Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol. I purchase a new vehicle every 2 years or so. I never spend more than 15 minutes or so looking over the vehicle for functionality and obvious defects (and there are usually none - at least with the Audis, Jeeps and Fords we buy.) Less obvious defects can be addressed later. Honestly, reading this advice makes me wonder about people's level of OCD.
Spot on. It would be funny to watch people pour over other new cars like they do Teslas on Youtube videos. It is a new and improving car company people...chill. They don't call it the bleeding edge for nothing.

Last night the website was sketchy, but finally managed to get through and eventually schedule delivery on Friday at the Westmont store. Accepted Tesla's offer for the old car which was $76 more than Carvana. The Tesla site does not like scanned PDFs of your title, but will take scanned JPEGs. Was only offered Friday as a delivery date, and selecting a time took three shots as the other slots booked up while I was online. Getting my checklist ready and will be glad to finish managing my wife's Model Y purchase.
interesting I was looking to trade in my lexus F sport and carvana gave me 5K more than tesla offered

I generally do have relatively high levels of expectations, but some of them are not expectation and rather just luck-of-the-draw. My past 2 cars were a high-end Mercedes and a high-end Audi, and both were fine...but the levels of expectations are up to the buyer, not us. If someone is fine with 1 inch gaps that's up to them, but if someone wants something smaller that's between them and Tesla - they're well within their rights to decline accepting that car if they expect better.

I'm not advocating everyone spend an hour - I'm saying "spend how much time you need to spend to feel comfortable taking that car home". That could be 30 seconds for most people that might not care about this stuff, but I don't think anyone should feel pressured into spending less time looking over their relatively expensive purchase.
We are replacing two of our three German cars with this Tesla. You know what. Compared to the Tesla, I think the typical car now is boring even if the materials and tolerances have been dialed in better over the last 5 years. I'm so excited for the new thing, warts and all.

I'm still waiting since April 28 for order :)

Attachments

• order 28 apr.JPG
    order 28 apr.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 82
Spot on. It would be funny to watch people pour over other new cars like they do Teslas on Youtube videos. It is a new and improving car company people...chill. They don't call it the bleeding edge for nothing.
I'm not sure Tesla should just get a blanket pass for their lack of quality control (although it appears it's gotten much better) just because they are "new and improving". I also get that this happens with all manufacturers; however, the difference with other manufacturers is that dealers tend to catch quality issues that make it out of the factory. Tesla's service centers either don't do that well, can't do that well, or so overwhelmed it's up to the customer to catch.

It's gotten better, I admit, but everyone should do as they please. If you're ok spending this kind of money without doing an inspection go for it! But I agree with what was said previously, nobody should feel pressured to accept a car quickly just to avoid inconveniencing Tesla.

If Tesla had more consistent QC this wouldn't even be an issue and people wouldn't feel the need to use checklists. So, to your point, they are a new and improving car company so end user checklists and inspections are required for some people.

We are replacing two of our three German cars with this Tesla. You know what. Compared to the Tesla, I think the typical car now is boring even if the materials and tolerances have been dialed in better over the last 5 years. I'm so excited for the new thing, warts and all.
I could not agree more. I'm moving from a 2020 Mercedes GLE with one of the best infotainment systems I've ever seen and a remarkably comfortable interior...and I'm not thinking twice. Actually dropping it off at Mercedes probably today to sell back to them (bought a 3 year lease up front and overall getting about half back...after having it about 2 years). It's been an awesome car, but the performance and just general styling of the MYs are amazing, and the tech features are exactly what I want. It doesn't help getting 19MPG on my past 2 cars and requiring Premium fuel...I'm going to save around $2k a year on just moving from gas to electricity and another $300+ a year for oil changes.

Looks like I'll be riding the motorcycle for the next few weeks before they start sending those MYPs out lol

FYI, I have my Carvana pickup scheduled for Tuesday. Just refreshed my offer and got an extra $150. I did that a week ago and my offer bumped up from the original by another $410. Might be worth checking out selling/trade-in offers right up until you're ready to sell.

Reactions: Soosh
I'm not sure Tesla should just get a blanket pass for their lack of quality control (although it appears it's gotten much better) just because they are "new and improving". I also get that this happens with all manufacturers; however, the difference with other manufacturers is that dealers tend to catch quality issues that make it out of the factory. Tesla's service centers either don't do that well, can't do that well, or so overwhelmed it's up to the customer to catch.

It's gotten better, I admit, but everyone should do as they please. If you're ok spending this kind of money without doing an inspection go for it! But I agree with what was said previously, nobody should feel pressured to accept a car quickly just to avoid inconveniencing Tesla.

If Tesla had more consistent QC this wouldn't even be an issue and people wouldn't feel the need to use checklists. So, to your point, they are a new and improving car company so end user checklists and inspections are required for some people.
All of this. The reason DCs don't catch this stuff is because they don't work like Dealerships. Dealerships have to "buy" the cars from the manufacturer, so they're not interested in buying cars with quality issues. That prevents those cars from ever getting to customers, which forces the manufacturer to improve tolerances. Tesla sells direct to customers, many of whom barely care about quality issues unless they're punching them in the face or falling off the car.

In this case it's purely public opinion and news articles that have forced Tesla to improve their quality, because it started getting bad publicity. I DO NOT like dealerships and think they should die, but that was at least one barrier they provided that helped customers.

Where are you picking up? I got a lot of mixed messages so far. SA told me to expect VIN and delivery instructions yesterday. Nothing ever came.

Called SC again this morning, they said that my car is there on the lot but is just waiting on final inspection and I'll hear something "soon".
Picking up from Schaumburg - called and talked to David this morning and he told me something similar. Made it seem like the car was there but just waiting for the final updates

• Informative
Reactions: Sudsington
I could not agree more. I'm moving from a 2020 Mercedes GLE with one of the best infotainment systems I've ever seen and a remarkably comfortable interior...and I'm not thinking twice. Actually dropping it off at Mercedes probably today to sell back to them (bought a 3 year lease up front and overall getting about half back...after having it about 2 years). It's been an awesome car, but the performance and just general styling of the MYs are amazing, and the tech features are exactly what I want. It doesn't help getting 19MPG on my past 2 cars and requiring Premium fuel...I'm going to save around $2k a year on just moving from gas to electricity and another $300+ a year for oil changes.

Looks like I'll be riding the motorcycle for the next few weeks before they start sending those MYPs out lol
To kinda quote Top Gear I just don't want "an car". btw I see how you snuck in MYP right there :) ...congrats!!!!

Reactions: FoxVega