Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Owners - What are the must have options and options you could live without?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dpavid, my two cents....I live in mililani too and commute to downtown for work. I use TACC every day and I love it! it's great for Hawaii freeway traffic and will help keep you going around the same speed as everyone else especially in the speed trap areas on H2. Of course I didn't have autopilot on my first MS so could probably live without it but autopilot is one of the reasons I upgraded. Hope to see you around the neighborhood :)

We live in Waikele and totally agree with Nanimac. Auto Pilot was the main reason for us to trade up from a vintage 60 to a 70D. If audio is important to you I recommend standard audio then after market REUS upgrade. We did upgraded audio followed with the REUS upgrade.

Autopilot - I would probably get it. Cool stuff if they deliver and I think they will eventually.

Premium Interior - Not having a power lift gate on a car in this price range is crazy. I would get, but feel screwed because the rest of the stuff is fluff.

Air suspension - I skipped and have not needed it in over 14 months.

Sound System - I did not get it and with I had. I am not impressed with base system.

Cold Weather - I live in Southern, AZ so no.

Rear Seats - Would rather have the space. By the way this fits perfect in the cubby.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E81VN8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Pano roof - I think it's a must. Even in Tucson, AZ heat is not an issue. Extra headroom and really opens it up.

Wheels - I like the look of the 19's. Kind of classic.

Decor - I have straight black pano. No problem with finger prints.

Seats - I would get Textile if I where to re-order. My Tan seats where stained in 6 month and no I was not wearing new jeans.

Get everything. Life is too short not to really enjoy the MS to its fullest potential.

That said, if I were to give up on things, I would go with aftermarket rims/tires (sticking with 19" or 20" - 21" tires are expensive and don't last long) and skip the 3rd row seats.

Dear Owners and Future Owners,

I recently had my S85D in for service and got a P85+ loaner. I was able to make some pretty detailed comparisons that to-be owners might find useful, as well as people thinking of doing some after-delivery upgrades or replacements. So, here’s what I have, vs. what I got loaned (only pertinent features listed):

My car:

- 85D, 70,xxx series
- Air Suspension with 21” Wheels; ContiSilent 5S tires (18,000 miles)
- Premium Sound

Loaner car:

- P85+, 55,xxx series
- Air Suspension with 21” Wheels; Michelin Pilot Sport tires (4,700 miles)
- Standard Sound

I had the loaner for two days and drove about 250 miles. My work travels take me all over the SF Bay Area on good roads, rougher roads, highways, downtown streets, and residential roads on the Peninsula. I had the chance to play lots of Spotify premium on the stereo, drive for feel, and launch the loaner a couple times. Here are my observations:

RWD vs. AWD: The P85+ and the 85D have similar 0-60 performance. But the drive feel is quite different. Overall, the biggest difference is noise level. While I enjoy the electric whine of this very powerful electric car, some owners believe an electric car should be stealthy silent. If this is your goal, the RWD version is much, much quieter because you can’t hear the rear motor very well, but in the 85D, you can definitely hear the front motor. You hear it on acceleration and even louder on regenerative braking. I like the noise because it makes my car sound like NCC-1701D. Awesome.

The second biggest difference is in torque steer. In non-car nerd language, this just means that when you accelerate in a car with power at the front wheels, you can feel minor pulling forces in the steering wheel. To me, the Model S torque steer just makes it feel less “locked in” and actually easier to turn. You can definitely feel a strong pulling-through-the-corner sensation in the 85D. I’ve been told this is less so in the P85D and the 70D and that makes sense because of the difference in forward/rear power balance. Is the RWD solution a better feel for driving enthusiasts? I don’t think so … it’s just different. But purists will probably prefer the RWD solution with zero torque-steer and the more predictable steering inputs. If this paragraph just make you roll your eyes in a “WTF is this technical car crap,” you probably won’t care either way whether you get the AWD or RWD version of the Model S.

On launch, the 85D was far superior because of more grip. In the RWD car, it was apparent that even though the motor power was there, the tires were slipping and traction control had to kick in; full power could not be used until at least 10-15 mph. In my 85D, slippage is rarely noticeable, even on less-than-ideal surfaces. Of course, the 85D on launch has massive torque steer. I don’t mind that because I can control it well enough by now, but purists will probably give me a shaking head as they read this.

