Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's a question that we like to repeat in this thread and its been a solid bit since anyones asked I think... But a good thing to ponder as the wait for the MY goes on... Who is going to be upgrading to Performance Boost?

I am still pondering it myself... probably won't decide will PPF is done $$$$
I already have, the $2000 for that. It’s the first thing I’m gonna do as soon as the car comes in!

I recall an enormous push to get VINs assigned and delivered before EoQ2. If anything, Id expect deliveries to ramp up significantly in September, with a lull again in October.
If it’s anything like last quarter, which was halfway between May it started going with more Vin assignments, it’ll be mid August when we start seeing a whole bunch of vin assignments.

Reactions: MBx4
I can confirm trade in does hold your car up. Almost same situation. Ordered April 28th. Wanted to trade in car so I filled profile. On July 10th I requested to have the trade in remove as teslas offer was substantially lower then KBB and surrounding dealerships.
My EDD just disappeared. Thought okay they are updating system. Got tired and impatient and called my service advisor.
Thankfully I did. Someone didn't do their job and removed the trade in but left trade in open. Meaning profile was not complete. It literally put me to the back of line and said November delivery. Talk about upset. I was transferred to someone who put me on "high priority" and apologized. Model Y LR White ext black int, tow hitch, 19", no FSD.
They really need to fix their system. Numerous times I have got close to just getting something else. I recently sold my model 3 performance. So annoyed that because someone at Tesla didn't do their job, I get "punished" for it.
Sorry about that. I found out similar news the hard way too.

they took 3 weeks to get me a quote, which I rejected Instantly, but all that time apparently made my profile “incomplete “. They have the profile completed after 2 weeks after I rejected the trade in offer.

Am I missing something with the future batteries? As far as I can see there isn’t a reason to hold back a purchase waiting for them.
The batteries have increased capacity and lower cost, but neither necessarily translates to the sticker price or range. If they have higher capacity & they are happy with the range (as they seem to be) people won’t get 20% more mileage. They’ll just lower the number of batteries for the same range.
If they are able to sell cars 3-4 months ahead of production at current prices, why would they lower the price?

I can confirm trade in does hold your car up. Almost same situation. Ordered April 28th. Wanted to trade in car so I filled profile. On July 10th I requested to have the trade in remove as teslas offer was substantially lower then KBB and surrounding dealerships.
My EDD just disappeared. Thought okay they are updating system. Got tired and impatient and called my service advisor.
Thankfully I did. Someone didn't do their job and removed the trade in but left trade in open. Meaning profile was not complete. It literally put me to the back of line and said November delivery. Talk about upset. I was transferred to someone who put me on "high priority" and apologized. Model Y LR White ext black int, tow hitch, 19", no FSD.
They really need to fix their system. Numerous times I have got close to just getting something else. I recently sold my model 3 performance. So annoyed that because someone at Tesla didn't do their job, I get "punished" for it.
What is a second, you’re telling me that my car is held up, buy an incomplete profile? That makes no sense, because if I had an open car, for trade-in, and it was in there, then it wouldn’t close until the car is traded in. I recently removed a trade-in, from my account, and then it gave me a complete confirmation, but technically my account was complete even before that. If this is the case, that means that my account has only been completed for two weeks. And that I still have a long way to go if it just got submitted two weeks ago. I ordered May 28th.

Reactions: iratre
Other than the $500 for the actual charge point, approximately how much was it for the electrician? Was yours a simple job or a real long run/big project?
It’s so dependent on your situation, if for instance you need a sub panel or a increase in Amp service to your house is can cost a few grand. If it’s right next to your panel (with no upgrades needed) in the garage it can be a few hundred

Am I missing something with the future batteries? As far as I can see there isn’t a reason to hold back a purchase waiting for them.
The batteries have increased capacity and lower cost, but neither necessarily translates to the sticker price or range. If they have higher capacity & they are happy with the range (as they seem to be) people won’t get 20% more mileage. They’ll just lower the number of batteries for the same range.
If they are able to sell cars 3-4 months ahead of production at current prices, why would they lower the price?
we've hypothesized this before and the consensus is the same as yours... They aren't going to lower the price. They MIGHT give you a bit more range but its not going to be dramatic, more likely is that they will put LESS batteries in the pac and get more cars produced with fewer batteries.

