Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked my wife today about her thoughts on upgrading to the P for an early delivery.

No.

I'm sad.
But was it a 'No.' or was it a...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Well, it's September, my EDD is 9/11 - 9/26 for my May 31 order. I chatted with Tina on the Tesla site about my order. She got me by my email address and didnt need my order number. Here's what i got:

Tina chat:
At this time, a VIN has not yet been assigned to your order. Once your vehicle approaches its final transit leg, you should receive a text message with instructions for scheduling your delivery appointment. Your VIN will be reflected in your Tesla account once your delivery appointment has been scheduled. We sincerely appreciate your patience in the meantime.

I asked if she could tell if my build was scheduled to be made.

Tina chat:
Unfortunately I do not have visibility to that information. Your local showroom/ Tesla Advisor would have more insight on this. Do you have their contact information?

I told her i do have that info but mostly they are non-responsive. I then asked if I should look to get an inventory car versus waiting.

Tina chat:
While I wouldn't be able to guarantee delivery this month, I highly recommend looking into inventory so you can get into your Tesla sooner.

Then she thanked me and disconnected.

And so it goes in the land of the VINless.
Wow, I swear sometimes their customer service is totally reading off the "101 Generic Responses To Calm Down the Customer for Dummies" book.

So talked to someone from the 1888 number regarding my inventory. They said the car is good, and looks like its getting loaded up today to be sent out. And they have no idea why I got an email regarding that I hadn't set an appointment as they saw one on their end. But then said "I see you don't have insurance yet", I asked well do I need that right now, will that affect delivery? "Well sir I am not sure, but it wouldn't hurt, so just go ahead and get that taken care of"

Wow, I swear sometimes their customer service is totally reading off the "101 Generic Responses To Calm Down the Customer for Dummies" book.
Agree. This time I did not share that i know from TMC forums that people who have ordered well after me with the same config have gotten their cars so WTF is going on and why doesn't tesla communicate with its customers? I played the simple customer who is patiently waiting. The answers to my questions are bullshit.

It's such a first world problem and I can't really bitch about it anywhere else but here. I hate it that tesla is cockblocking my enthusiasm for getting the car.

So talked to someone from the 1888 number regarding my inventory. They said the car is good, and looks like its getting loaded up today to be sent out. And they have no idea why I got an email regarding that I hadn't set an appointment as they saw one on their end. But then said "I see you don't have insurance yet", I asked well do I need that right now, will that affect delivery? "Well sir I am not sure, but it wouldn't hurt, so just go ahead and get that taken care of"
Just curious what options did you choose after dialing 1888 number. So, far I called three times and all the times it asks for zip code and forwards to my local Tesla showroom and two times voicemail and one time someone picked up and just told to login and check.

Agree. This time I did not share that i know from TMC forums that people who have ordered well after me with the same config have gotten their cars so WTF is going on and why doesn't tesla communicate with its customers? I played the simple customer who is patiently waiting. The answers to my questions are bullshit.

It's such a first world problem and I can't really bitch about it anywhere else but here. I hate it that tesla is cockblocking my enthusiasm for getting the car.
I am starting to believe the theory that Tesla is intentionally delaying earlier orders, but what could be their end game? Are they contractually obligated to deliver a car eventually or are they hoping that we will grow frustrated and cancel the order or upgrade to P?

I am starting to believe the theory that Tesla is intentionally delaying earlier orders, but what could be their end game? Are they contractually obligated to deliver a car eventually or are they hoping that we will grow frustrated and cancel the order or upgrade to P?
I hate having to defend Tesla, again but, all these conspiracy theories about tesla intentionally delaying orders doesn't make sense to me. Tesla makes a healthy margin on every car they sell, according to the last call with Elon, even for the lowest priced cars. If Tesla could, they would deliver all of our cars ahead of time.

I don't see much solid ground for you to make this argument or stir the pot, specifically @Mrkrazyk ... your signature says you declined to take delivery in June on an april 3rd order - you could be happily zipping around in your MY right now instead of throwing more gas on the fire.

