Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3/4 EMT with compression fittings and 6 awg THHN are your friends. Don’t use romex, overpriced for this.
* unless you're running the circuit through a wall or ceiling. In that case, use romex.

In my case I have to cut open the entire length of our basement ceiling's drywall. Of course, the ceiling joists run perpendicular from the panel to the garage. So it's the more expensive romex for me.

Reactions: PatrickTM
Screenshot_20210827-090526.jpg

Is this the reason why our y's are delayed. Smh

* unless you're running the circuit through a wall or ceiling. In that case, use romex.

In my case I have to cut open the entire length of our basement ceiling's drywall. Of course, the ceiling joists run perpendicular from the panel to the garage. So it's the more expensive romex for me.
so I've finally found the person who has a similar DIY setup as me! Have you found any good videos of the process going from the basement to the garage? Those approximately 2 feet are the only issue I have with doing this on my own.

Reactions: PatrickTM
so I've finally found the person who has a similar DIY setup as me! Have you found any good videos of the process going from the basement to the garage? Those approximately 2 feet are the only issue I have with doing this on my own.

I'd suggest hiring an electrician if you're unsure. My father owned an electrical contracting business for 40 years, so I learned a lot just by watching him. Still, while I'm running the wiring I will hire an electrician to pull the permit and do the work in the panel. Simply from an insurance standpoint, 240v and "homeowner did it himself" is grounds for immediate claim denial should anything happen.

That said, we had a new construction home built in 2016. I took pictures of every wall, wire, water line and HVAC duct while it was being built, so I have a good idea of how to get into my garage. Just a straight run in the basement from panel to below garage is about 70' of wire and ceiling cutting. I'll be drilling a hole through each joist to run the wire through, then go up into the garage. Luckily, my panel is in a smaller area that isn't drywalled so I'll bring that end of the wire to the panel, roll it up and leave it for the electrician to terminate.

Of course, I decided to get a Tesla about 6 months after painting and finishing the entire basement.

We are drilling a hole in a joist and exiting the basement through a wall in the stairwell. From there it is up the wall in conduit and over to the car spot in the ceiling. Down the wall in conduit.

Thanks I am leasing and not changing the term limit or amount of miles allowed, so not changing the financing terms just the down payment Amount I want to change.
My suggestion: call your SA today and explain your updated down payment amount. If they don't respond, call big Tesla and get someone on the line. I would not delay the "proceed with delivery" button too long.

Reactions: collaGOunltd