Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Largest Gap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting topic. A couple people in here have mentioned the Tesla semi. Surely they are not going to use superchargers. I would think due to sheer vehicle size and enormous battery they are going to use special company specific based charging infrastructure.

Interesting topic. A couple people in here have mentioned the Tesla semi. Surely they are not going to use superchargers. I would think due to sheer vehicle size and enormous battery they are going to use special company specific based charging infrastructure.
Yes, they have already named them "Megachargers".
Tesla has new megachargers for its Semi trucks

Reactions: Chisale
US-20 between Lusk, WY and Sioux City, IA: 446 miles
(alternate route: via I-90: 573 miles)
US-400/US-54 between Wichita KS and Tucumcari NM: 418 miles
(alternate route: via OKC: 528 miles)
US-63/IA-163/US-61 between Des Moines, IA and St Louis MO: 349 miles
(alternate route: via Coralville to St Louis: 370 miles, if you can bridge that gap; or via KC or Springfield, IL: ~435 miles)

Rock Springs WY to Billings MT (383 mi). How I wish Cody would come online soon. It's been a dot on Tesla's official map forever! Even then, Rock Springs to Cody is still too far. It is hard for Eastern US Tesla owners to get to Yellowstone without a lot of planning. Ideally, if Tesla built out Cody, Riverton, Casper, Buffalo, and Douglas the state would be somewhat driveable. If Tesla could just broaden the rural road network west of the Mississippi where there is no viable freeway alternative, it could spur more demand and make it easier for current owners to take trips with confidence, especially in winter. I get that they have the data and know where the fleet is driving, but when there is no solid quick charging option there is obviously be no demand they could possibly be aware of. Has Tesla ever considered putting just two superchargers in the smaller towns and locations far away from any freeway?

Rock Springs WY to Billings MT (383 mi). How I wish Cody would come online soon. It's been a dot on Tesla's official map forever! Even then, Rock Springs to Cody is still too far. It is hard for Eastern US Tesla owners to get to Yellowstone without a lot of planning. Ideally, if Tesla built out Cody, Riverton, Casper, Buffalo, and Douglas the state would be somewhat driveable. If Tesla could just broaden the rural road network west of the Mississippi where there is no viable freeway alternative, it could spur more demand and make it easier for current owners to take trips with confidence, especially in winter. I get that they have the data and know where the fleet is driving, but when there is no solid quick charging option there is obviously be no demand they could possibly be aware of. Has Tesla ever considered putting just two superchargers in the smaller towns and locations far away from any freeway?
If you are doing all the work, it's only a small bit more work to build for the future and build 6 or 8 stations. 2 won't be useful in another 3 or 4 years, especially if one of them is broken down.

The easiest/cheapest thing for Tesla to do would be to more pro-actively help third parties attach Tesla CHAdeMO adapters to their charging stations. Especially in rural areas where there aren't any Superchargers - and won't be for a long time. EVgo is doing that a bit here in the Bay Area and in SoCal - even though we are blessed with many Supercharger sites. Silly for individual car owners to have to buy occasionally used CHAdeMO adapters when the adapters could be much better utilized directly attached to the charging stations.

For example, US 50 between the Stateline, NV and, say, the Richfield, UT Superchargers is almost 580 miles. With CHAdeMO, the gap shortens to between Fallon, NV and Scipio, UT - about 451 miles. Ely NV is coming on line Real Soon (weeks) - which will then shorten the gap to 258 miles. It would cost a measly $1k/each (wholesale priced adapter + some mounting hardware + some labor) to attach CHAdeMO adapters to each of the CHAdeMO charging stations at those sites.

Last edited:
Ely NV is coming on line Real Soon (weeks)
Excuse me?! Come on! You can't just offhandedly throw out a nugget like that without elaborating. WHAT is coming online Real Soon?! There is no thread going yet for a Supercharger in construction there. And Electrify America doesn't show any coming soon thing there yet. I can't find a source for any kind of fast charging in progress in Ely, much less something that would be ready in some weeks. What exactly are you referring to, and do you have a source?

Excuse me?! Come on! You can't just offhandedly throw out a nugget like that without elaborating. WHAT is coming online Real Soon?! There is no thread going yet for a Supercharger in construction there. And Electrify America doesn't show any coming soon thing there yet. I can't find a source for any kind of fast charging in progress in Ely, much less something that would be ready in some weeks. What exactly are you referring to, and do you have a source?
It's one of the CCS/CHAdeMO stations being added as part of the state of Nevada's Nevada Electric Highway program which is using some of the funds from the VW settlement to add charging stations along important highways. Thread discussing the map: Nevada Electric Highway map

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
It's one of the CCS/CHAdeMO stations being added as part of the state of Nevada's Nevada Electric Highway program which is using some of the funds from the VW settlement to add charging stations along important highways. Thread discussing the map: Nevada Electric Highway map
Ah, yes, part of that project. I was thinking of some status update that was more recent or concrete (pun intended). I checked the status there for the Ely site, and the last update says, "Grant award: December 2018". So...probably not due to be finished in "weeks".

Ah, yes, part of that project. I was thinking of some status update that was more recent or concrete (pun intended). I checked the status there for the Ely site, and the last update says, "Grant award: December 2018". So...probably not due to be finished in "weeks".

A couple of us have been in private contact with the State of Nevada folks on this. The West Wendover CCS/CHAdeMO is now on-line - even though it hasn't shown up on plugshare yet. Not much use to Tesla owners as it is literally across the street, well, kitty corner, from the Tesla Supercharger site. Ely is underway. Austin and/or Cold Springs after that.