TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Current differences between US and EU version?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jak, Jul 27, 2013.

1. jak

jak Member

#1 jak, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. adurstewitz

adurstewitz P3853, VIN3062

Lots of nice features - one note, I have the same front diffuser vents. Tesla added them after the delivery due to fogging.

3. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

You can go to one of the European Tesla sites and run through the configurator and you will see some of the additional options (above the ones available in the US).

As a side note, I saw the Tesla facility in Tilburg, the Netherlands where most of the European cars (not Norway or Switzerland I was told) cars will be assembled. I didn't get to see it from the inside but the facility looks huge. I guess they plan to ship quite a few cars from there...

Thanks for the video link.

4. dbullard

dbullard Member

The EU charging port looks hideous compared to the US version - wonder what regulations forced them to ditch the nice, clean port for that?

5. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Not so much regulation as a widely available standardized port.

6. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Love the cold weather and light packages.

7. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

Aligning their business with other manufacturers and providers og charging solutions.
    Also the original connector wouldnt support 3 phase charging - without that they wouldnt sell well In Europe. Another thing Tesla do better than others, adapt to other markets, not just provide the same package and hope the fan base is large enough.

8. SSK

SSK New Member

Hehe, I wounder if everyone ever have commented on the esthetic on the inside of an ICE filler cap :)

- - - Updated - - -

everyone -> anyone

9. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

This port enables the Model S for 3-phase charging. Think about if you have to charge from your 120V/208V grid and that you could cut the time for charging down to 1/3 when you can do it on all 3-phases.

In Europe, you can find 3x32Phases everywhere more then 3500 Station with Typ2 3x32A or 3x16A or CEE 3x16A.

- - - Updated - - -

as Tesla did with th Roadster? still suffer the lack of 3-phase charging

10. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Europe had to wait for their cars, but seems like the wait might have been worth it. Some really nice features there.

11. BenTesla

BenTesla Member

Is no one going to comment on the Parking Sensors? Seems like that and the heated rear seats are the big updates to me!

To be honest, the lights look a bit tacky. Like they were placed after-market or something but other than that great improvements. When will these hit the US?

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

So I just went out to the garage and checked. My car has all of the lights shown on the video, including the lights on the bottoms of the doors and in the front and rear footwells. I had not noticed the door bottom lights before, and assumed the light on the ground I was seeing was from the handle lights.

13. linaser

linaser Member

14. Blizz

Blizz Member

And why do we pay extra for it then?

15. mik

mik S214 EU

This link goes to a private part of the Tesla-site, and it isn't visible to others. Could someone copy the pdf, and publish it somewhere else ? That would really be helpful..

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair, I did pay for the "Tech Package" which, at the time, included "Ambient Lighting" (which I understood to be the lights under the door arm rests). This thread seemed to suggest that some of this interior lighting was new and specific to the Euro-spec cars, and I knew I had the footwell lights and surprised myself to find the under door lights as well.

17. gelden

gelden Active Member

I don't think it is a private link, but i also had some problems downloading it at first. But you can try this link instead.

18. Blizz

Blizz Member

Thank You gelden! Now it worked for me too.

19. BenTesla

BenTesla Member

Oh I stand corrected about the lights. (Still think there placement/ implementation could be better but....)

But the Parking Sensors are new correct?