This is simple supply and demand, as your orders get more complex from a manufacturing standpoint, tesla produces less of those mix of configuration items. So a plain vanilla white/black MYLR5 with 19" wheels we've seen on occasion has been fulfilled much sooner than expected whereas a MYLR7 with tow and red paint could take months simply because it's a rare combination and they only make certain amounts of each configuration mix per batch of VIN's (my guess).

EV adoption, high gas prices, tax incentives or potential ones have all pushed people to place these orders. Everyone here is saying "where is MY MY"... but you have to understand that while you are the center of your universe, your not in tesla's.

You placed a $100 or $250 donation to elon's Mars's charity in the hopes of paying for an EV in the future.

all of this boils down to simple supply and demand, and ofcourse a mix of profit maximizing behaviour on tesla's part.

Quick edit, if Tesla gave an option to pay $10,000 or the entire price of the car upfront with a full guarantee that it would be delivered on a certain day in the future, would that make this process easier for you and would you still obsess over the EDD's if they were provided and still were this crazy considering you had a fully refundable guarantee?

Oh btw, those in Sacramento/Rocklin area, where did you go for PPF? Considering for the front, lower side if the price is reasonable…
I was looking at Sunco Protective Films in Rancho back a couple of months ago when I thought my car was coming in a couple of weeks (LOL). They seemed reasonably priced. I would like to hear about others.

Edit: I found the quote from July! Geez, I didn't realize my MYLR was "almost here" for that long. My EDD back then was July 29-Aug 18. The actual delivery is only 2 more weeks from the "From" EDD date. So I guess the EDD range was fairly accurate.
Full Front $1595 That was the minimum coverage. Prices go up from there. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Reactions: adiemac
I hate having to defend Tesla, again but, all these conspiracy theories about tesla intentionally delaying orders doesn't make sense to me. Tesla makes a healthy margin on every car they sell, according to the last call with Elon, even for the lowest priced cars. If Tesla could, they would deliver all of our cars ahead of time.

I don't see much solid ground for you to make this argument or stir the pot, specifically @Mrkrazyk ... your signature says you declined to take delivery in June on an april 3rd order - you could be happily zipping around in your MY right now instead of throwing more gas on the fire.

This is simple supply and demand, as your orders get more complex from a manufacturing standpoint, tesla produces less of those mix of configuration items. So a plain vanilla white/black MYLR5 with 19" wheels we've seen on occasion has been fulfilled much sooner than expected whereas a MYLR7 with tow and red paint could take months simply because it's a rare combination and they only make certain amounts of each configuration mix per batch of VIN's (my guess).

EV adoption, high gas prices, tax incentives or potential ones have all pushed people to place these orders. Everyone here is saying "where is MY MY"... but you have to understand that while you are the center of your universe, your not in tesla's.

You placed a $100 or $250 donation to elon's Mars's charity in the hopes of paying for an EV in the future.

all of this boils down to simple supply and demand, and ofcourse a mix of profit maximizing behaviour on tesla's part.

Quick edit, if Tesla gave an option to pay $10,000 or the entire price of the car upfront with a full guarantee that it would be delivered on a certain day in the future, would that make this process easier for you and would you still obsess over the EDD's if they were provided and still were this crazy considering you had a fully refundable guarantee?
Yes, I would absolutely pay full price or a large deposit in return for a guaranteed delivery date. And the guarantee would need to have some teeth so every day that they were late, my car price would be reduced. Tesla would need to make an investment in process and technology to shore up it’s customer service because then, with financial penalties, it really would matter.

A new black MYP popped up on the Tesla site today and I clicked on the buy button and went through all the steps but did not hit submit. It was the exact same package as my MYLR except in a P version. The thought that the car would scrape on my driveway was the only reason I didn't go through with it.

Thank you. I needed that. I will keep quiet and wait.

I did a straight-on add quote through USAA as well. Currently pay $360 / six months for 100/300/100, comprehensive, and uninsured all at $500 deductible. 2015 Prius.

With the added hypothetical 2021 Model Y LR, my rate for the Prius goes down a bit, and the final bill is $780 per month. Same coverages. I'm a 30 year old married male, no tickets or at fault accidents last 10 years. WA state policy.
Correction. $780 / six months, NOT $780 per month.