Finally, the regenerative braking feel is very different. The RWD Model S has perceptively less braking power from regen alone and it takes maybe 0.5-0.75 seconds more to reach maximum braking power. In the 85D, regen was powerful and allows me to use the brake pads far less.

Tires on 21” wheels: This was my first time being able to directly test the difference between the Michelin Pilot Sports and the ContinSilent 5S’s. Both cars had air and 21” wheels, so all things were pretty much equal. I can say without a doubt, there is a huge perceptible difference between the two tires. Despite my tires having more than 18,000 miles on them, they were far quieter than the loaner’s Michelin Pilot Sport’s tires with only 4,700 miles on them. I’m talking strictly about road noise. Wind noise was the same of course. So, while I have contemplated getting different tires when mine run out, now I’m actually very confident that the Michelin Pilot Sports will not be one of those choices. It was louder by maybe 25%, but also, the pitch/tone of the road noise was just annoying. It’s the difference between a whiny Backstreet Boy hitting a high note (the Michelin’s) vs. Frank Sinatra giving you that hum to go with your scotch (the ContiSilent’s). Don’t drink and drive.

Premium audio vs. standard audio: Is there a difference? Most definitely and this is how I tested it. I had extreme quality Spotify streaming from my phone to the loaner car with the standard audio. As I returned the car to Tesla service and got into my car, my audio system immediately picked up my phone and started streaming the same song halfway through. Wow, there is a difference.

The bass is much more full (subwoofer … duh) and the mid sounded alive. The high end was crystal clear in comparison. But overall, is it worth the $2,500 upgrade? I would say the standard audio is very good. The premium audio is excellent. To me, it’s worth the $2,500 for sure, but for someone with more desire for effort, I think you can get better results with an after-market solution for that price. I’m just not that motivated to spend the time, nor am I interested in any solution that would take up trunk space, including the sub-trunk. If you generally cannot tell the difference between extreme/high/regular quality streaming music in your earphones, then you can forget about this section and save the $2,500.

Old seats vs. new seats (not next gen upgraded): I think there is a definite difference in the seats between the 55,xxx series and the 70,xxx series. Both cars have standard seats-- no special red upgraded racer looking ones, nor the non-upgraded “next gen” ones with extra lateral support. But the older P85+ seats had a headrest that was at least 1-2 inches back farther in angle than my headrest in the 85D. I often feel my 85D headrest forces my head to be more forward than I’d normally like for an ergonomic driving position. The older P85+ seats were superior this in this regard.

Lack of standard yacht floor: The P85+ did not have a yacht floor. How horrible. That looks like the cheapest Toyota Yaris cost-cutting trick ever. I’m so glad that piece of plastic was made standard in my car.

Anyways, that was it. Service was great as usual for fixing NVH/minor issues/touchscreen error/radar calibration, etc..

- K

PS: Autopilot/TACC is a must-have.

Last edited:
Autopilot - I'm not 100% sold on this yet. I had distronic on my AMG. It's cool. If you got it, is it worth it or are you waiting for the new promised features?

I personally would wait and add this on later and not let Tesla bank your money for an indefinite period of time. The unreleased features are the only ones worth paying extra for, IMO. Adaptive cruise is something that a car in this price bracket should have had from day 1. Tesla's ACC works well, but it's not worth the price of the upgrade alone. I wish I would have had the option to buy the upgrade later when I got my P85D.

Premium Interior - Only thing that gets me is the power lift gate but for $3k more, forget it. Nice to have or need to have?

The power life gate is awesome and probably one of my most used items. I couldn't see this car with a manual life gate. It sucks they bundled this with a package of fluff now, since the rest of the package is something like $5 in LEDs.

Air suspension - Must have? It's nice but MB left a bad taste in my mouth as the bellows failed on my AMG 3 times while under warranty.

My wife's P85 has coils, my P85D and old P85 had air and with ~40k miles combined driving among the cars... I like the ride of the air much better and I can definitely tell the difference when I drive the wife's P85.

Sound System - I wasn't impressed. It sounds ok but I wasn't wowed! I haven't heard the non-upgraded version but does it suck that bad?

