Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its a federal thing which expires this year. Look for "Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit" form Form 8911

"With the Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) Refueling Property Credit from the IRS, US businesses and residents are all eligible for 30% off their entire EV charging hardware purchase (up to $30,000 for business and $1000 for individuals). This federal tax credit also extends back to purchases made in 2018-21. Expires December 31, 2021."
for expenses incurred in 2021, is the claim made in the 2021 taxes filed in March 2022 tax filing season?

You know you can get a 30% tax rebate on the equipment and installation of a charging station if it is done before the end of this year. Installing it next year gets you $0...
Yeah, good point but I’m not sweating a couple hundred bucks too much. I was hoping that credit was extended with the new credits but hadn’t looked at that portion of the proposed bill. The guy I use is great and electricians are hard to find here, so I likely won’t push him to get it done in 2021.

I will however buy the wall charger now, that’s easy enough to knock out.

We went with USAA, they approved it nearly instantaneously. I requested a loan for an amount of what I wanted - which had me coming up with the rest as a downpayment. The approval came back 10k more than I asked for. They did not require me to upload the purchase agreement at that point. They then gave me a dealer funding request form that I was supposed to send to the dealership. This is what they use instead of sending me a check - it's the dealership's responsibility to send the form in with their bank account and routing numbers, along with a signed purchase agreement (by us as well as someone from the dealership / Tesla) and some document that shows they've applied for a title with them listed as lienholder, then USAA sends the payment electronically. Apparently they funded the loan on the wednesday following our sunday delivery.

After that was initially approved, I used the online chat feature to tell Tesla I wanted to switch from cash to third party financing. They asked me who the lender was, how much I planned to finance. At that point my account showed that I owed the downpayment. I waited until delivery day to pay the remainder.

As for the downpayment, I did that by bypassing plaid on the day I took delivery, just entered my ACH details in the parking lot after I looked the car over.

Just two, Erie is our current insurer and they came in about the same as our Audi, the other quote was a lot higher (forget who that was with now)
What are USAA rates running? I am also a USAA customer and that could be an easy possibility as well.

Yeah, good point but I’m not sweating a couple hundred bucks too much. I was hoping that credit was extended with the new credits but hadn’t looked at that portion of the proposed bill. The guy I use is great and electricians are hard to find here, so I likely won’t push him to get it done in 2021.

I will however buy the wall charger now, that’s easy enough to knock out.
Its going to save me about $500 so it was worth it .

You can always have your electricition bill you for the job now and then do it when he has time. At the least you can have him bill you for the materials now.

Reactions: BTVev and turrmoil
Thank you. How does the referral process work? I was checking their website and couldn't figure that out. Also, I am not sure I qualify for membership based on their published criteria.
Easiest is just get someone to refer you (kind like credit card referral if you've ever done that). I need your name + email to which I submit through my account, you'll get an email from them asking you to sign up. Then you just sign up for an account, select an initial funding from an existing bank.

To qualify for membership and their 1.24% you need to do direct deposit - I did 25% of my paycheck and they were fine with that.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
We went with USAA, they approved it nearly instantaneously. I requested a loan for an amount of what I wanted - which had me coming up with the rest as a downpayment. The approval came back 10k more than I asked for. They did not require me to upload the purchase agreement at that point. They then gave me a dealer funding request form that I was supposed to send to the dealership. This is what they use instead of sending me a check - it's the dealership's responsibility to send the form in with their bank account and routing numbers, along with a signed purchase agreement (by us as well as someone from the dealership / Tesla) and some document that shows they've applied for a title with them listed as lienholder, then USAA sends the payment electronically. Apparently they funded the loan on the wednesday following our sunday delivery.

After that was initially approved, I used the online chat feature to tell Tesla I wanted to switch from cash to third party financing. They asked me who the lender was, how much I planned to finance. At that point my account showed that I owed the downpayment. I waited until delivery day to pay the remainder.

As for the downpayment, I did that by bypassing plaid on the day I took delivery, just entered my ACH details in the parking lot after I looked the car over.

Just two, Erie is our current insurer and they came in about the same as our Audi, the other quote was a lot higher (forget who that was with now)
We have USAA for our home, and cars, so I am definitely going to see what their rates are.

They will overnight it either to you or Tesla. I don't honestly know when they checked my credit, but I think it was instantaneous. It's tricky because they need your MVPA before formally approving the loan and all that, but I think you first apply for the loan. This was my timeline:

Sunday: Got VIN
Monday: Called Tesla to change to Financing. Uploaded to DCU -> call DCU to get them to approve it. Finalized with them over the phone
Tuesday: in morning got email to e-sign the loan, to which they followed up with tracking number + photo copy of check ~5 hours after e-sign. Emailed this information to Tesla
Wed: Picked up car and verified all good with Tesla

I'm currently signed up with Tesla financing (Well's Fargo) but I'm thinking of switching to DCU as well. Lower rate, plus a lot of people recommend DCU with good experiences.

They will overnight it either to you or Tesla. I don't honestly know when they checked my credit, but I think it was instantaneous. It's tricky because they need your MVPA before formally approving the loan and all that, but I think you first apply for the loan. This was my timeline:

Sunday: Got VIN
Monday: Called Tesla to change to Financing. Uploaded to DCU -> call DCU to get them to approve it. Finalized with them over the phone
Tuesday: in morning got email to e-sign the loan, to which they followed up with tracking number + photo copy of check ~5 hours after e-sign. Emailed this information to Tesla
Wed: Picked up car and verified all good with Tesla
Congrats on your VIN? What is your VIN?

Seems like VINs have been slowing down lately, considering it's nearing EoQ again. Yes, yes, I've heard all about Elon's latest pitch about changing how employees should think about EoQ.

Reactions: samori01