Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s delivery day!

As it states here “Please don't be "that guy" that blocks Tesla deliveries and staff for hours while going over your new car with a microscope! You can report all of the above after you get home, at your leisure: you have a day/100 miles. “

Should I basically do a quick scan of the vehicle inside and out and then do the rest at home?

That is horrible advice. DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR OFF THE LOT if there's something wrong with it. Don't accept delivery until it's the car you paid for - This is going to be different for everyone, since some people will be fine with bigger panel gaps than others, but it's up to the individual to get what they think they're paying for. Be "that guy", because "that guy" is the one that's satisfied with his car once he gets it home instead of bitching about it online for the next 7 years when he could have spent 8 more minutes on the lot.

Honestly, even if you spend 4 hours looking over your car it's not actually holding anything up...it's not like the SA is going to be standing there watching you while you do it...they'll be inside taking care of the other orders and you'll be standing there by yourself going over the checklist. Thinking this somehow affects others is stupid, and telling others to worry about things later on a major purchase is even worse. I buy new cars every other year or so and I spend a good 15-20 minutes each time looking over the car before I leave the lot. Why? Because the one time I didn't I got majorly screwed and a warranty claim was rejected because they said they couldn't confirm it was like that when I took delivery (headliner had a major issue).
This. Totally "Be that guy".

Remember, you're the one paying Tesla $50k+. Get what you pay for and get the value you want. They should have no problem letting you spend as long as you want going over the car prior to delivery (just make sure you get there in plenty of time before they close if you want to do this). There also is no promise that Tesla will fix whatever you decide is an issue (e.g. a panel gap is too big, or there's a gash in the dashboard you didn't see) after you accept delivery, sign the paperwork, and drive off their lot. There's plenty of posts about Telsa saying panel gaps are "in spec" after delivery. They have more motivation to fix things prior to delivery than after, especially since they've done away with their 7 day return policy.

So go on and be that guy. Get what you've paid your hard earned money (and time) for!

This. Totally "Be that guy".

Remember, you're the one paying Tesla $50k+. Get what you pay for and get the value you want. They should have no problem letting you spend as long as you want going over the car prior to delivery (just make sure you get there in plenty of time before they close if you want to do this). There also is no promise that Tesla will fix whatever you decide is an issue (e.g. a panel gap is too big, or there's a gash in the dashboard you didn't see) after you accept delivery, sign the paperwork, and drive off their lot. There's plenty of posts about Telsa saying panel gaps are "in spec" after delivery. They have more motivation to fix things prior to delivery than after, especially since they've done away with their 7 day return policy.

So go on and be that guy. Get what you've paid your hard earned money (and time) for!
Honestly, people are only not "that guy" until they get screwed once.

The first time you buy an $80k car with a weird rattle somewhere and they tell you they can't do anything about it you'll become "that guy" for the rest of your life (even if you're not a guy at all).

That is horrible advice. DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR OFF THE LOT if there's something wrong with it. Don't accept delivery until it's the car you paid for - This is going to be different for everyone, since some people will be fine with bigger panel gaps than others, but it's up to the individual to get what they think they're paying for. Be "that guy", because "that guy" is the one that's satisfied with his car once he gets it home instead of bitching about it online for the next 7 years when he could have spent 8 more minutes on the lot.

Honestly, even if you spend 4 hours looking over your car it's not actually holding anything up...it's not like the SA is going to be standing there watching you while you do it...they'll be inside taking care of the other orders and you'll be standing there by yourself going over the checklist. Thinking this somehow affects others is stupid, and telling others to worry about things later on a major purchase is even worse. I buy new cars every other year or so and I spend a good 15-20 minutes each time looking over the car before I leave the lot. Why? Because the one time I didn't I got majorly screwed and a warranty claim was rejected because they said they couldn't confirm it was like that when I took delivery (headliner had a major issue).
Lol. I purchase a new vehicle every 2 years or so. I never spend more than 15 minutes or so looking over the vehicle for functionality and obvious defects (and there are usually none - at least with the Audis, Jeeps and Fords we buy.) Less obvious defects can be addressed later. Honestly, reading this advice makes me wonder about people's level of OCD.

Update in Raleigh
Got a VIN yesterday but heard nothing from SA. No calls went thru and got no response to txts.
Decided to stop by store and they seemed short staffed but a different SA who was present was very very nice and offered to schedule pick up for me when I asked.
Scheduled for tomorrow morning. Total time there was 10 mins.
He also said "you should now be able to log in and finish paying which you will want to do now since it can take a day for money to transfer".
He was right, we logged back in, paid, signed docs, and are ready for tomorrow.
Hope this helps some of you. Take Care.
I think the phones are a bad idea unless you have no alternative. It was a 30 mile drive for me but worth it.
By the way, the condition of the cars I saw was amazing.
Also it seems that they may have dropped off another truckload since we visited on Sunday.

Last night the website was sketchy, but finally managed to get through and eventually schedule delivery on Friday at the Westmont store. Accepted Tesla's offer for the old car which was $76 more than Carvana. The Tesla site does not like scanned PDFs of your title, but will take scanned JPEGs. Was only offered Friday as a delivery date, and selecting a time took three shots as the other slots booked up while I was online. Getting my checklist ready and will be glad to finish managing my wife's Model Y purchase.