The non-premium sound is pretty bad. I've messed with it in demo cars. I think an aftermarket system of a similar cost could sound much better than Tesla's premium sound if you're into that, but their premium sound is pretty nice and adds more speakers and a sub for better frequency separation, which does make a difference. I'm pretty pleased with it especially when playing lossless tracks from USB.

Cold Weather - I live in Hawaii so that's out.

Yeah, screw the cold weather pack... I probably should have skipped it. I've never used it really in 2 years of Model S ownership.

Rear Seats - my kids would love it but I think they would get bored and want to sit in the back seat. Anyone with kids think its a must have? We have a Odyssey minivan so not worried to use this as our family mobile.

Can't comment really, no experience. However I like the additional truck space you get by not having them.

Pano roof - When I got in the car, it was hot! I love the look and feature of it. All my cars that had a sunroof, I've never opened it or rode with the shade open and the roof closed exposing only the glass, maybe at night a few times. Regrets not getting it? Those who have it, love it or hate it?

Must have IMO. This is one of those things that makes the car, really. In nice weather I drop all of the windows and open the roof and it's awesome. The ability to crack it open from the mobile app to vent some heat without running the A/C is a big plus too.

Wheels - I'm doing 19" since I'm added aftermarket 21"

I like the factory 21's, personally. I've not seen a good looking set of aftermarket 21's on this car. All of the ones I've seen so far, no offense, look stupid and/or super tacky.

Decor - I like carbon but it looked flat and bland. I think I'm going straight black pano.

CF on all three I've owned. Just a preference really. I do think it looks like it belongs the most. The rest just kind of look out of place. The black is glossy and never looks clean in any car I've seen it in.

Seats - The textile was better than I thought. What's the other leather looking material? Anyone with textile happy with it? How's it holding up?

I've had the performance leather in the two P85s and the next gen in the P85D. I've also had the regular leather and textile on loaners. The next gen leather seats are by far the most comfortable Tesla seats, probably followed by the regular leather. I did not like the textile seats one bit. So much so that I asked to never be given a loaner with textile seats ever again. lol.

Good luck! :) - P.S. - Got a referral link already? :p

MY CPO, I did not configure, I just drafted it out of 350 cars on the consolidator

Seats: Next gen wasn't available in any CPOs in my price range. IF given the option to upgrade mine to nextgen for 2k or so, I would do it. I also think leather is a must in this car.

Premium Package: MY cpo has it. I was never ever considering for the 70D I almost bought. I love it though, the powered lift gate is a must for a 75k car (it should be standard imo), along with the cornering and interior lighting. The extra leather is nice too. If I was to order a new car, I would get it.

Pano: My favorite non performance related aspect of the S

Rims: It came with 21''. They are lovely, but when replacement time comes for tires I will be getting a set of aftermarket 19s which look identical to my 21'' turbines

Paint: Black. IF new without a doubt i'd have gone for the new blue.

Autopilot: I don't have as my car is a 2013. New car I was on the fence about. Tesla time with that package is really bothering me.

Air suspension: I like it. I like to lower on the highway, I like to raise when driveways have stupid steep slops etc. I would have never considered this on a new car, until having it I don't think i'd leave it off. (aka i'd buy it if I ordered new)

Decor- CF. Love it.

Rear seats- No kids, no midget friends, un-needed

Cold weather - I live in FL, don't have, don't need

Dual Charger - They were installed on my car, I have yet to use a 80A charger. One day I am sure I'll say "Well these are nice to have", until then 2k? Not worth

Sound- I hardly ever drive without wife. I do have the nicer sound, but the music is always below 3 as we are talking.

Other thing I love on my car is its a P85+. The + I think is much nicer than the non. I had a loaner P85 and every time I attempted to put the power down, I broke traction. No fun.

MUST HAVE:

-- Cold Weather. If it drops below freezing where you live, ever, get it. I don't have it and I wish it could be retrofitted. Perhaps unimportant if it never drops below freezing where you live.
-- Dual Chargers. A lifesaver for trips. I hear they have to be bought post-factory now. Do it.
-- Air suspension. Makes bad roads much nicer. If your roads are beautifully manicured, forget it.
-- 19" wheels. You do not want the 21" wheels. You really do not. Unless your roads are beautifully manicured.
-- Power Rear Liftgate. They've been moving this from one package to another. If you use the trunk routinely, it's worth it even at the overpriced $3000 price of the current package. I mean, I probably open and close the trunk more than twice per trip, so I really would get it. If you never use your trunk, forget it.

