Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about a Tesla Roof? Awesome!
Well, that will depend on cost and what works best to get solar going soonest at our home. The local guy has worked with the Tesla folks, and indicated that storage may not be practical yet in terms of cost, but I at least would like to be prepared to add as better battery tech comes on line. I am imagining something akin to a 5 year to 10 year plan resulting in being off grid if we want to be. Might be a pipe dream yet, but we shall see!

His comments about the seats are what I am concerned about a bit. First thing I noticed when I test drove the Y was how short the seat length is. I am only 6'1" but the seats are a lot smaller than what I am used too. Hopefully this doesn't become an issue with me once I get my Y.
That is not an issue for me, as I am 5’9” at best now. Length of seat was not an issue in test drive. I did notice the seat pan hugged my big skier thighs and gluts pretty snugly. But I got used to that and found it fine on the curves, etc., once I got going. But yeah, could be an issue for those of you with longer levers.

Reactions: ArrogantSeeker
Add signatures???

Hey, all you others waiting out there! I see some have added signatures with your model details ordered and EDD. I just did. Might be fun if most of us did so we can all see what you all are waiting on. Sharing the anticipation!

I sure enjoyed @Oldguywaits ’s report today, which got me excited again after getting a little bummed after going down a little rabbit hole in relation to the stock and internet controversy yesterday. Excited for this car and charging network which has allowed me to commit to going electric way sooner than I thought I could, based on where I live. And as a result, has me also pushing forward on my solar plans for my house, which will need roof and furnace replaced anyway.
Speaking of @Oldguywaits , I believe he was the gentleman a couple of months ago that was pushing for everybody to put their info in signatures (such as I have). Great idea, and I do find it a very helpful!

Well, that will depend on cost and what works best to get solar going soonest at our home. The local guy has worked with the Tesla folks, and indicated that storage may not be practical yet in terms of cost, but I at least would like to be prepared to add as better battery tech comes on line. I am imagining something akin to a 5 year to 10 year plan resulting in being off grid if we want to be. Might be a pipe dream yet, but we shall see!
Battery backup is definitely a hobby rather than an investment for us right now. I do like it, however. 35 outages total and never a blip. :)

Here in CA I got an 8.25 kWh system with 2 PWs, and based on the math I did its pretty much a break even vs getting just solar, IF you have Net Energy Metering on a Time of Use plan. Arbitraging your energy rates . If you don’t have NEM and TOU, it will never make financial sense. Only thing PW would be good for is peace of mind in a power outage.
With the 26% solar/storage fed tax credit being drastically cut end of 2022, and energy utilies starting to rethink the NEM and TOU programs due to them not being as profitable, I took the plunge. So far I’m very happy with the setup and based on my production & storage, I am paying about $0.13/kWh , my base rate through my utility (SoCal Edison) is $0.17, so I’m ahead, and insulate myself from future rate increases. I actually just ordered another 4.5 kWh solar panel system to add to what I have - these electric cars use way more energy than I had initially accounted for!!! Will end up with a total of 12.75kwh system.
Also, something to note, when I purchased in June I got a 10 year loan @ 0.99%, I believe it is now 1.99% for the same loan through Tesla.

Here in CA I got an 8.25 kWh system with 2 PWs, and based on the math I did its pretty much a break even vs getting just solar, IF you have Net Energy Metering on a Time of Use plan. Arbitraging your energy rates . If you don’t have NEM and TOU, it will never make financial sense. Only thing PW would be good for is peace of mind in a power outage.
With the 26% solar/storage fed tax credit being drastically cut end of 2022, and energy utilies starting to rethink the NEM and TOU programs due to them not being as profitable, I took the plunge. So far I’m very happy with the setup and based on my production & storage, I am paying about $0.13/kWh , my base rate through my utility (SoCal Edison) is $0.17, so I’m ahead, and insulate myself from future rate increases. I actually just ordered another 4.5 kWh solar panel system to add to what I have - these electric cars use way more energy than I had initially accounted for!!! Will end up with a total of 12.75kwh system.
Also, something to note, when I purchased in June I got a 10 year loan @ 0.99%, I believe it is now 1.99% for the same loan through Tesla.
Thanks for that info. Idaho Power is fighting to change NEM, and that may happen in the next couple/few years. Idaho Power does not have a time of day/time of use plan that applies to me. Going to move ahead anyway. We plan to stay in this house for 10-15 years before considering downsizing (not even possible to financially downsize here in the valley right now with house prices and costs of construction, unless you move out). So, hoping that with a well designed, expandable system, it will help with resale when that time comes. But of course, that is all speculation. What is not speculation is drastically lowering my use of fossil fuels. As I have said before somewhere here, I have to be able to look at my young adult kids, and have done what I can to help matters, and I am tired of waiting, so just going to vote with my dollars.

I’m embarrassed to say that I have not been driving my MY much since taking delivery. Took a road trip over the weekend to visit friends and didn’t take the MY.

I thought I would miss Apple CarPlay, but I don’t. I still use it when I drive my wife’s car. But I do plan on getting a Jowua MagSafe iPhone holder. Just for using Waze for the alerts.

