Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current gen vs. Sig

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today I brought my Sig P85 in for a long awaited service, and picked up a P85 loaner (brand new, smells great). Below are some of the things I noticed:
- although it is a P85 (not +) like mine, it feels much faster. Way faster.
- suspension is far stiffer
- ambient lighting actually works without noise
- it is quieter (way quieter). No creaks, extra noises, and less road noise
- the cup-holders are worse (no grippy bits), and my water bottle fell out on a light and easy stop.
- the jump seats are different (slightly).
- the rear well cover (covers jump seats) is thicker and heavier (maybe reduces noise)
- there is a footwell light for the driver
- there is firmware 4.5
- the "leather" material on the dash and window sills feels nicer and looks a bit shinier
- the J1772 adapter feels like it's made of different material and looks more robust

I'll update tomorrow after I have taken a good drive in the daylight.

So today I brought my Sig P85 in for a long awaited service, and picked up a P85 loaner (brand new, smells great). Below are some of the things I noticed:
- although it is a P85 (not +) like mine, it feels much faster. Way faster.
- suspension is far stiffer
- ambient lighting actually works without noise
- it is quieter (way quieter). No creaks, extra noises, and less road noise
- the cup-holders are worse (no grippy bits), and my water bottle fell out on a light and easy stop.
- the jump seats are different (slightly).
- the rear well cover (covers jump seats) is thicker and heavier (maybe reduces noise)
- there is firmware 4.5
- the "leather" material on the dash and window sills feels nicer and looks a bit shinier
- the J1772 adapter feels like it's made of different material and looks more robust

I'll update tomorrow after I have taken a good drive in the daylight.

Interesting, I wonder if they can do anything during the service to make yours more quiet. How do you know it isn't a P85+? Any chance firmware 4.5 reveals any new Supercharger locations?

ddenboer - I'd be interested to know if your returned P85 after the service check feels any different/incorporates the changes you observed with the loaner. Theoretically any improvements they have made to the suspension (not talking perf+), noise canceling material, etc. should be included as part of the hardware upgrades that come with a service plan.

So I have asked the service center to look into these things, as I really feel that this less expensive P85 is superior to my Sig P85. No I will not trade in, as I already have 13k miles on mine, and my plan when buying the car was to keep until 120k or more miles.

The guy who designed the J1772 adapter works at our company now, and says that I should request the new one as it is better.

The firmware update is nice (responsive), and the maps addition of superchargers is helpful, but no disclosures through the UI on new SC's. :-(

Another hidden Sig Tax unfortunately. I will not trade my car in either (it's too awesome even with flaws) but hope a fix can be made for many of the Sig vs. current line cars. The Model S versions are starting to look like Android phones. There are likely 100+ variants of components on the Model S now (noses, wiring configs, trim maker changes, screens, ambient lights, handles, well, J1772, etc.) not including color choice variances due to late fixes. It will be interesting to get a handle, screen, foot pedal, etc. fixed in 2-5 years. They will have to change out all four handles or get our original Sig handles remade just for them to all be similar or we are going to have Frankencars (perhaps we already do).

I just took in my early Sig P85 (VIN 00061) to service a bunch of minor issues. Get tires rotated, fix creaking sunroof, add P85 badging, replace balky mobile connector (won't open charge port), remove a piece of palm frond that somehow got stubbornly wedged into a gap behind the left front wheel, replace floor mats that were worn through and developing bald spots after just 6k miles, adjust the display of my car on the dashboard, which was showing the incorrect wheels on the speedometer display (but the correct wheels on the 17" touchscreen, oddly).

Two issues that will evidently NOT be fixed: my Sig car never had the rear-seat overhead lights, which are evidently not retrofittable, so I will just have to do without. No biggie. The second, more surprising issue involves the fun-house warped plastic mirrors on the sunshades: evidently Tesla has no plan to replace these, and they continue to be delivered like this, even on the latest production cars!! I'm amazed that Tesla would be satisfied to place such a substandard-quality component just inches from the driver's face. Or perhaps mine is more warped than most? (Mirror, not face.) Has anyone else noticed this or had any luck getting it improved/fixed/replaced?

