Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current owner - reserve M3 for a friend?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my opinion your friend is better served reserving in his name, even if it implies some more months of wait.
He will have to pay taxes and none of you will be eligible to use the tax credit incentive.

I don't believe it will make much difference now too. I think current owners will be given priority relative to reservations made around the same time, not that a owner reserving now will be given priority over a non owner that reserved several months ago.

Assuming you won't be able to transfer it, you'll both have to pay taxes on it, you when you buy it from Tesla and him when he buys it from you. Since he's now buying a used car, unless he's paying you in cash, he won't get as good a rate on a loan. Finally, neither of you would be eligible for the tax credit.

Assuming you won't be able to transfer it, you'll both have to pay taxes on it, you when you buy it from Tesla and him when he buys it from you. Since he's now buying a used car, unless he's paying you in cash, he won't get as good a rate on a loan. Finally, neither of you would be eligible for the tax credit.
Yeah, seems a bit tricky. Guess i'll just reserve one for my wife, tho wouldn't want to take delivery until Jan. 2018 given I just bought a Model S this year.

Reactions: Kacey Green

I don't believe it will make much difference now too. I think current owners will be given priority relative to reservations made around the same time, not that a owner reserving now will be given priority over a non owner that reserved several months ago.
You think that why? I was told by a local Tesla employee and a corporate employee that I would move ahead of any nonowner when I purchased my S in December (nine months after the reveal). I deposited my $1000 on March 31, 2016 in the morning anyway so moving up further isn't a big deal for me, probably. But posts like yours obviously catch my eye and yours is not the first to make this claim. Can you share with us the basis for you posting that new S owners probably won't jump above nonowners who reserved months ago?

You think that why? I was told by a local Tesla employee and a corporate employee that I would move ahead of any nonowner when I purchased my S in December (nine months after the reveal). I deposited my $1000 on March 31, 2016 in the morning anyway so moving up further isn't a big deal for me, probably. But posts like yours obviously catch my eye and yours is not the first to make this claim. Can you share with us the basis for you posting that new S owners probably won't jump above nonowners who reserved months ago?
I think Tesla has some consideration for people who stayed in the line to reserve in the stores and who made reservations pre reveal. I don't think they would give priority to an owner who reserved today over someone who reserved the first day.
Also there is the location priority. If you are a non-owner in California you will get your car before an owner in Europe for sure if you made the reservation around the same time.

The two situations are not the same. You had a pre-reveal reservation and then became an owner which gives your existing reservation priority and moves it up even further. In the other case it is an owner who is only now placing a reservation, being an owner gives them some priority but probably not all the way to the front of the line. In either case though, no one knows for sure.

I think Tesla has some consideration for people who stayed in the line to reserve in the stores and who made reservations pre reveal. I don't think they would give priority to an owner who reserved today over someone who reserved the first day.
I'll repeat my question because this claim keeps being repeated and I have yet to hear anyone substantiate it. Other than wishful thinking, what is your basis for believing any owner as of when Model 3 configurator opens will not move above all nonowners? I realize geography is a factor, but if, for example, you reserved in Tempe, AZ on 3/31/2016 and I bought an S there today, I would move ahead of you is what I was told by two Tesla employees, one in Tempe, one at Corporate. (I checked with corporate because I was skeptical.)

I was also told that my contact information including phone number, address etc. in MyTesla must match for both my S and my 3 reservation, as that is what Tesla would be looking for when allowing my order -- not the date of my S purchase or anything else.

I will go back to Tesla and ask the question again if you assure me that you have been told the opposite by Tesla.

Reactions: caltechkid
I will go back to Tesla and ask the question again if you assure me that you have been told the opposite by Tesla.

I was never told directly by Tesla, only read it here around the forum. I don't think they have made any official statement about the period during which an owner would have priority over a non owner.

I was also told that my contact information including phone number, address etc. in MyTesla must match for both my S and my 3 reservation, as that is what Tesla would be looking for when allowing my order -- not the date of my S purchase or anything else.

I believe you have to use the same Tesla account to reserve/purchase the Model 3 that you use for your Model S. In which case can you have two different contact information?

This isn't true for the federal credit. There is no minimum ownership time requirement. Reservation holder can legally claim, even if he/she only holds car for a day. State incentives are a different story.
It's not a minimum ownership issue. The federal credit says "The vehicles must be acquired for use or lease and not for resale." so getting it with the intent of selling it to someone else would disqualify them.

I was never told directly by Tesla, only read it here around the forum. I don't think they have made any official statement about the period during which an owner would have priority over a non owner.

I believe you have to use the same Tesla account to reserve/purchase the Model 3 that you use for your Model S. In which case can you have two different contact information?
As we get close to configurator opening, we all probably should rely on [email protected] to answer these questions. I asked a question today and got a very direct, unambiguous answer within five minutes. Of course, I was lucky to get such a quick answer. Must be a rare, slow day at Corporate!

I have an early M3 reservation. But just bought the MS so I don't really want it.

Anyone think there is a market for a zero-mile M3, configured the way you want it? I understand neither party would get the tax credit and both would pay sales tax.

Anyone want one that badly? I'd only consider this if I could make a small profit as well.

I have an early M3 reservation. But just bought the MS so I don't really want it.

Anyone think there is a market for a zero-mile M3, configured the way you want it? I understand neither party would get the tax credit and both would pay sales tax.

Anyone want one that badly? I'd only consider this if I could make a small profit as well.

Dear Sir,

I have been requested by the Nigerian Petroleum Company to contact you in resolving a matter. The Nigerian Petroleum Company is desirous of acquiring a Tesla Model 3 electric motor vehicle hastily. However, because of certain regulations of the Nigerian government, it is unable to acquire the electric motor vehicle on its own.

Your assistance is requested as a non-Nigerian citizen with a current reservation to assist the Nigerian Petrolium Company in acquiring the vehicle in haste. In exchange for your accommodating services, the Nigerian Petroleum Company would agree to retain 52% of the purchase price of the electric motor vehicle, or $35,512.00, whichever is greater.

However, to be a legitimate transferee of these moneys according to Nigerian law, you must presently be a depositor of at least $1,000 in a Nigerian bank which is regulated by the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Please call me at your earliest convenience at 18-467-4975. Time is of the essence in this matter, very quickly.

Yours truly,

Prince Alyusi Islassis

I'll repeat my question because this claim keeps being repeated and I have yet to hear anyone substantiate it. Other than wishful thinking, what is your basis for believing any owner as of when Model 3 configurator opens will not move above all nonowners?
Get a current Model S/X owner out there who hasn't already reserved a Model 3 to make a reservation today. Obviously, it has to be someone who doesn't mind tying up $1,000 temporarily. :) Wait for the delivery estimates to be generated by Tesla and see they are in the Nov 2017-Jan 2018 / Jan-Mar 2018 timeframes given for Day 1 non-owners. If so, that confirms your theory. If the dates are mid- 2018 or later, then the assumptions made by others are more likely correct (i.e., new Model 3 reservations made by current S/X owners do not trump existing reservations made by non-owners months ago).

Reactions: Kacey Green