Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SA at the St Louis Tesla just said over text when asked directly if their was an inventory release hold due to firmware update: "That is what we are hearing as well. We have a lot of cars sitting on our lot waiting for the fix and then instantly will be matched to customers, should be soon". So confirmed the firmware portion but also said the cars on the lot were not yet VIN-matched, which seems strange.

oh no way!!! Nobody ever explained that.
Most states have laws like this because they don't want people getting out of the taxes... particularly in higher tax states. I saw someone else post that maybe you could try and keep it registered in NJ despite having moved but that's a different can of worms for you to navigate...

Per the IL Secretary of State:

If you originally purchased your vehicle from a dealer, lending institution, leasing company, or other retailer, you must use Form RUT-25 when you bring the vehicle into Illinois. You should attach a copy of the bill of sale or other proof of the purchase price. If you had the vehicle titled in another state for more than three months, no Illinois tax is due, but you still must file Form RUT-25 to reflect that fact.

• Informative
Reactions: Sudsington
I wonder if all the delays are due to the chip (or whatever part) that's missing of it it's really about a firmware update. I'd prefer to believe the latter is true. I work for Audi and while April has been a difficult month inventory-wise, we have about 300 cars coming to just our dealer between now and mid-July.

Hi all. I put in an order for a white ext, black int, long range, 19" wheel, tow hitch, no FSD on 3/22 and had my SA put it on hold. Yesterday I removed the hold and will see if I'm able to take delivery before June 30. As of right now it says "Estimated Delivery: 1 - 10 weeks from order placed date" so I'll be joining the rest of you in checking often for updates.

Is everyone checking the dates on their phone or desktop? I find that it doesn't show the estimated delivery when viewed on my iPhone and will only show when on my PC.

The only happened to me once where my phone showed 7-9 weeks while my desktop showed an actual date range.

I assumed that they have a bunch of fallback logic in place where if it takes too long for their order system to return the date range, then it probably shows certain pieces of data like a snapshot of the the original weeks estimate when you placed your order. It cemented it for me when our order pages changed to the blue model 3. :)

Its interesting because you can become a Plus Member before applying for the loan, which is what I am doing. And they never verified my income to open the checking account. So if I am a Plus Member, will they downgrade my membership if I apply for a car loan and not deposit my "full" pay?
Maybe they'll adjust your membership level if necessary after your checking account is open for 90 days? That's a good point, though. They did ask for our annual pay for the loan application, and they may also get a rough idea of income from the credit check, but I'm not certain. Maybe they're more stringent with the deposit requirement if you open a loan (since they ask for income info then anyway).

I wonder if all the delays are due to the chip (or whatever part) that's missing of it it's really about a firmware update. I'd prefer to believe the latter is true. I work for Audi and while April has been a difficult month inventory-wise, we have about 300 cars coming to just our dealer between now and mid-July.
Might be a firmware update required for a replacement chip for the most recent batches of Model Ys, due to chip shortages in various industries.

SA at the St Louis Tesla just said over text when asked directly if their was an inventory release hold due to firmware update: "That is what we are hearing as well. We have a lot of cars sitting on our lot waiting for the fix and then instantly will be matched to customers, should be soon". So confirmed the firmware portion but also said the cars on the lot were not yet VIN-matched, which seems strange.
From what I gather, Tesla normally doesn't assign a VIN until the car is off the line. Which makes me wonder if legally they can't match a car + customer until the car is fully ready to be sold. If my assumption is true that could be why they can't assign these VINs until whatever the issue is gets fixed.

With that said, there's actually some hope in it. Normally you'd have to wait for shipping after getting a VIN. But with this, people may go from end of June ETAs to ready immediately. One can hope anyway 🤞

ECBEFB05-8644-4E74-B021-39A244108D90.jpeg

Just got this answer from my SA… Hope keeps getting smaller and smaller…

Might be a firmware update required for a replacement chip for the most recent batches of Model Ys, due to chip shortages in various industries.
I found this article which had a little nugget that's different than what everyone else is reporting:

"Tesla decided to develop new technology so that the chip that everyone else needed was no longer necessary. By being able to update software over the air, drivers were not impacted as heavily. This likely saved the company a lot of money in the long run."

So it's not that it's a new chip they had to source but it sounds like they were able to take the functionality that was in that chip (whatever it is) and put it somewhere else. So this could be the firwmware everyone's talking about. Not firmware for a new chip but firmware for an existing chip/component.

• Informative
Reactions: Sudsington
From what I gather, Tesla normally doesn't assign a VIN until the car is off the line. Which makes me wonder if legally they can't match a car + customer until the car is fully ready to be sold. If my assumption is true that could be why they can't assign these VINs until whatever the issue is gets fixed.

With that said, there's actually some hope in it. Normally you'd have to wait for shipping after getting a VIN. But with this, people may go from end of June ETAs to ready immediately. One can hope anyway 🤞
Agree, this would explain why there are so many cars reported on lots but none of us have VINs yet. (hopeful at least)

Reactions: planejumper