Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After yesterdays debacle, we are now slated for June 14-30 (NJ delivery)

I'm moving to Chicago on June 26 and did not plan on coming back to NJ for delivery. The savings in taxes is significant.

Model Y LR, White/Performance Rims/Black interiors/FSD
Ordered 4/8, completed financing.
No VIN date
Car has to be titled in a state other than Illinois for more than three months to avoid Illinois tax. Dont think you're going to be able to avoid the tax either way.

Reactions: justcaro
idk what to think of it but I’m posting it! Apparently things are “heating up”
F4323B5B-8621-486F-B9AB-3CCAAB574464.jpeg

Last edited:
I had the chance to sit in the front and back seat of an ID4 before they were available as Volkswagen had Test Cars in my area (Tampa area) and I saw the test drivers frequently at local chargers and I got to talk with some of them and they invited me to check out the car.. When you have a tall driver, the rear legroom is nowhere close to the Model Y.. I'm going from my Hyundai Kona Electric which is a GREAT car with way underrated range to the Model Y for rear legroom as the kids are getting bigger but also because of the Supercharging Network.. ID4 has lots of great features like door handles that are lighting up at night etc. but it does not have the space that a Model Y has. As I wanted to go bigger, the Y is a much better choice.. I also prefer the minimalistic approach of Tesla when it comes to the interior..
You don't have to justify your Model Y purchase to me lol! I understand the appeal of Model Y, though I didn't buy mine for rear seat space. I prefer the sw and power! No car is perfect, and the ID.4 is great if its designed use cases match your needs, same can be said for Model Y. We all value things differently.

You don't have to justify your Model Y purchase to me lol! I understand the appeal of Model Y, though I didn't buy mine for rear seat space. I prefer the sw and power! No car is perfect, and the ID.4 is great if its designed use cases match your needs, same can be said for Model Y. We all value things differently.
The nice thing about European cars in general is build quality.. My wife's i3 has an amazing build quality.. I couldn't live with the short range but my wife can.. She mostly uses it to drop off the kids and go shopping which is her favorite thing to do :D .. I tried to convince her to drive the Kona Electric once I'll get the Y and we could trade in the i3 but she loves that car and thinks that it's "cuter" than the Y... She wouldn't even want to exchange her i3 for a Tesla... I don't get it but then again.. I'm not a woman... Maybe, after a while with the Y, I can convince her and we may end up with 2 Teslas..

Reactions: PatrickTM
The nice thing about European cars in general is build quality.. My wife's i3 has an amazing build quality.. I couldn't live with the short range but my wife can.. She mostly uses it to drop off the kids and go shopping which is her favorite thing to do :D .. I tried to convince her to drive the Kona Electric once I'll get the Y and we could trade in the i3 but she loves that car and thinks that it's "cuter" than the Y... She wouldn't even want to exchange her i3 for a Tesla... I don't get it but then again.. I'm not a woman...
Regarding the i3, so I've heard! Those who love it, REALLY love it! I guess it seems to be a fun car to whip around town, but I've never driven one. Hey, to each her own, sometimes a car just works. And true, German cars in general have a super solid build quality feel to them. Part of the magic!

The nice thing about European cars in general is build quality.. My wife's i3 has an amazing build quality.. I couldn't live with the short range but my wife can.. She mostly uses it to drop off the kids and go shopping which is her favorite thing to do :D .. I tried to convince her to drive the Kona Electric once I'll get the Y and we could trade in the i3 but she loves that car and thinks that it's "cuter" than the Y... She wouldn't even want to exchange her i3 for a Tesla... I don't get it but then again.. I'm not a woman... Maybe, after a while with the Y, I can convince her and we may end up with 2 Teslas..
I work for Hyundai’s marketing agency and love the Kona Electric but like you say the supercharging network of Tesla is the huge appeal. I got to check out the new IONIQ 5 yesterday and I have to say If my delivery for my MY gets pushed to July I might just pick up the IONIQ 5.

Just drove by the Dublin, CA SC and there is basically nothing on the lot. Maybe 3 White MYs. I'm on week 10 since I ordered so hopefully soon but looks more like EOQ.
This is not surprising as there's no reason to store vehicles that close to the Fremont factory. I was told when I ordered (in Walnut Creek but picking up in Dublin) there's only 2-3 days of turnaround in the Bay Area between factory floor and delivery. Midwest and East Coast require much longer delivery times so it makes sense they'd get a head start and ship as many cars as possible to those SCs.

That's now three of us with the same config here in Chicago. Time for a death match... Anchorman news crew style face off.

View attachment 664619
Whew, I am same but No Tow... ordered 3/20, but picking up at Lisle/Naperville. I get to avoid your fight, assuming we ever get cars.
I did drive by yesterday and they (Naperville SC) has about 20-25 MYs sitting there, at least 3 of which were my build.

Digital Federal Credit Union. So far the best public rates available (1.24%) with a high credit score. www.dcu.org/search-redirects/auto-loans.html

PM me if you would like a referral.
I’ll add that in order to get 1.24%, you need to first qualify for their top tier rate of 1.99. Then, there’s an EV reduction of .25, then if you want the final .5 reduction you must set up direct deposit and deposit all pay into their credit union. FYI. Not sure how they’ll know what 100% of your pay is though.

