Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current gen vs. Sig

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sun visor mirrors on the loaner has covers on the mirrors, and they are pretty substantial glass mirrors.

A few other things I noticed:
- no fog lights
- music playback always reverts to device picker after leaving the car (firmware 4.5) instead of staying in the artist or whatever folder
- passenger door shuts correctly and everything aligns correctly
- speakers seem better balanced between front and rear (Still not perfect, but better).
- body alignment in general much better

Um, I want this. Not present on my non-signature, VIN 5xxx. When did it start?

Could someone be specific about the rear reading lights? There are two small round lights, one on either side. Are these the rear reading lights, or is there a different set of rear reading lights which are directly overhead? Mine (VIN 5xxx) has nothing directly overhead except a headliner which impinges substantially on rear headroom, and I've been puzzling over the headliner design.
No footwell lights OR rear lights on my Sig, other than the lights in the doors.

It is a bit dark in there. Never really bothered me, I guess.

Mentioned photos of the vanity mirrors, been a busy week but here they are for VIN 83XX. As @ddenboer mentioned, they are fairly thick, traditional mirrors:

Mirror Closed.JPG
Mirror Open.JPG

It was. They actually took my old J1772 adapter away and replaced it with the new shiny one without asking (didn't notice until I got home). Something to do with the old ones expanding too much in the cold? Not sure about that though.

The old ones are a bit thick and you have to wedge the J1772 connector into it. My adapter has taken two outer rings off EVSE units already because it wedges too tight.

(I still have the older J1772 adapter.)

As an automotive engineer I know the business and I would never buy a car just after its launch to the market. You should always wait at least nine months. The best moment is two years after, or also one year after the eventual restyle/facelift.

No doubt, the first few cars off the line carry greater risk of problems, but hasn't the type of product monitoring and costomer communication used by TM advanced this timeline?

No doubt, the first few cars off the line carry greater risk of problems, but hasn't the type of product monitoring and costomer communication used by TM advanced this timeline?

I don't know if it's better now but in general with all products, V1 is really a Beta. V2 is always much better. With consumer electronics, you can afford to upgrade pretty regularly. With cars, not so much.

The fact that Tesla is applying continuous product improvement rather than the more traditional release cycle methodology is both reassuring and troubling at the same time. Reassuring in that each week, the car just gets better. Troubling in that it's much harder to know if your car has a specific issue or not. And, as has been shown in this thread, the early adopters who had to wait for long periods don't have the best versions. I suspect that within a year or so, Tesla will slow down the improvement cycle and maybe even move to the more traditional release cycle approach. Probably about the time they start shipping the X...