Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to cancel my MYLR - SA wont respond to questions and EDD has pushed by 2 months again.. Completely frustrated
I’m am sorry to hear that. There is a wide variety of SAs and the customer experience is inconsistent to say the least. Try posting your questions here, and the wisdom of the crowd might be able to suggest a solution. Lots of people here have been through some weird scenarios and most likely have some info or data to help you with your decision/situation.

Hang in there!

500 mile EV would be pretty neat! You bring up charging, which is super important and leads me to the following thoughts:

Overall road trip time is a function of range, efficiency, and charging speed. With those three variables you can calculate the amount of time it’ll take to cover any trip. And to shorten that overall time, there ought be to commensurate improvement in efficiency and charging speed. Improve all three variables generates greatest overall time improvements. I think as an industry the focus is range, because to the uninformed buyer range is what comes to mind first. Usually charging speed and efficiency are listed in the fine print, if at all.
First, a correction to my earlier post. My best EDD was 9/2-22.

Once you have a Tesla you will only need it to calculate and plan a long road trip. It will do all the planning for you based on your driving style (read speed, ac usage, etc.) and will provide the time (when and for how long) and location of your next charge.

However, if you want to play around with it before you get your Tesla I would suggest the A Better Route Planner (ABRP) app. It allows you to choose the Tesla you own and to fine tune your driving and the enviornmental conditions for your proposed road trip.

As PatrickTM points out, currently the focus is on range because that's what the uninitiated hone in on. With most EV's suitable for a road trip you will be ready for a stop about the time the car needs a charge if not sooner. If your average speed is 50MPH (hard to do long term) you're talking about 5 hours for 250 mile range. Either my bladder or my back or both will be screaming at me by that time!

Which gets us to the point of why you are buying a Tesla...because of the Supercharger network. What every EV buyer should be focusing on is how quickly can you charge back up. That brings you right back to the V3 Supercharger's that Tesla has. Honestly, if you are planning to use your EV for long road trips or charging away from your home then Tesla is the only one you should be looking at. Maybe someday the other charging networks and EV makers will catch up, but I truly believe that will only happen when they can tap into the Tesla Supercharger network.

Tom

For those who switched to the MYP and are in places with winter weather, what are you planning for wheels? Swap out the Uberturbines twice a year with something else, or try to get all season tires?
Highly recommend you take a look here: Model Y: Driving Dynamics

There are SEVERAL whole threads dedicated to the topic and from folks that actually have the car as opposed to us dreamers. A lot of good information.

Very exciting text message received today!!
Screenshot_20210901-113409_One UI Home.jpg

Delivery appointment set!! Getting close!

Screenshot_20210901-211431_Chrome.jpg

For those who switched to the MYP and are in places with winter weather, what are you planning for wheels? Swap out the Uberturbines twice a year with something else, or try to get all season tires?
I live in Baltimore and visit to IL and CO. All can get bad winters. I plan on driving in them with the current tires at least once and then determining what the need will be for changing out tires. I've also looked at different tires and rims. Others have talked about selling their tires/rims and I'm curious what they're able to sell them for. If I could find a good year-round tire on a nice looking rim I would probably choose that over switching out per season especially considering how iffy weather can be during the winter (and might not need it).

First, a correction to my earlier post. My best EDD was 9/2-22.

Once you have a Tesla you will only need it to calculate and plan a long road trip. It will do all the planning for you based on your driving style (read speed, ac usage, etc.) and will provide the time (when and for how long) and location of your next charge.

However, if you want to play around with it before you get your Tesla I would suggest the A Better Route Planner (ABRP) app. It allows you to choose the Tesla you own and to fine tune your driving and the enviornmental conditions for your proposed road trip.

As PatrickTM points out, currently the focus is on range because that's what the uninitiated hone in on. With most EV's suitable for a road trip you will be ready for a stop about the time the car needs a charge if not sooner. If your average speed is 50MPH (hard to do long term) you're talking about 5 hours for 250 mile range. Either my bladder or my back or both will be screaming at me by that time!

Which gets us to the point of why you are buying a Tesla...because of the Supercharger network. What every EV buyer should be focusing on is how quickly can you charge back up. That brings you right back to the V3 Supercharger's that Tesla has. Honestly, if you are planning to use your EV for long road trips or charging away from your home then Tesla is the only one you should be looking at. Maybe someday the other charging networks and EV makers will catch up, but I truly believe that will only happen when they can tap into the Tesla Supercharger network.

Tom
TBH ABRP is a great app in concept but their execution sucks. Terrible UI and very glitchy from playing with it.

Reactions: PatrickTM
500 mile EV would be pretty neat! You bring up charging, which is super important and leads me to the following thoughts:

Overall road trip time is a function of range, efficiency, and charging speed. With those three variables you can calculate the amount of time it’ll take to cover any trip. And to shorten that overall time, there ought be to commensurate improvement in efficiency and charging speed. Improve all three variables generates greatest overall time improvements. I think as an industry the focus is range, because to the uninformed buyer range is what comes to mind first. Usually charging speed and efficiency are listed in the fine print, if at all.
Since most people have no experience with EV's, and the Media harps on range, range is the priority.
Until they GET AN EV. It's fashionable, don't ya know....
Then, the logistics get noticed and charging time gets their attention.
Finally, their electric utility bill comes due, and they discover that efficiency means a lower bill.

But most people only drive 50-75 miles a day, and garage charging covers that. Until they do a road trip!

Reactions: PatrickTM
Very exciting text message received today!!
View attachment 704197

Delivery appointment set!! Getting close!

View attachment 704198
I got the same today, and am convinced that the night of tornados we've had touch down here that my EDD is going to get extended because my car will be the one tossed off the car carrier.

Oh, and by "here" I mean just outside of Philadelphia and 50 miles south of NYC. Yes, tornadoes. Here. Insane.

Tom

I agree, but in a few years Electrify America might catch up in terms of number of stations, and they've already leapfrogged the v3 in terms of peak kw (350 vs. 250).

I live in Baltimore and visit to IL and CO. All can get bad winters. I plan on driving in them with the current tires at least once and then determining what the need will be for changing out tires. I've also looked at different tires and rims. Others have talked about selling their tires/rims and I'm curious what they're able to sell them for. If I could find a good year-round tire on a nice looking rim I would probably choose that over switching out per season especially considering how iffy weather can be during the winter (and might not need it).
I can tell you, without hesitation do not attempt to drive in winter conditions with the Performance summer only tires. Assuming that's what you mean. Even in cold weather (as in no snow) performance summer tires will lose traction and grip.

I know this from experience.

Very very bad experience.

I can tell you, without hesitation do not attempt to drive in winter conditions with the Performance summer only tires. Assuming that's what you mean. Even in cold weather (as in no snow) performance summer tires will lose traction and grip.

I know this from experience.

Very very bad experience.
Profile pic checks and validates this advice...