Reactions: suprax
Yeah I test drove the ID.4 as well, before ordering the Model Y. Amazing car, incredible value. I loved the powered sunshade and massaging seats. I appreciated the quality fit and finish. If every legacy OEM made as much of an effort as VW, then the marketplace will be rich with choices beside Tesla, and that will be a great thing for competition and general adoption of sustainable transportation.

Unfortunately for me the ID.4 won't work. Not enough towing power at 2.2k. That and it really worries me on the range. Any vehicle that tows you might as well cut the range in half and with 60+ less miles and no infrastructure around to make camper trailer trips easy, it was just a non-starter. But, I don't think many people are looking to tow a 3k camper trailer with an EV so my limited options are definitely a minority.

Even then though, I am disappointed in the current crop of EVs and range. Highway driving in the dead winter with the heater going against the wind and you might as well tank your range by 30-50% easily. Add battery degradation and a range buffer (not many people are going to drive their car to zero or 1-2 miles remaining) that 260 mile range ID.4 all the sudden has <100 miles of usable range. Compound against that "average trip" they try and tout when in reality you make numerous trips and side trips, kids soccer, grocery store, coffee, lunch, etc. and all the sudden your "one trip" is much longer than they say; it's extremely misleading.

This was just hard experience I learned. Tesla has great control over battery degradation, my 2013 model S @ over 100k miles when I sold only had 4%. My original Nissan leaf had 35% loss, battery replaced, and then 30% loss before sold on the second battery. Extremely terrible batteries.

Reactions: PatrickTM
Regarding the i3, so I've heard! Those who love it, REALLY love it! I guess it seems to be a fun car to whip around town, but I've never driven one. Hey, to each her own, sometimes a car just works. And true, German cars in general have a super solid build quality feel to them. Part of the magic!
The i3 really is the ultimate city car.. It's remarkably quick from 0 - 60 and it parks anywhere easily. The i3 is also super light for an EV due to the carbon fiber chassis.. Handles great too for a little car like that.. I can see why she likes it but I HATE the infotainment system.. It's not even touch screen.. Horrible!! My Kona Electric has Android Auto which I love!!

I'm moving to Chicago on June 26 and did not plan on coming back to NJ for delivery. The savings in taxes is significant.

Make sure you don’t give up your NJ license, and hopefully still have your NJ address, for a few months. A friend of mine did that moving to CA last year and got burned. No tax in NJ of course but once the paperwork got to CA DMV she got hit with around $4,500 for sales tax.

Unfortunately for me the ID.4 won't work. Not enough towing power at 2.2k. That and it really worries me on the range. Any vehicle that tows you might as well cut the range in half and with 60+ less miles and no infrastructure around to make camper trailer trips easy, it was just a non-starter. But, I don't think many people are looking to tow a 3k camper trailer with an EV so my limited options are definitely a minority.

Even then though, I am disappointed in the current crop of EVs and range. Highway driving in the dead winter with the heater going against the wind and you might as well tank your range by 30-50% easily. Add battery degradation and a range buffer (not many people are going to drive their car to zero or 1-2 miles remaining) that 260 mile range ID.4 all the sudden has <100 miles of usable range. Compound against that "average trip" they try and tout when in reality you make numerous trips and side trips, kids soccer, grocery store, coffee, lunch, etc. and all the sudden your "one trip" is much longer than they say; it's extremely misleading.

This was just hard experience I learned. Tesla has great control over battery degradation, my 2013 model S @ over 100k miles when I sold only had 4%. My original Nissan leaf had 35% loss, battery replaced, and then 30% loss before sold on the second battery. Extremely terrible batteries.
I would wait and see on real-world ID.4 range and winter testing. VW seems to have very much underrated the efficiency. Have you towed with Model Y? Can it do 100 miles?

I’ll add that in order to get 1.24%, you need to first qualify for their top tier rate of 1.99. Then, there’s an EV reduction of .25, then if you want the final .5 reduction you must set up direct deposit and deposit all pay into their credit union. FYI. Not sure how they’ll know what 100% of your pay is though.
I had my first direct deposit of $10 placed into my account last week. I was told you have 90 days to have it setup after you apply for the loan. They honor the lower rate for 90 days. Also you become a Plus Member on the 1st of the month after meeting the criteria. I will report back if the $10 deposit is sufficient to become a member.

1621612636039.png

Reactions: Emmadiane
That’s interesting. There’s no way to tell how much of your paycheck it is. The only indicator would be if it is coming as a distribution from your employer, vs an ACH from another credit union/bank.

Direct deposit can take a month or so to switch over. Does it have to be there before you can get the .5% reduction?

Per my SA they are supposed to have an update today. I plan on stopping in the Schaumburg location this afternoon to see what’s the latest. Have to borrow my kids car to do it since I have been without a car for over a month now🙄
Been without my car for two weeks now and it's painful. I have an old 1998 Subaru Stationwagon that has been my daily driver. I am ready for my Tesla!!!