Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just called the DC and they said, " Vins get assigned as soon as a car leaves the production line. This means yours hasnt been built yet". I honestly dont know if they are lying or just dont care to find out what is going on
I called mine today and was told my vehicle was shipped from Fremont Saturday 5/22 and headed to Chicago right now. I don’t have a VIN yet. They did mention I was “soft matched”. WTF does that mean? If they know the car was built, and shipped, you can’t tell me the VIN????

Any Pittsburgh/Wexford folks get a VIN yet??
4/7 order date here... My SA told me weeks ago that the car was slated for production and should have arrived at the SC by now... Still waiting for a match. Wouldn't they have had that done before they shipped the car here?
I am in Pittsburgh but with a much later order date and little hope that I would get a VIN at this point. But I have been scanning for updates from the Pittsburgh folks and am seeing nothing. I am closeby to the service center and might visit after work to see if I can learn something.

Reactions: bb114178 and suprax
2 years ago i got red paint for my M3P for free (was offered free white interior too but i did not want that) (and one of those tiny cars in a plastic case). it was part of the EOQ push. most probably they are not doing that anymore.
I saw the tiny model cars in the plastic cases on the center consoles of a bunch of MY's at the Pittsburgh SC on Monday. Sadly, the tiny cars looked like M3's

I chatted with Tesla about my order and this was the response:

"You've done everything you needed to do. At this time, a VIN has not been assigned to your order yet. VIN assignment is determined by the current trim in production, and the account completion date. Once a VIN is assigned, you will receive a text message with a link for self-scheduling your delivery appointment. A delivery timeline of 6 - 9 weeks from order placed date is posted in your Tesla account. Thank you for your patience with us as we get every order matched to a VIN as soon as we possibly can."

Not very helpful in terms of a more concrete update. I ordered 4/30 so wasn't expecting much at this point.

I feel this sums it up based on when people ordered..

Youguyshavevins.jpg

I called mine today and was told my vehicle is in transit and left the factory Saturday 5/22. I don’t have a VIN yet. Sooooo who knows? They did mention I was “soft matched”. WTF does that mean?
It's my understanding (from what my SA said so take it with a bucket of salt), that soft-matched essentially means the car is a match for your location and config but hasn't been officially assigned to you yet (so that's why they don't give the VIN to you). He said that it officially becomes assigned when it gets to the Service Center and is matched with you.
Again, this came from my SA, so YMMV

For those that went with DCU, how long is the approval for? and has anyone gotten them to send you a blank check without knowing VIN?

"A DCU Auto Loan Check is a check made out to you that's good for up to your approved loan amount. You can use it to purchase a car at any licensed dealer. Since you already have financing arranged before you shop, you can focus on negotiating the lowest price you can for the car you want like you are paying with cash in hand."