Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so its all getting real now and I assume I'll get a VIN soon, but I wonder... with a 7k tax credit potentially going in before end of year, should I defer? can I defer? if i did defer, would i keep my locked mid-april price, or would i have to pay the October (or whatever) price?

so its all getting real now and I assume I'll get a VIN soon, but I wonder... with a 7k tax credit potentially going in before end of year, should I defer? can I defer? if i did defer, would i keep my locked mid-april price, or would i have to pay the October (or whatever) price?
My SA said that there's a likelihood that anyone who purchases before can retroactively apply for the credit so long as the vehicle was purchased in 2021.

Then again, SAs lie lol.

In case others are not aware, a tax credit only helps you if you OWE money. It is not the same as a tax rebate where you get the value regardless. We were able to take advantage of the EV tax credit in 2019 but we knew we would owe money come tax time and the tax credit would offset it. If you don’t owe money and are due a refund then you get zero tax credit benefit. To take advantage of a tax credit you need to owe something, ideally equal to the value of the tax credit.

Last edited:
With inflation, prices going and the very high possibility the bill won't pass. Personally I am not waiting.

I would imagine that Tesla would charge you the current price whenever you seal the deal (un-defer ;) ). Just my guess. Tough decision. Good luck.

My SA said that there's a likelihood that anyone who purchases before can retroactively apply for the credit so long as the vehicle was purchased in 2021.

Then again, SAs lie lol.
The bill could literally say anything; it's not anywhere near final. There's a potential that it doesn't include anything EV related. I mean there's at least a chance he's right I guess. I could say it's not going to happen at all and have the same chance he does at getting it right.

Got the Blue M3 of death. Now I’m seeing my spec… and a service temporarily unavailable notice. What have we done to anger you Elon?

Attachments

• D79536B0-CA5B-4E20-B044-6C5542793995.jpeg
    D79536B0-CA5B-4E20-B044-6C5542793995.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 69
  • 92E5CDEB-04C6-4E3B-BD95-A4A6CCE04E08.jpeg
    92E5CDEB-04C6-4E3B-BD95-A4A6CCE04E08.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: CupitCrew