited:
Just got a hold of my original SA (finally) in San Diego. He said he has a preproduction tool and looked up my Y

he said according to that my Y should be released from the factory on 6/5 and delivery of 6/6. He did say give it a little wiggle room, but only by 1-3 days (in either direction), and that the tool is fairly accurate.
Someone at my SC in Renton, WA did the same thing for me and said 5/22. I ordered on 4/7 LR, MSM, 5 seats, no tow, no FSD. We'll find out soon how accurate that is!

Reactions: eoddc5
Someone at my SC in Renton, WA did the same thing for me and said 5/22. I ordered on 4/7 LR, MSM, 5 seats, no tow, no FSD. We'll find out soon how accurate that is!
You ordered a day after me and we have the same config. Different location though. I was told 5/20 a few times in the past and called in today to see if that would still be expected and they said “you don’t have a VIN. We can’t tell you anything”

Just had this pop-up when pulling up my order.
1621385275269.png

Reactions: Shammah
Depending on the location of your electrical panel and the desired location of your charger, it's possible to do the HPWC install yourself. I did. Was a 30+ ft run, but no drywall along the run so didn't have to worry about conduit. Picked up 6/3 THHN insulated wire and it took me a total of 2 hours, mainly because of the length I had to run it. Several good YouTube videos detailing the install following the NEC.
Mind posting/linking exact wire, breaker and plug you installed?

You'll definitely want to check a few things to determine what wire and breaker you buy. If your distance from charger to breaker is more than 100ft, I'd really recommend going up a gauge to 4/3 THHN. Additionally, the specific breaker you buy needs to match the manufacturer of your circuit panel. Also, you need to be sure you have "overhead" on the panel, and this does not necessarily mean just having space on the panel to install a 2-place circuit breaker. You need to have amperage overhead as well - if you pull too much power the mains breaker will trip. In my case, I have a commercial-grade Square D Panel so I got a circuit breaker for that.

Most electricians recommend going with the THHN wire which can take a higher constant amperage than your usual NM-B at the same gauge. The electrician who quoted me $2,500 (!!!) was going to use 6/3 THHN wire, so that is what I bought - at this link: 6/3 W/GROUND THHN/PVC POWER TC-ER. I bought 65 ft, and ended up using 55 ft. Will probably use the 10 ft I have leftover to install a 14-50 charger at my vacation house where the run I need is just a couple feet. This THHN cabling is rated to 75 amps, but with a discount from me not totally believing that high rating, you are safe at 60 amps, and the tesla charger will only pull at max 48 amps.

Also, the 6 gauge wires are not color coded. You'll need a multimeter that supports continuity testing, and you should label each wire with a corresponding color on each end (red, white, and you can leave one black).

All in, I spent $150 on the cable, $30 on the circuit breaker, $500 on the charger, and about $15 for cable straps and such. The price on the cable has almost doubled (!!) since I bought it a month or so ago - dang worldwide supply chain collapse! But most people won't need 65' of cable so shouldn't be too bad.

I bought a 60 amp breaker from Home Depot, which is what is required for the Gen 3 HPWC to charge at its max rate of 48 amps (80% of circuit breaker rating). Normally at this high amp rating you need to buy a GFCI circuit breaker, but Tesla specifically says not to do this as the charger has its own GFCI built in.

This video goes through an install and is very good.

Last edited:
Any 6 awg wire will do trick if you’re hard wiring a Tesla charger. It’s wire that has to be UL listed. Home Depot or Lowes have it on spools you can buy by the foot. Make sure to buy enough for a service loop and extra room to mess up a few times. If you’re going the 15-40 plug route with an outlet, you can go with 8 awg. For a Tesla charger, go with a quality 60 amp breaker. For a 15-40, limit is at 40 amps.

Edit: follow the advice captainreynold gave lol

Reactions: dsandhu