Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Owners: Question about range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a reach. If I run completely out of juice with the Tesla I need to get towed to somewhere that I can plug in, and wait for hours. With an ICE, someone can just bring a can of fuel.
That is changing though. Startups coming along that allow some charging on location enough to get to a charging station. Going to be more expensive than typical AAA visit to jump a car. Gain 10 miles for each 15 minutes from what I understand. Hubby can explain later.

Enter destination in the navigation system--it will estimate battery remaining at destination and also remaining after a round trip back to start. These estimates will change as you drive. So you can see if you might run into trouble. Also, if you are going to need a supercharger stop, nav system will include this in your routing, even if the need is due to more energy expended than expected, not realized until the middle of your trip.

WRT buffer, the winter is tricky as you'll see. But if the weather is 50 or better, 10% is plenty.

I always thought it odd the nav by default shows remaining charge to return to the origin, esp when starting the nav from some random place - I.e.why would I want to go back to where I came from?

But now makes sense: it's all about knowing you can make it back to a safe charging origin, esp when setting out from home base!

I always thought it odd the nav by default shows remaining charge to return to the origin, esp when starting the nav from some random place - I.e.why would I want to go back to where I came from?

But now makes sense: it's all about knowing you can make it back to a safe charging origin, esp when setting out from home base!
Our first trip to Cape Cod, the car couldn’t know I planned to recharge from dryer outlet at summer house. Nav wanted us to stop at the Sagamore Supercharger before the bridge to ensure the car had sufficient range to reach the house and return to Sagamore.

We only needed enough range to safely reach Wellfleet. Now the car knows it can recharge there, and sets limit to 24 Amps.

I don't have my 3 yet, but have been debating on routes on some regular trips. We often drive from Dallas to Michigan. aBRP routes us up US75 to Tulsa. The first SC we go by on that route is 254 miles from home just east of Tulsa. I'm sure I'll be puckering with that as the first leg in the summer with AC blaring, unless they add in a new SC before we make that drive. The Tesla app says to go east on 40 through Little rock, then north on 55 west of Memphis. The problem is that it routes us east of Memphis to hit the SC there, then back west through town to hook up to 55. That's about 55 miles out of the way through city traffic both ways. If I skip the Memphis SC it is about 270 miles from Little rock to Miner, MO. I'd probably be better off slowing to 60 mph for that leg than driving through Memphis twice, but again much puckering. I'd also need to sit in Little rock to get up near 100% before trying that leg, so definitely a lunch stop, and maybe a little shopping. aBRP shows 23:09 total for the drive at 1265 miles, while the Tesla app is at 26:16 & 1347 miles, so a significant difference between the two.