Additionally its more likely that MY will ship from Austin with current batteries until they get the factories up and running. Based on his comments, it sounds like they are still tinkering so whatever production they do start pumping out will likely go to CT over MY first

It’s so dependent on your situation, if for instance you need a sub panel or a increase in Amp service to your house is can cost a few grand. If it’s right next to your panel (with no upgrades needed) in the garage it can be a few hundred
All good points.
In my situation, I have adequate space on my panel (physical space and load space), but it is about an 85' run of mostly open framing. I looked at the cost of cable at Home Depot and #6 3/c is ~$400 for a 125' reel. I don't have a good feel of how much time an electrician would take or how much $/hour.
I'm guessing $500 in materials and maybe $500 in labor, but no real clue. It would be another $500 if you add the Tesla charge point vs a $30 14-50 outlet.

I agree. 4680 won’t happen this year. And even if they do, they will be low quantity so they will probably keep the same range and price. And Tesla (Elon) has said the goal it to make it cheaper to achieve the same quality and standard. So I think it would be a long wait to see a range increase from the batteries because they will be focused on reducing costs first, not to mention those scarce cells will be shared with the cyber truck. I don’t think it is worth the wait for the new battery because I don’t want to wait that long for a potential same range and experience. And if I lose out on 16% range oh well, because because 200+ miles is good enough for 98% of our driving needs. And that other 2% would be a convenience thing, not that I need more range.

Also that is if Tesla even allows existing orders receive those upgrades, because Tesla does have a clause saying they cancel the order if they want.

I already have, the $2000 for that. It’s the first thing I’m gonna do as soon as the car comes in!
If I get it I'll probably wait six months or so, so it'll be like getting a whole new car again. Because let's face it, the normal acceleration is going to be great anyhow. I figure I might as well enjoy that sensation for a while, then if I want to do it all over again with the boost.

All good points.
In my situation, I have adequate space on my panel (physical space and load space), but it is about an 85' run of mostly open framing. I looked at the cost of cable at Home Depot and #6 3/c is ~$400 for a 125' reel. I don't have a good feel of how much time an electrician would take or how much $/hour.
I'm guessing $500 in materials and maybe $500 in labor, but no real clue. It would be another $500 if you add the Tesla charge point vs a $30 14-50 outlet.
Yep in my situation for instance I have a detached garage so I needed a 1 foot deep trench dug for the conduit and 50 ft reels of cable, so it’s different for everyone

Reactions: PatrickTM and MBx4
So here's a question that we like to repeat in this thread and its been a solid bit since anyones asked I think... But a good thing to ponder as the wait for the MY goes on... Who is going to be upgrading to Performance Boost?

A big NO on AB for us. Even with boost the Y LR will be slower than my previous S. Had my fun with the S and feel the Y LR is awesome enough as is.

With current LR pricing though, the price bump to Performance isn’t as huge if someone were to order an LR with Inductions and boost.

I recall an enormous push to get VINs assigned and delivered before EoQ2. If anything, Id expect deliveries to ramp up significantly in September, with a lull again in October.
Sorry I was referring specifically to those of us on the east coast, as they tend to deliver from east to west as the quarter progresses, so those of us on the east coast that don’t have a car by end of August May not get them in Q3 if last quarter is any indication. But hopefully that isn’t the case! They definitely ramp up as the quarter comes to an end.

We will be getting it, likely as soon as we take delivery lol! My husband compromised on getting the LR over the P only under the condition that he could get the boost 😂😂