Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Largest Gap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure there has been multiple threads like this, but couldn't find them.

As the title says, submit your entry to the largest current gap in the Supercharger infrastructure. Just to make it easier, should probably say that it needs to be on the interstate system.

I submit the one near me: the stretch between Council Bluffs, IA and Sioux Falls, SD on I-29. It's 182 miles between Supercharges.

Oklahoma City, OK to Little Rock, AR - 349 miles from Supercharger to Supercharger.

This is an absurd distance without Supercharging for such a highly traveled interstate.
Granted, that is definitely #1.

Just to make it easier, should probably say that it needs to be on the interstate system.
I don't really see why that should be a restriction. In the really large mountain west states, there are many main routes where a U.S. federal highway is the route instead of an interstate. The huge Bermuda Triangle at the corner of Idaho, Oregon, and Nevada has a few significant U.S. highway routes through it that go for 250+ miles without Supercharger coverage, where to go around on interstates adds 50%+ to the distance. It's a pretty glaring omission. The path that everyone takes between San Francisco and Boise uses one of these.

I don't really see why that should be a restriction. In the really large mountain west states, there are many main routes where a U.S. federal highway is the route instead of an interstate. The huge Bermuda Triangle at the corner of Idaho, Oregon, and Nevada has a few significant U.S. highway routes through it that go for 250+ miles without Supercharger coverage, where to go around on interstates adds 50%+ to the distance. It's a pretty glaring omission. The path that everyone takes between San Francisco and Boise uses one of these.

Also US-40 in CO where rockslides/avalanches have in recent years blocked I-70 for days or weeks at a time. The Tesla Semis are certainly going to need redundant paths during the winter to make them economically viable.

Yes, it is important to keep in mind that there is no I-60 and I-50 going East-West and I-70 ends just south of SLC where it becomes I-15 going NW-SW. So we have those big gaps in the west between I-84 (SLC-Portland), I-80 (SLC-Reno), and I-15 (SLC-Vegas).

Yep, you guys are right. Definitely some huge holes still. Thankfully there are much less today than there were 1 or 2 years ago. Here's hoping that a year from now many of the holes will be patched.
No thanks to statements like what Elon made at the end of 2018 saying that Tesla would double the size of the supercharger network again in the 2019 calendar year. That definitely fizzled after the announcement of the v3 superchargers once overall supercharger construction has slowed to a crawl. Some blame production of the new v3 style supercharger hardware but the fact of the matter remains that Tesla fell embarrassingly short of their promise.

Oklahoma City, OK to Little Rock, AR - 349 miles from Supercharger to Supercharger.

This is an absurd distance without Supercharging for such a highly traveled interstate.

Clearwater, Minnesota to Billings, MT. 787 miles.

It is along I-94, though there is a parallel highway 90 to the south. It looks like they wholesale avoid the entire state of North Dakota.

Whats worse about this route it it is completely impassible. For example to go to Bismark, ND your closest supercharger is 259 miles (Murdo, South Dakota 57559). Most cars cannot really go this distance.

If you were going OK city to Little rock, you could take a long route through Texarkana, TX and then you'd only be 149 miles.

In either case, if you are part of a longer transit journey, these legs can simply be avoided.

Looks like most of the current “blue permit” pins are in metro areas to deal with sc congestion, not gaps. My guess is that the state highway gaps will not be filled until the cyber truck comes out? Oregon really needs some more love especially since it is next to the ev capital CA

Reactions: camthehombre