Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Owners: How do you use your iPhones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. I will be taking delivery of my new MX soon, but I have a few questions for you current owners. How do you use your iPhones in your car currently? This is something that I wasn't very clear on when I did my test drive, so I would love to hear feedback from the community.

For example, in my current vehicles (Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKC) they have Ford's voice command system (SYNC), controlled by a button on the steering wheel. If I hold the SYNC button down it will start Siri on whichever iPhone is connected (either bluetooth or USB). That allows me to dictate and send text messages while I drive, which I find incredibly useful. I can also tell Siri to play certain songs, playlists, etc, which is cool, but my main use-case is for sending text messages.

Is there any way to do something similar on the Tesla? I figure I can always try "Hey Siri", but that seems to be hit or miss for me.

One last question, how does the Tesla handle multiple phones in the car at the same time? For example if I am driving and I have my phone connected via bluetooth, but my daughter wants to connect to stream some music from the back seat. Is that supported?

Thanks for the help!

The car will let you keep a list of known Bluetooth phones but only let you connect one at a time so you would have to switch it to your daughters phone to let her stream.

If the phone is connected to the car and a different media source is selected then audio from the phone, Such as a podcast in advertently playing on the phone, will not be heard. Any media will be interrupted by a phone call which can then be handled by the scroll wheel.

If you allow your phone contacts to be shared you can ask the car to dial a number for you.
There is no interface to texting or reading back messages like there is directly available from Siri.

The car will let you keep a list of known Bluetooth phones but only let you connect one at a time so you would have to switch it to your daughters phone to let her stream.

If the phone is connected to the car and a different media source is selected then audio from the phone, Such as a podcast in advertently playing on the phone, will not be heard. Any media will be interrupted by a phone call which can then be handled by the scroll wheel.

If you allow your phone contacts to be shared you can ask the car to dial a number for you.
There is no interface to texting or reading back messages like there is directly available from Siri.

Thanks Gwgan, I appreciate the insight. I am bummed to learn that there is no texting capability. I guess I will just need to use "Hey Siri" for now, or learn to text/drive with autopilot.

Everything else sounds pretty standard, so that all makes sense. Thanks again!

Wait - I’m able to use the Hey Siri command & then dictate text messages handsfree through the Bluetooth communication to my phone.

Wait - I’m able to use the Hey Siri command & then dictate text messages handsfree through the Bluetooth communication to my phone.
Yes, but that is just using Siri., albeit with the car microphone. If the car could connect directly with those phone services you would not have to leave the phone in listening mode.