Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called in a few weeks back around Oct 30th. Sales lady said she could extend it for up to three months. I checked the app and it says Jan 31. 2022. Checked it several times. Still says the same date.
If you didn't get any email, then perhaps you are okay. But like mentioned here, I wouldn't trust that you are safe just based on the strength of what your profile states. Someone on another thread just posted that their MY reservation disappeared after the SA put it back on hold after he took it off hold due to the recent email asking to remove hold by Dec 2 to avoid a cancellation. The SA told him it would be fine to put a hold back but today his reservation is gone (in-line with the email stating that putting the order back on hold after taking it off hold would result in a cancellation).

Not trying to fearmonger. Just a heads-up to be extra cautious about this and not take any SA at face value since they often know less about what is going on than some on the forums here.

I'm pretty sure in states that don't require the VIN to be on the proof of insurance to take delivery - TN being one - they allow you to upload proof of insurance prior to getting a VIN. I didn't bother. But it definitely makes sense that in most of the other states where the VIN is required, you can't get insurance without a VIN, so you can't upload proof without one.

EDIT - for clarification, you do need to have proof of insurance in Tennessee, but you have a grace period on getting the new car added to the policy. So in Tennessee, and a handful of other states, you just need to upload proof that you have a policy on some automobile.
I uploaded my current insurance when I ordered.

Reactions: boingolover
Things are changing rapidly. I hope it stays that way, but there have been several accounts of being placed on hold, being told everything is fine and then being hit with a VIN or threat to cancel order. When did you order? I would make sure to keep checking your email (spam as well) to make sure no email is sent.

I got a surprise call from Tesla. Apparently someone declined delivery and I had the opportunity to receive the same optioned MYLR I had on order. It was tempting but I opted to wait. I imagine there's a lot of that going around.
Ive heard this alot, lots of people are declining delivery because of the EV incentive and people are getting pushed up. In Ontario (Canada), there is no EV incentive so all the cars that do get here, get picked up unless there is some QA issues. There is little chance of getting bumped here lol

I take delivery of my Tesla tomorrow. I got hit with an email yesterday at 11 AM CDT stating that if I didn't upload the Texas Liability Card with an expiration date no less than 60 days by 3 PM CDT, they would give my car to someone else.

I uploaded a legal insurance binder per my insurance agent once I got a VIN a few weeks ago (we really didn't want to change the insurance until we got the car) and they stated in the email yesterday that this was not good enough. My insurance renews every six months, so the next date is 1/9/2022 (and the date couldn't be changed manually by my insurance, yeah they are a bit old school but good) and that was the issue. Long story short, I ended up just purchasing basic insurance from Progressive just to get the Texas Liability Card with the dates Tesla demanded and uploaded that.

I will cancel the Progressive insurance after I pay my Sales Tax (as suggested by the Tesla agent).

The first person I talked too at Tesla was super rude but the 2nd and 3rd person I spoke too were very nice and friendly.

Literally just got off the phone with them to confirm once again (once I updated the insurance, I confirmed and they said everything was good) that the application was complete and ready for delivery tomorrow and now I might not be able to get the car tomorrow because the temp plates have not been received from the state of Texas......

I take delivery of my Tesla tomorrow. I got hit with an email yesterday at 11 AM CDT stating that if I didn't upload the Texas Liability Card with an expiration date no less than 60 days by 3 PM CDT, they would give my car to someone else.

I uploaded a legal insurance binder per my insurance agent once I got a VIN a few weeks ago (we really didn't want to change the insurance until we got the car) and they stated in the email yesterday that this was not good enough. My insurance renews every six months, so the next date is 1/9/2022 (and the date couldn't be changed manually by my insurance, yeah they are a bit old school but good) and that was the issue. Long story short, I ended up just purchasing basic insurance from Progressive just to get the Texas Liability Card with the dates Tesla demanded and uploaded that.

I will cancel the Progressive insurance after I pay my Sales Tax (as suggested by the Tesla agent).

The first person I talked too at Tesla was super rude but the 2nd and 3rd person I spoke too were very nice and friendly.

Literally just got off the phone with them to confirm once again (once I updated the insurance, I confirmed and they said everything was good) that the application was complete and ready for delivery tomorrow and now I might not be able to get the car tomorrow because the temp plates have not been received from the state of Texas......
Wow, what a pain! I assume this is some sort of Texas rule or something?

I’m curious…did you try applying for Tesla Auto Insurance? I heard they just opened coverage for Texas (previously only available in California).

Wow, what a pain! I assume this is some sort of Texas rule or something?

Tesla cannot sell to Texans directly (probably more complicated then that but that is the gist of it). Therefore, after we get the car, we have to wait until Tesla mails us paperwork so we can go pay our Sales Tax and get our tags/plates. This can take well over a month, so Tesla needs to submit our insurance information with the VIN + insurance expiration 60 days or more to the County to get 2 months worth of temporary license plates.

I’m curious…did you try applying for Tesla Auto Insurance? I heard they just opened coverage for Texas (previously only available in California).

I did not. I went to a North Texas Tesla Facebook group to ask if anyone else had had my issues and one of the guys was an insurance agent and just said go to Progressive and sign up to get the Liability Card and quickly cancel 4-5 days later. So I just quickly did that because I only had like an hour left as Tesla told me by 3 PM CDT they had to have this info or my car would go to someone else.

I have an order for a MY and I am in Texas. With how Texas purchases are made by having to purchase the car before taking delivery. Which counts as the sale date, the day you purchase or when you take delivery? I am asking as we are approaching January and there are EV tax credit implications since my EDD is Jan 8th - Feb 5th.