Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have an account the whole process takes 2-3 hours (invovles giving them a call and sorting out everything in the call itself - just have your MVPA with VIN ready to be emailed to them). If you dont have an account, it might take bit longer (maybe) not sure - I have banked with them for 15+ years and had multiple loans with them, so quite familiar with the process to be comfortable to go with them.

I was pre-approved for the loan, and I had applied in mid September (close to my prior EDD - foolish me!!!) - was really hoping the EDD didn't shift again since their approval is valid for 45 days. Honestly, I would say apply immediately after you get your VIN, upon approval DCU overnights the check anyways so max the whole process will take 3-5 days and you will have time upon receiving VIN to get all this squared away.
How is the process different from when using the Tesla provided financiers? I went with the Tesla provided one. For me it shows as TD Autofinance LLC. When we get the VIN are we supposed to inform these guys? There is really no contact information or anything. I guess Tesla gets the $$ directly from them and we just provide our down payment directly to Tesla? For DCU they will need to be informed once you get VIN and they approve and mail the check to us or directly to Tesla I guess? Some folks get the VIN very close to the delivery dates?

If you have an account the whole process takes 2-3 hours (invovles giving them a call and sorting out everything in the call itself - just have your MVPA with VIN ready to be emailed to them). If you dont have an account, it might take bit longer (maybe) not sure - I have banked with them for 15+ years and had multiple loans with them, so quite familiar with the process to be comfortable to go with them.

I was pre-approved for the loan, and I had applied in mid September (close to my prior EDD - foolish me!!!) - was really hoping the EDD didn't shift again since their approval is valid for 45 days. Honestly, I would say apply immediately after you get your VIN, upon approval DCU overnights the check anyways so max the whole process will take 3-5 days and you will have time upon receiving VIN to get all this squared away.
Agreed!

I am trying to delay the applying as much as I can, since I just closed on the house less than two months ago. Hoping that doesn't affect my credit adversely. It dropped a few points, but hoping the payments this month brings it up a notch.

I am sure it will be like mid November by the time I get a vin, looking at how some folks in their EDD haven't received a vin yet.

Reactions: PatrickTM
How is the process different from when using the Tesla provided financiers? I went with the Tesla provided one. For me it shows as TD Autofinance LLC. When we get the VIN are we supposed to inform these guys? There is really no contact information or anything. I guess Tesla gets the $$ directly from them and we just provide our down payment directly to Tesla? For DCU they will need to be informed once you get VIN and they approve and mail the check to us or directly to Tesla I guess? Some folks get the VIN very close to the delivery dates?
Check gets mailed to us not Tesla. The down payment goes directly to Tesla via ACH Transfer/Plaid or a certified check. Can't answer the Tesla financing part .. I am sure majority here who got their cars went with Tesla (via the DCU rate match route .. sadly no longer an option)

As much as this "helps" sales numbers this quarter it makes it that much more difficult next. Properly pacing the process seems to be more beneficial for production as well as logistics.
Elon is planning to smooth things out. He said Q3 2021 would be the worst. Chip shortages made Q2 2021 dicey since many cars were sitting around in lots waiting for chips and/or software work-arounds. Tesla made a big push at the end of Q2 (borrowing from Q3) in order to avoid a slump in sales and missed Wall Street expectations. They pulled the same trick to pay back Q3, borrowing from Q4. Q3 may have also been affected by production delays at Giga-Austin and Giga-Berlin.

I think the plan now is that if Austin and Berlin start to produce cars then they won't need to make such a big push at the end of the quarter. Tesla has traditionally made cars for export and far away at the beginning of each quarter while making cars for closer deliveries at the end. Naysayers have had a field day with this saying, for example, Tesla's sales in China at the beginning of Q3 fell drastically compared to the end of Q2. Analysts in the know, like Rob Maurer from Tesla Daily, avoid these problems by looking at production numbers instead of deliveries.

My guess is there will still be a big push at the end of 2022 but after that, if all goes well (production ramps up in Berlin and Austin), then things can smooth out.

PS: I ordered the new Tesla Pet Liner on Wednesday. It's due to arrive on Sunday. It's expensive but the lack of solid handles above the doors make it tricky to properly protect the doors using a conventional liner. In addition, my dog ripped the current liner near the slit for seat belts.

After exploring various financing options I've decided to pay cash, initially. May refinance with DCU @ 1.25%, or invest the $2500 savings, by not financing, in PPF, ceramics, and other accessories. The cash is from the sidelines, relatively dormant, earmarked not to invest, which makes the Tesla a good use of funds. Would have to pay it off in monthly installments anyway, at a higher rate, which is a big PITA! And don't particularly like a bank's name on my ride's title. :)