Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off topic question so please don't beat me out of here, I've heard about people doing overnight test drives with demo models. Is that a thing (when they have demo models back again)? I would have loved to have one overnight to try out for a day but I figured I'd have to go through Turo for something like that.
Yup, I’m living proof. The folks at their store locations are always super friendly (at least at the one near me). They allowed me to schedule it as the last test drive of the day & just asked that I have it back the next day as soon as they opened.

Off topic question so please don't beat me out of here, I've heard about people doing overnight test drives with demo models. Is that a thing (when they have demo models back again)? I would have loved to have one overnight to try out for a day but I figured I'd have to go through Turo for something like that.
Yes! My friend and I did one (separate locations). It really depends on the specific store and their policy - just walk in and ask!!! You can typically take it ~5-6pm and return by store opening.

Yup, I’m living proof. The folks at their store locations are always super friendly (at least at the one near me). They allowed me to schedule it as the last test drive of the day & just asked that I have it back the next day as soon as they opened.
Awesome! I'll have to try this if they get any demo models before mine arrives.

Does anyone understand the idea of end of quarter push? How is it more important than the start of a quarter?
In short, to improve the quarterly earnings report metrics.

Same reason why a runner speeds up at the home stretch leading to the finish line, or a college student crams the night before an exam. I don’t think there’s a clear logical reason for it, just a fact of life in the car business when it’s run by irrational humans. Legacy carmakers do this too, by pushing their dealers to run incentives and cut better deals at the end of month, to try to hit their numbers. Dealers typically also do this at the end of the year as well. If we were all logical, then yes, everyone would push as hard on day 1 as they would on day 90. I’m sure if vehicle production + logistics were entirely automated, it’d be running at 100% from 1am the first day of the quarter through 11:59pm of the last, and delivery numbers would be consistent every day.

In short, to improve the quarterly earnings report metrics.

Same reason why a runner speeds up at the home stretch leading to the finish line, or a college student crams the night before an exam. I don’t think there’s a clear logical reason for it, just a fact of life in the car business when it’s run by irrational humans. Legacy carmakers do this too, by pushing their dealers to run incentives and cut better deals at the end of month, to try to hit their numbers. Dealers typically also do this at the end of the year as well.
- The runner speeds up at the home stretch because he doesn't need his strength after the finish line.
- The students cram the night before to better remember.
- The dealers run incentives at the end of month to regulate inventory.
- End of year to make room for next year inventory.
ALL this is logical. Relaxing early in the quarter as if end of quarter is not certain doesn't make sense.

Are there any November EDDs here? I mean solidly Nov EDDs, not like a day or two at the beginning or end of the month.
Team November here!

Now I just have to play the guessing game with trade-in values. Articles out there in the world claim the used market is at its highest point so far. I'd love to renew my trade-in and lock in something for 30 days but I think that's too risky right now given my 11/9-29 EDD

- The runner speeds up at the home stretch because he doesn't need his strength after the finish line.
ALL this is logical. Relaxing early in the quarter as if end of quarter is not certain doesn't make sense.
It's the idea that consistently higher performance throughout the event leads to the better performance sought by the late push. In running, I was always told "if you have a kick at the end of the race, you're not running fast enough throughout the race." Despite this, I always had a strong kick.

I'd bet there's some psychology out there about this revolving around procrastination or operating at a comfortable pace for as long as possible before going all out.

Reactions: PatrickTM
Assuming you can motivate a large team of people to give 100% of their energy all of the time doesn’t really make sense either.

Does anyone understand the idea of end of quarter push? How is it more important than the start of a quarter?
They're trying to maximize sales and revenue, etc, for the quarterly report. An order that slips two weeks at the start of the quarter won't reduce sales, but orders that slip over the line at the end of the quarter would. Same with geography. An order that rolls off the assembly line on 15 September probably won't be sold by EOQ if it's going to Miami, but if it's going to LA it can. So they concentrate on long range orders early and short range ones late. this doesn't apply to Fremont, but Shanghai units are almost all exported at the beginning of the quarter but at the end they're all domestic (to China).

I am incredibly annoyed this morning. After finally being in my EDD range of 10/7-10/22, I wake up today to find my EDD now at 10/17 to 11/11. Like WTH is that?? I was expecting this car back in September which is what I was told when I placed the order. I went from being within my EDD window to now being at a 4 week generic placeholder. I wasn't even bothered too badly about being moved to October instead of September, but November would be inexcusable to me. I also have a pretty generic build, I don't understand this at all. Sorry for my rant but this is completely frustrating. I would be over140 days if this came in November.

They're trying to maximize sales and revenue, etc, for the quarterly report. An order that slips two weeks at the start of the quarter won't reduce sales, but orders that slip over the line at the end of the quarter would. Same with geography. An order that rolls off the assembly line on 15 September probably won't be sold by EOQ if it's going to Miami, but if it's going to LA it can. So they concentrate on long range orders early and short range ones late. this doesn't apply to Fremont, but Shanghai units are almost all exported at the beginning of the quarter but at the end they're all domestic (to China).
As much as this "helps" sales numbers this quarter it makes it that much more difficult next. Properly pacing the process seems to be more beneficial for production as well as logistics.

I am incredibly annoyed this morning. After finally being in my EDD range of 10/7-10/22, I wake up today to find my EDD now at 10/17 to 11/11. Like WTH is that?? I was expecting this car back in September which is what I was told when I placed the order. I went from being within my EDD window to now being at a 4 week generic placeholder. I wasn't even bothered too badly about being moved to October instead of September, but November would be inexcusable to me. I also have a pretty generic build, I don't understand this at all. Sorry for my rant but this is completely frustrating. I would be over140 days if this came in November.
I’m currently in my EDD range for the 3rd time this month and most likely will have my EDD changed soon again. Wondering if a change is in the works as many are speculating