Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current lease is up soon - what do do between now and Model3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a similar conundrum. Volkswagen is literally paying me $7k more than my diesel Jetta is worth to get rid of it, so I'm totally taking them up on their offer. The question is, do I use the cash to pay for a lease for ~2 years, or get the cheapest used Civic I can afford and put the extra money towards M3 trim options?

My mind says the latter but my heart says the former.

I seriously considered the S60 2-year lease, but I just can't bring myself to put out the extra money to do it on top of what I'd be getting for my current car. So tempting though...

In the end though, I think I'm going the patient route and getting a decent $5k used car to hold me over. I'll hate every minute of driving it, but it'll be an investment in the future. ;)
Get the 3-5 year old civic with the options you need.

Reactions: Red Sage
After so much back and forth.. We ended up leasing a base Chevy volt yesterday for 3 years.

What played a factor:
- CA state rebate just came back for plugins/electric
- Carpool lane sticker just came back for plugins

We ended paying $258 a month after CA tax. We paid $595 at signing. That's for 15,000 miles a year. We will get $1,500 from CA.

We really wanted the model s but we just did not want to spend $1k a month on a car. Overall that's less than 1/4th of the cost of leasing a model s.

We will wait for the model 3 and try to get it as soon as possible to try to qualify for the tax credit. We will possibly transfer the lease on the volt or sell our other car. Unfortunately in order to transfer the lease on the volt we need to wait 30 months.