I also thought I would miss the 360 camera but the side repeaters on the MY do show the curbs well enough. I had 360 camera on my previous 2 cars though. I wonder if it’s because I have been driving my wife’s car without 360 for over 100 days while waiting for my MY.

I love that I don’t have to carry a key fob when driving the MY. I stream sat radio from my phone app. My daughter loves the exhilarating acceleration.

I’m embarrassed to say that I have not been driving my MY much since taking delivery. Took a road trip over the weekend to visit friends and didn’t take the MY.

I thought I would miss Apple CarPlay, but I don’t. I still use it when I drive my wife’s car. But I do plan on getting a Jowua MagSafe iPhone holder. Just for using Waze for the alerts.

I also thought I would miss the 360 camera but the side repeaters on the MY do show the curbs well enough. I had 360 camera on my previous 2 cars though. I wonder if it’s because I have been driving my wife’s car without 360 for over 100 days while waiting for my MY.

I love that I don’t have to carry a key fob when driving the MY. I stream sat radio from my phone app. My daughter loves the exhilarating acceleration.
Curious why you have not been driving it? No judgment, just curious. What do you think causes you to pick a different vehicle? My wife has a friend in Portland whose husband has a nice Tesla, i forget what model, and apparently he usually uses his Beemer instead. But he couldn’t really say why other than he was worried about messing up the nice Tesla with his dirty golf clubs.

If there is something I can change or improve to reduce any sort of obstacles to use, I will go ahead and do it. So if there are such things, good to know.

Curious why you have not been driving it? No judgment, just curious. What do you think causes you to pick a different vehicle? My wife has a friend in Portland whose husband has a nice Tesla, i forget what model, and apparently he usually uses his Beemer instead. But he couldn’t really say why other than he was worried about messing up the nice Tesla with his dirty golf clubs.

If there is something I can change or improve to reduce any sort of obstacles to use, I will go ahead and do it. So if there are such things, good to know.
:) I’m one of those who are particularly careful about their new cars. Especially the first month to first few months.

I was on the fence about getting PPF for the whole front so I didn’t want to drive too much yet. I already installed mud flaps and side rocker PPF. But I was strongly considering getting PPF for the front. Either professionally or DIY. From my research, those DIY precuts will catch dirt/grime on the edges. Even some professionally applied PPF with wrapped edges will also. It’s much more noticeable on a white car. It also jogged my memory when I had PPF applied back in 2003 on a silver car, the edges would eventually accumulate dirt/grime and start to lift. This was professionally applied, wrapped over the edges, and cut by hand. I also hand washed, detailed that car almost every weekend. That paint was so slick that even adhesive would slide right off. I layered old fashioned carnauba wax and synthetic wax on top of each other.

His comments about the seats are what I am concerned about a bit. First thing I noticed when I test drove the Y was how short the seat length is. I am only 6'1" but the seats are a lot smaller than what I am used too. Hopefully this doesn't become an issue with me once I get my Y.
I am 6'2" and I have test driven the Model Y 4 times and the seats have not been an issue at all.

You won't have any issues with the seats. I'm 6'1 too and I love seats with extenders but I've not had any discomfort with the MY seats. We have a 7hr trip coming up on sunday so maybe I'll feel different for long rides but so far, all good.

Thanks for that info. Idaho Power is fighting to change NEM, and that may happen in the next couple/few years. Idaho Power does not have a time of day/time of use plan that applies to me. Going to move ahead anyway. We plan to stay in this house for 10-15 years before considering downsizing (not even possible to financially downsize here in the valley right now with house prices and costs of construction, unless you move out). So, hoping that with a well designed, expandable system, it will help with resale when that time comes. But of course, that is all speculation. What is not speculation is drastically lowering my use of fossil fuels. As I have said before somewhere here, I have to be able to look at my young adult kids, and have done what I can to help matters, and I am tired of waiting, so just going to vote with my dollars.
Idaho has relatively cheap power (8 cents/kWh winter, 10 cents summer), and no time of use, so the ROI on Solar is twice or more as long as a lot of places. That said, Idaho is also ideally situated for solar, because peak demand is during the summer season, when production is at maximum (as opposed to, say, Vermont, where peak demand is in winter). Also, solar daily production and export peaks right in the heat of the day in summer, when AC demand is highest. Rises and falls with cloud cover, too! Idaho Power's dams cannot keep up during that time and they have had to build gas fired peaker plants (Idaho has no natural gas reserves, so they have to ship gas in from out of state to fuel the plants) to meet the demand. This will only get worse as Idaho grows and temperatures keep climbing. These costs could be mitigated by encouraging widespread rooftop solar adaption, but IPC won't do it because they can't control it.

If IPC ever comes out with true numbers I would bet that they would show that solar setups cost them nothing and actually add to their bottom line through the summer peak. They want every penny they can get, though, so they won't admit it. To my knowledge, after their defeat in front of the IPUC a couple of years ago going after net metering they haven't tried again, because they don't want this known. They'd be paying ME!

In the long run, I also like solar as a hedge against rising power costs. Hard to pencil that in, but it does help with peace of mind for those of us near retirement.