Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current onboard charger in S and X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, that's funny, because I live in Boise, and there have been routes out of Boise that were enabled for several years by very high amp wall connectors that required the high power onboard charger. Going through eastern Oregon to Bend, and going southwest to Winnemucca were both like that.

That's because of an infrastructure difference. Europe has very common three phase electricity available in a lot of places. With three phase, you can deliver a lot more power for the same thickness of cabling and wire runs to the charging locations (cost issues). That is a nice advantage there.

Same thing in north central Washington. If you want to take highways 2, 20 or 97, 80-amp L2 makes it possible.

As a reference point you can still get a 72amp if you pay out of pocket as of a year ago. Had a failure on the 48amp and I was out of warranty. SC had to get permission.

We have 200 amp garage. One dedicated 100amp for the 72amp S. Then another wall charger on a separate circuit. We will have 3 cars charging at night with very high daily milage on all three. One car that has to be able to go a long way without super charging at just about any time of day. So there are use cases like mine, just rare.

I have found places I wanted faster L2 charging. Many. Driving backwards to get faster charging is hard to do when one is not on a leisurely stroll across the country. I love getting off the supercharger highway and traveling away from it or along side of it. Stopping in the middle of the day for hours is hard sometimes. Not ending up at a hotel with charging neccistates charging during the day especially in the winter. Also most L2's that I find aren't even enough to have a lunch and pick up much range. Again off the supercharger highway. I would have to eat lunches all day long.
What month/year & Model do you have? Raven...?
Just curious if this is something that could be done with a new order

What month/year & Model do you have? Raven...?
Just curious if this is something that could be done with a new order

17 S100D. I would say 100% no on new order. Depends on how creative you can get with your local SC. You could talk to service and see if it is even compatible. Then see if it can be ordered and swapped after purchase. Not sure how much the old charger would be worth on secondary market. Not sure if you need special toolbox to install software etc.....

Mine new was stamped 72 amp on outside of box. We tore open the 48amp, and it was more than just the fuse. One of the boards had melted in an area, and fuse blew as well. Still could AC charge but reduced amazing as it looked like a little melted plastic mess.

Side note: Tech didn't enable the 72amp in the software. It worked till the next update then threw a fault blocking my AC charging. Car was like where did this other fuse come from? Was not too happy about that. Another trip to another state to fix and I rolled in with 2% on a Thursday. Tesla left my car to 0 for the weekend. Good news I got a 72amp I guess.:confused:

17 S100D. I would say 100% no on new order. Depends on how creative you can get with your local SC. You could talk to service and see if it is even compatible. Then see if it can be ordered and swapped after purchase. Not sure how much the old charger would be worth on secondary market. Not sure if you need special toolbox to install software etc.....

Mine new was stamped 72 amp on outside of box. We tore open the 48amp, and it was more than just the fuse. One of the boards had melted in an area, and fuse blew as well. Still could AC charge but reduced amazing as it looked like a little melted plastic mess.

Side note: Tech didn't enable the 72amp in the software. It worked till the next update then threw a fault blocking my AC charging. Car was like where did this other fuse come from? Was not too happy about that. Another trip to another state to fix and I rolled in with 2% on a Thursday. Tesla left my car to 0 for the weekend. Good news I got a 72amp I guess.:confused:
As I suspected.:(
It is still unclear whether the newer models that were produced later in 2018 are even compatible with legacy 72 amp chargers

This is REALLY disappointing to hear! The 72amp charging in the Model S will be sorely missed for me. My '18 100D would charge at 35mph at home (48amps) and 53mph at my office (72amps) My LR Model 3 will charge at 46mph (48amps) so not a huge decrease from what my Model S was, but I'm about to purchase a new Model S and to be forced to go back to 35mph charging really is a big deal. I prefer to charge at my office as opposed to home (the electricity is obviously a write off) but I'm not always in my office the 7- 8 hours it would take to fully charge. The 4.5-5hrs at the higher rate was never a problem. Being in Montana, if I want to venture too far off I-90 I'm forced to use destination charging anyway.

Personally, I think it sucks that Tesla has their "flagship" Model S and Model X charge slower than their "entry level" Model 3 and Model Y. (remember, it's not the amperage, it's the MPH charge that matters. The S needs a higher amperage / MPH charge rate as it has a higher amperage draw when driving)

I'm curious if a 72amp charger can be fitted to a new Raven S as well.
Anybody hear anything if Free supercharging is coming back around?

While at the service center today, I asked the service technician about the 72 amp charger/compatibility with current models (Raven). He is researching it. He said there is a service bulletin that describes the upgrade process from 48 to 72 being limited to specific model years. However because of the age of the bulletin, it doesn’t really answer the question going forward from the point that the bulletin was written. I will post the answer I receive if and when I get it.