Note: This post might more properly belong in the Quirks thread, but since it involves an early Sig car, I think it belongs here too.

Two issues that will evidently NOT be fixed: my Sig car never had the rear-seat overhead lights, which are evidently not retrofittable, so I will just have to do without. No biggie.

My car is missing this too. I thought is was a one off but looks like they didn't do this for the initial run of cars I guess.

Last edited:
... The second, more surprising issue involves the fun-house warped plastic mirrors on the sunshades: evidently Tesla has no plan to replace these, and they continue to be delivered like this, even on the latest production cars!! I'm amazed that Tesla would be satisfied to place such a substandard-quality component just inches from the driver's face. Or perhaps mine is more warped than most? (Mirror, not face.) Has anyone else noticed this or had any luck getting it improved/fixed/replaced? ...

I checked my vanity mirrors on delivery 3 weeks ago and they were pretty substantial ... appear to be a traditional silvered glass mirror though not framed in any way. I'll look closer tonight and post a photo if no one else does first.

I just took in my early Sig P85 (VIN 00061) to service a bunch of minor issues. Get tires rotated, fix creaking sunroof, add P85 badging, replace balky mobile connector (won't open charge port), remove a piece of palm frond that somehow got stubbornly wedged into a gap behind the left front wheel, replace floor mats that were worn through and developing bald spots after just 6k miles, adjust the display of my car on the dashboard, which was showing the incorrect wheels on the speedometer display (but the correct wheels on the 17" touchscreen, oddly).

Two issues that will evidently NOT be fixed: my Sig car never had the rear-seat overhead lights, which are evidently not retrofittable, so I will just have to do without. No biggie. The second, more surprising issue involves the fun-house warped plastic mirrors on the sunshades: evidently Tesla has no plan to replace these, and they continue to be delivered like this, even on the latest production cars!! I'm amazed that Tesla would be satisfied to place such a substandard-quality component just inches from the driver's face. Or perhaps mine is more warped than most? (Mirror, not face.) Has anyone else noticed this or had any luck getting it improved/fixed/replaced?

Note: This post might more properly belong in the Quirks thread, but since it involves an early Sig car, I think it belongs here too.

Oddly, my early Sig (00118) does have the rear reading lights, but doesn't have mirrors of any kind on the back of the sun visors.

As an automotive engineer I know the business and I would never buy a car just after its launch to the market. You should always wait at least nine months. The best moment is two years after, or also one year after the eventual restyle/facelift.

As an automotive engineer I know the business and I would never buy a car just after its launch to the market. You should always wait at least nine months. The best moment is two years after, or also one year after the eventual restyle/facelift.

Though, If everyone followed that logic, there wouldn't be anyone making new cars. The balance would be automakers taking care of the early adopters with fixes and upgrades.

Um, I want this. Not present on my non-signature, VIN 5xxx. When did it start?

- - - Updated - - -

Oddly, my early Sig (00118) does have the rear reading lights, but doesn't have mirrors of any kind on the back of the sun visors.

Could someone be specific about the rear reading lights? There are two small round lights, one on either side. Are these the rear reading lights, or is there a different set of rear reading lights which are directly overhead? Mine (VIN 5xxx) has nothing directly overhead except a headliner which impinges substantially on rear headroom, and I've been puzzling over the headliner design.

Could someone be specific about the rear reading lights? There are two small round lights, one on either side. Are these the rear reading lights, or is there a different set of rear reading lights which are directly overhead? Mine (VIN 5xxx) has nothing directly overhead except a headliner which impinges substantially on rear headroom, and I've been puzzling over the headliner design.

You have the correct lights. There are no other lights available. Rear passengers can gently push the lens to activate the light for reading. I find that they provide sufficient lighting of the interior at night. I mainly drive at night.