Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current non-Tesla owners who plan to buy a Model ≡ ; Have you test driven a Model S?

Current non Telsa owners planning to purchase model ≡ ; have you test driven a Model S?

• Yes

Votes: 102 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 62 37.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a Model S 90D for the first time yesterday in Indy. It literally was the the most awesome experience in a vehicle I've had since I started driving. My wife has patiently been putting up with my "Teslasession" (Tesla obsession)for a while now. I've been talking around the house about how I really want to get a Model ≡, when it becomes available. She has always been like "that's great honey, sure, yep, zzz....." after yesterday... "WE HAVE TO GET ONE OF THOSE!". Kurt at the Indy store did a fantastic job walking us thru the vehicle. If the Model ≡ has similar options that behave similarly (which they should) this is going to be a new era in the auto world for everyone. So unfortunately for me, I just amplified what excitement I had for the 31st to a "whole notha level". If you have driven a Model S what has your experience been like?

Yup. Was at a conference in Scottsdale, AZ and just happened to come across a Tesla Gallery in the mall. I had already been in a Tesla Gallery at Dadeland in Miami so I was already familiar with the Model S, so the next step was naturally to set up a test drive. Set up a Model S test drive in Orlando after I got home from the conference. Don't recall whether it was a D or not, but I was impressed nonetheless. Didn't get to take it out on a highway, but I did get to gun it down a back road. Was sold on owning a Tesla at that point.

It might seem weird but I want my first Tesla experience to be the day I first sit in my own Model 3.

+1

I don't want to overly influence my expectations about a Model 3. Since it will be a smaller car, it may handle differently than an S. I am sure it will still be great, but it might be like the difference between driving an A6 vs an A4. You can tell the A6 is a much larger vehicle when you drive it.

I am already driving an EV, so I am getting to experience the largest delta between an ICE car now (insta-torque, regen pedal driving, no engine noise, etc). I expect the 3 to be sportier and a bit more nimble than my Volt. Like the difference between a Honda Accord and a BMW 3-Series.

Reactions: FalconFour
probably a weird outlier, here, but I have never test-driven a car that I have purchased.

Yeah, except for a small phase of "I should buy a Lotus!", I've bought every car I've test driven, since by the time I'm at that point, I know I want the car unless it handles terribly. And because I had a broken ankle one time, my number of test drives equal purchases.

I do feel guilty test driving unless I'm really interested in the car. But I can see test driving a Model S before actual ordering begins, just to get some semblance of driving a Tesla. But it's not like any of us are going to not like what we see if we drive a Model S!

I did...and I never should have, because now I'm trying to figure out ways to get into the MS. I'm not a big spender on myself, and it probably won't happen but like previously mentioned similarly driving a Model S is like no other experience, it is an experience similar to when you owned your first car or were able to drive on your own. I'm lucky enough to have a Tesla Gallery near me and my office is nearby the mall where the Gallery is as well. I test drove the 90d about two weeks ago for the first time ever and it was simply amazing.

I do plan on going in again and test driving the vehicle as well as they told me they can place the 90d in a S 70 configuration (demo) where the car will drive like the 70 and on rear wheel drive (almost unbelievable) so that I can see if the 90d was just a pipe dream because of the power and 4 wheel drive and if I will like the way the S 70 feels. I currently drive a BMW 5 series (that is all but sold already) and have become accustomed to the larger car, however the S 70 is just outside of my budget and the fact that the MODEL 3 is late 2017 will absolutely drive me nuts...I will have to find some alternative to this childish want of this car.

"that's great honey, sure, yep, zzz....." after yesterday... "WE HAVE TO GET ONE OF THOSE!".
LOL! I used that strategy, for the same reasons, and got the exact same reaction from my SO.
In her defense she was actually the one that suggested we visit the Austin TX store when we were at the mall down there last summer. Tesla had been on my automotive radar ever since measuring some components on an early MS for work and driving it around a bit at low speed back in 2013. However as impressed as I was, I never gave it any serious thought due to the price. Then last year I discovered the M3 plans, read the Wait-But-Why 4 part blog, Ashley Vance's book... and Saw The Light (cue scene from Blues Brothers).
We would have had a test drive in Austin had we not arrived so late, the staff there was incredibly friendly and was even willing to break the schedule rules but I didn't want to put them out. However once I joined the forum here the wife began getting a little weary of the obsessive daily reports and long nights of me glowing with tablet in hand, so I thought to get her back on board we ought to take a run down to our home store (Montreal) and go for a ride. We didn't have an appointment but Alfredo was good enough to get us in a P85D on the spot and in no time we were launching it down the back streets. After the second time she said "that was INCREDIBLE, but I think my organs are no longer in the correct place... we'd better stop unless you want to re-detail the interior". However she didn't stop talking about the experience for weeks, how amazing it was to move so quickly in near silence, and now completely gets it.
I totally understand MTL_HABS1909's position about wanting the M3 to be his "first", I'm sure many here might feel the same. But in my case after 35 years of hardcore ICE addiction I really needed to fully experience what I was committing to, especially since my M3 when configured will likely cost more than three times what I've ever paid for any previous car. And I may even go so far as to rent an MS for a day sometime between now and 2018 just to keep that fire going (and reassure my lady that the big number that's going to appear on our LOC statement for a loooonnnnnggg time will be so worth it).