After a couple months of ownership I'd say

Autopilot - Must have as it is now. Adaptive cruise control is a game changer. People can say other companies have it, but is it as smooth as it is on the Tesla? Does it brake all the way like the Tesla? MB probably has a good system, but so many systems aren't as good as what Tesla has when it comes to smoothness.

Air suspension - Didn't offer what I wanted (both ride height and stiffness adjustment). That along with reliability concerns made me pass. Plus you always need to be consciously aware of where the ride height is or at least i would have to. I'd be someone that always had it riding as low as possible until I needed it higher. By not getting it I imagine I've already saved myself from a couple "stupid" moments

Premium interior was a must have for me because of fog lights. It does get really foggy where I am at times. Fog/cornering lights are great for low speed parking/driving. Not sure this would be relevant for Hawaii. I do like everything else that comes with it even if they are niceties.

Cold Weather - I got it because I love having a heated steering wheel.

Rear Seats - Didn't get this and had no interest. Plus even for people that do get it they have to figure out ways to cool the rear.

Pano roof - Yeah, it gets hot in the summer but it lets so much light in and feels roomy. It's a must have for me. I do open it because it's huge. Although I did have to move the seat all the way back the steering wheel all the way towards me to make for the ideal.

Wheels - I love the handling of 19inch wheels with coil suspension

Decor - I love the standard decor plus the I wanted a center console that was actually shipping. :p

Seats - I love the next Gen seats and wouldn't have it without them.

The insight from everyone is great! We're in the process of getting a HELOC to renovate our aging home. Sold off a Truck, zero'd out nearly all the debt so we look good on paper. Can't take on any new credit until this is done but targeting Jan 2016 for the Model S. 85D for certain, maybe P85D if I can come up with a larger down. I know I'll get buyers remorse. By Jan 2016, there might only be a P90D if they dump the 85 series. Wishful thinking!

I just placed my order a few weeks ago, but this list sounds exactly like my train of thought (barring the decor: I ended up going with the gloss obeche to break up the black seats/black headliner interior a touch.)

On the premium interior, I also wanted the powered lift gate—it's one of those things that, once you have it (on our Acadia), it's hard to imagine going back. Silly, I know, but often very useful. The truck is also the first time I had a heated steering wheel, and I decided it was the greatest car invention since airbags. :tongue:

That center console frustrates me: I dislike that it's a permanent thing. You have to rip up the yacht floor and have it installed, so you can't easily change your mind later. I wish it was more like the rear console, and could be attached or removed at will. Who knows, though; we might give up and get one anyway, simply due to the lack of interior storage!

Air Suspension: Prob a "must have" as the car has long overhangs and underbody strakes at the rear. The ability to raise the car, and for it to remember for you, is very nice with steep driveways, parking blocks, high curbs and even (horrors!) car washes . . . . Even more important if you live where it snows or where there's heavy rain/flooding. We use it every day as we set it to "very high" at home and then the car isn't so low to the ground for easier loading and unloading.

Premium Interior and Lighting: Essential for one reason--being able to see in the trunk, BUT with a major caveat. You have to "special order" it without the leather as animal ag is the largest single contributor of GHG's at 51%, according to any article cited by Bill Gates here:

Bill Gates: Food Is Ripe for Innovation

And there's a whole documentary on the subject here (now on Netflix too):

http://www.cowspiracy.com/

Without it, you end up with a single, dim, LED at the top of the hatch so you're always working in your own shadow--remarkably pathetic in a $70k+ car. I guess the sun never sets in CA?

UHF Sound: Probably not worth the $2.5k they charge for it, but the base system is, frankly, terrible. We had an MS that couldn't even play talk radio/NPR without the speakers making crackling sounds (but that's a sample size of one, FWIW). After four weeks of this, not getting UHFS ended up costing us around $7k in trade-in losses, and pissed us off royally as well. Perhaps it could have been fixed, but with the chronic month+ backlog for service at the Dallas SC, it just wasn't worth the aggravation and hassle.