I did...and I never should have, because now I'm trying to figure out ways to get into the MS. I'm not a big spender on myself, and it probably won't happen but like previously mentioned similarly driving a Model S is like no other experience, it is an experience similar to when you owned your first car or were able to drive on your own. I'm lucky enough to have a Tesla Gallery near me and my office is nearby the mall where the Gallery is as well. I test drove the 90d about two weeks ago for the first time ever and it was simply amazing.

I do plan on going in again and test driving the vehicle as well as they told me they can place the 90d in a S 70 configuration (demo) where the car will drive like the 70 and on rear wheel drive (almost unbelievable) so that I can see if the 90d was just a pipe dream because of the power and 4 wheel drive and if I will like the way the S 70 feels. I currently drive a BMW 5 series (that is all but sold already) and have become accustomed to the larger car, however the S 70 is just outside of my budget and the fact that the MODEL 3 is late 2017 will absolutely drive me nuts...I will have to find some alternative to this childish want of this car.

Maybe you should keep a close watch on the CPO inventory.

I am similar, once I test drive something, I am normally just weeks away from buying it. Test driving an S would just be an exercise in frustration right now, knowing I have several years to wait.

I do wonder how much of the amazing test drive experience is due to Tesla, and how much of it is similar to all EVs, and how much nicer they drive than ICE cars. I was amazed when I drove my Volt - it was a very cool experience to feel all that torque right off the line. And the no gears, just super smooth acceleration. And all the cool tech stuff - being able to monitor your kW output into and out of the battery, etc. I do expect the Tesla to drive better, but I am not expecting a world-changing experience. More like upgrading to a sportier car.

Maybe you should keep a close watch on the CPO inventory.

I am similar, once I test drive something, I am normally just weeks away from buying it. Test driving an S would just be an exercise in frustration right now, knowing I have several years to wait.

I do wonder how much of the amazing test drive experience is due to Tesla, and how much of it is similar to all EVs, and how much nicer they drive than ICE cars. I was amazed when I drove my Volt - it was a very cool experience to feel all that torque right off the line. And the no gears, just super smooth acceleration. And all the cool tech stuff - being able to monitor your kW output into and out of the battery, etc. I do expect the Tesla to drive better, but I am not expecting a world-changing experience. More like upgrading to a sportier car.

as for the CPO list I have been but they are very similar to what they go for retail...a few thousand off and I'm looking for a base S 70 with just leather if I were to pull the trigger on one.

My bigger issue is I think that my car is sold (pending final payment from buyers bank) and I'm in the air about what I want to do. I know with 100% certainty I want a Model 3 but I'm not sure if to get into like a 3 year old Hyundai sonata (just something really cheap for the next 18 months) I was considering the LEAF but I don't really like the way it looks...

Tesla was the first EV car I had driven in...I think when the I3 first came out I sat in one while it was on and moved maybe 3 feet in a parking lot but it was undoubtedly an amazing technological experience as well as driving experience

I have driven the Model S P90D on backroads and highway (using autopilot for a portion of the drive).

Model S and Model X are far too large for my parking infrastructure, but I wanted to get a sense of the performance level of the Tesla powertrain, as well as the general handling characteristics and comfort level of a Tesla vehicle. I was overall very impressed with Model S. I think this is a good indicator of the high quality of engineering that we should see in Model 3. A smaller, more nimble vehicle along the same lines as Model S would work very well for me.

as for the CPO list I have been but they are very similar to what they go for retail...a few thousand off and I'm looking for a base S 70 with just leather if I were to pull the trigger on one.

My bigger issue is I think that my car is sold (pending final payment from buyers bank) and I'm in the air about what I want to do. I know with 100% certainty I want a Model 3 but I'm not sure if to get into like a 3 year old Hyundai sonata (just something really cheap for the next 18 months) I was considering the LEAF but I don't really like the way it looks...

Well, if I was in that position and I didn't need a 5 seater, I might pick up a used Volt or used Leaf for super cheap to drive until the 3 comes out. That gets you into and enjoying an EV now, without having to outlay a bunch of cash for a car you may only drive 2 years.

I agree about the Leaf's looks. I guess they are an acquired taste. I am biased, but I do love my Volt and will very happily drive it until the 3 is released.

Reactions: GSP
While I'm still a complete EV noob, having only tried Prius, MS and i3, I can say that I felt some of those same from-the-future experiences across platforms. I was fortunate enough to have the i3 on and off for 5 days and was really impressed with its performance, more than enough power for day-to-day driving and the instantaneous torque really makes it feel like its punching above its weight. If not for the very limited range and Bauhaus phone booth looks I might have considered it.

Reactions: Az_Rael
Well, if I was in that position and I didn't need a 5 seater, I might pick up a used Volt or used Leaf for super cheap to drive until the 3 comes out. That gets you into and enjoying an EV now, without having to outlay a bunch of cash for a car you may only drive 2 years.

I agree about the Leaf's looks. I guess they are an acquired taste. I am biased, but I do love my Volt and will very happily drive it until the 3 is released.

The Chevy Volt looks interesting...Thanks I will consider it.

From all the great drive test stories I've read, I'm a bit too scared to fall in love with the model S since I wouldn't be able to afford it. So that's one reason, the other being I'm not quite 25 yet so they wouldnt let me when I tried to schedule a test drive. I don't want the thoughts of "I NEED A MODEL S" floating around in my head for the next several years haha.

Yes. The cars are just enough normal to make the transition easy and tons of instant torque to make you smile.

Drives:
S85 on Martha's Vineyard at test drive event
SP85D test drive at NYC store
SP90D at Double Black tour event at Citifield, including snow section