Next Gen seats: We'd get them, but for the fact that they only come wrapped in skins of murdered animals (see GHG comments above, plus moral and ethical implications of killing sentient beings for style and/or taste). Perhaps if more fully informed customers keep bringing this up, Tesla will wake up? Afterall, it's remarkably hypocritical to be in the environmentally-friendly car business, yet 80 or 90% of Tesla's cars are "GHG-Stuffed" with leather . . . . Note that if you're "portly" they're probably not a great choice. Lastly, since some prefer to live life with blinders on and ignore the fatal "cost" to other sentient species, there's also the human cost to consider:

How Leather Is Slowly Killing the People and Places That Make It

AP: The hardware is already built in--you may as well enable it, plus it's the feature you're likely to demo the most! Huge safety benefit when tired and/or distracted as well, and it's likely to pay for itself in reduced insurance cost in the years ahead.

85 or 90 kWh battery: In the past, the larger battery was a near "must have," but no longer. Now that the new MS 70 has remarkable range (and Tesla actually de-rated it from the EPA's estimate of 244 miles, IIRC), you may find that it is more than enough for your daily needs. Even road trips are easy per the navigation system's trip mode. Spend the $10k you save on options you'll appreciate every day!

21" wheels: Some hate them, but we can't live without them due to acclimatization of the excellent braking, cornering and acceleration provided by the 21" tires' wider tire footprint. Driving an MS with 19" wheels feels like driving on ice . . . .

21" wheels: Some hate them, but we can't live without them due to acclimatization of the excellent braking, cornering and acceleration provided by the 21" tires' wider tire footprint. Driving an MS with 19" wheels feels like driving on ice . . . .
That's funny. I have a 60 with 19 inch wheels, and last weekend I was provided a P85 loaner for three days with the 21's. Frankly, I hated them! You can feel everything. Yes, I know that's precisely why so many people love them, but I prefer the car absorb the feel of the road and just give me a smoother driving experience. It just felt to me that the steering wheel frequently had faint vibrations that I know were just the road, but I really didn't enjoy the experience. Yes, handling was definitely tighter, but I don't drive in such a way that more aggressive handling is a need.

For the Model 3, I don't think the majority of buyers will want or need that aggressive handling, either. But there's always people who will, especially for the sportier versions of the Model 3.

Thanks guys for all the good info. I test drove an S yesterday and it was great.

One comment I do have is about the air suspension. Reading the specs page, it only lowers and raises less than one inch in reference to the coil springs. That isn't very much to deal with the extra cost, weight and complexity of the system in my opinion. Now, the air suspension in my Grand Cherokee diesel changes like six inches in height. That makes much more sense.

Thanks guys for all the good info. I test drove an S yesterday and it was great.

One comment I do have is about the air suspension. Reading the specs page, it only lowers and raises less than one inch in reference to the coil springs. That isn't very much to deal with the extra cost, weight and complexity of the system in my opinion. Now, the air suspension in my Grand Cherokee diesel changes like six inches in height. That makes much more sense.
Not less than 1 inch.

Clearance 5.65"
With air suspension 4.7" - 6.4"

So it's 1.7 inches per the specs. But it seems like more than that -- I can actually feel the car raise and lower, and it pretty visible from the outside if you change the height, too.

Not less than 1 inch.

Clearance 5.65"
With air suspension 4.7" - 6.4"

So it's 1.7 inches per the specs. But it seems like more than that -- I can actually feel the car raise and lower, and it pretty visible from the outside if you change the height, too.

From the reference of the coil spring car, the car lowers less than an inch, and can raise less than an inch. A total range of 1.7" which isn't very much.

From the reference of the coil spring car, the car lowers less than an inch, and can raise less than an inch. A total range of 1.7" which isn't very much.
I'm not going to go measure it, but according to this site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9yfp7ACCR0

The poster said:

This is what I found:
Low = 0.79” under Normal
Normal = 6” above ground
High = 0.90” taller than Normal
Very High = 1.3” taller than Normal
It's actually a pretty dramatic height difference between Low and Very High, and I've never found a need to use Very High since High is already pretty high...

So he actually measured about a 2.2 inch difference. Still won't compare to what you'd expect from an adjustable off-road vehicle like a Jeep, but that's pretty significant for a luxury sedan, I would think.

Either way, it works for me and I'm happy with it. Will I get it on my Model 3? Maybe not since it's a high-dollar repair item post-warranty period. But then again, maybe I will. I rather like it.