Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. Although map updates have to be downloaded on a computer onto USB and updated that way, due to the size of the files.

That kinda thing doesn't bother me so much though, as I'm used to not getting updates for my cars, and a software update can't add privacy glass, air suspension or matrix headlights... The hardware ultimately is more important in a car.

Disagree on your last point...all things being equal or nearly equal, OTA is a huge differentiator. Teslas increase range, power, features over time. If a car doesn't have that capability, it's operating from a legacy paradigm. I personally wouldn't be satisfied with any competitor that doesn't offer this.

• Love
Reactions: UTMB and Scott7
Sure, but all things aren't equal. The Jag has many features that aren't even available as a paid option on the Tesla and no OTA update can add them. Also, the Tesla already had an OTA update to range and power recently. The motors and batteries only have so much range and power, it's not like they can keep adding more and more power and range with updates. The M3P isn't going to be a 600hp, 500mile monster in 2 years time. I doubt there will be any further increases now and even if there are, it was be very small increases like the first time.

The below list are things that I have spec'ed on the Jag that I have on order that I can't order on the M3P at all:

Matrix LED headlights (very cool)
Cooled front seats (front and rear seats are also heated as per the Tesla)
Heated windscreen
Privacy glass
Adaptive air suspension
Electric tailgate with sensor under rear bumper for hands-free opening/closing
Heated steering wheel
Android Auto & Apple Carplay
Heads-up display
Full LCD gauge cluster behind the sheering wheel (shame the M3 doesn't have the one from the Model S/X)
Black headliner (always liked this in my BMWs)
360 degree parking cameras
Rear cross traffic sensors for reversing out of parking spaces.

Now, that's not to say that the Tesla doesn't have a few things that the Jag doesn't have, but the above is a lot of kit to miss.

Hence my dilemma. As otherwise I'd likely choose the faster car with the big cool infotainment screen...

Wait, @RJUK , have you never really driven the Tesla?

That's something you must do. Hopefully more than just
a few minutes in manual mode. I don't know the Jag, and
I don't see anything about its automation capabilities. An
EV without the computerized "autopilot" capabilities is old
tech, a nicer golf-cart, IMHO. And if you're shopping for
just a plush car, you can easily find plusher than a Tesla M3.

Infotainment? While driving?
You can't watch movies, you won't text or surf the web,
so it comes down to audio/music feeds, playing from a USB
drive or a phone, sure, a lot of cars do that, Tesla too, yeah,
and it's got a web browser for simple things.

But it's entirely different. It may or may not be for you.
Would you want to be able to say "Navigate to 1234
southfield drive in Brighton" and have it lay out the drive,
give you step by step instructions and then actually do the
driving on the highway?

Compared to any older car it's like comparing a nice old Nokia
clamshell mobile phone with an iPhone. You should arrange
a drive with someone who can show you how the Navigate
on Autopilot with lane changes works on a motorway, then
how you use Autopilot/AS on small roads, and how it handles
stop and go traffic using NOA or just AS with TACC.

This clip shows Navigate On Autopilot doing all the driving
through stop and go traffic, and then as it "opens up".

Last edited:
Wait, @RJUK , have you never really driven the Tesla?

That's something you must do. Hopefully more than just
a few minutes in manual mode. I don't know the Jag, and
I don't see anything about its automation capabilities. An
EV without the computerized "autopilot" capabilities is old
tech, a nicer golf-cart, IMHO. And if you're shopping for
just a plush car, you can easily find plusher than a Tesla M3.

Infotainment? While driving?
You can't watch movies, you won't text or surf the web,
so it comes down to audio/music feeds, playing from a USB
drive or a phone, sure, a lot of cars do that, Tesla too, yeah,
and it's got a web browser for simple things.

But it's entirely different. It may or may not be for you.
Would you want to be able to say "Navigate to 1234
southfield drive in Brighton" and have it lay out the drive,
give you step by step instructions and then actually do the
driving on the highway?

Compared to any older car it's like comparing a nice old Nokia
clamshell mobile phone with an iPhone. You should arrange
a drive with someone who can show you how the Navigate
on Autopilot with lane changes works on a motorway, then
how you use Autopilot/AS on small roads, and how it handles
stop and go traffic using NOA or just AS with TACC.

This clip shows Navigate On Autopilot doing all the driving
through stop and go traffic, and then as it "opens up".

Nope, unfortunately there just aren't any Model 3's in the country yet. If I decide to order one it will likely be one of the first in the country. As such, driving one before ordering just isn't an option. The local Tesla store had a left-hand-drive model in the store, but it's not the Performance and they can't remove it from the store to let me test drive it. (It's in a Mall on the 1st floor and I suspect would need to be craned out or something.)

I can't even test drive a lower spec Model 3, there just aren't any here. I think maybe the first ones start arriving this month.

Even so, the full automated driving doesn't work quite the same here due to EU legislation. For example the car won't change lanes on its own to go around traffic - you have to put the indicator on and then it'll do it. Even so, I don't really see the point of it. You have to keep your hands on the wheel and keep paying attention, ready to take over control, so I don't see that it offers much. If you're holding the wheel and paying full attention like you should be, then you might as well be driving!

Plus, adding the full automated driving makes the car more expensive to lease than the Jag with all its options, so I'm unlikely to select that option.

My daily commute is either country lanes or through my local town and neither would be particularly compatible with the autopilot, so it wouldn't get much use to justify its £5000 pricetag. If I took the country lane route I definitely would want to be driving the car myself anyway!

Sure, the Tesla comes with part autonomous driving anyway, but so does the Jag. It'll follow a lane on the highway and speed up/slow down with traffic just like the Tesla, which is probably the only time I'd use autopilot anyway - for simple highway trips. I don't think the Tesla offers any advantage in this area VS the Jag, when only equipped with the regular autopilot.

Nope, unfortunately there just aren't any Model 3's in the country yet. If I decide to order one it will likely be one of the first in the country. As such, driving one before ordering just isn't an option. The local Tesla store had a left-hand-drive model in the store, but it's not the Performance and they can't remove it from the store to let me test drive it. (It's in a Mall on the 1st floor and I suspect would need to be craned out or something.)

I can't even test drive a lower spec Model 3, there just aren't any here. I think maybe the first ones start arriving this month.

Even so, the full automated driving doesn't work quite the same here due to EU legislation. For example the car won't change lanes on its own to go around traffic - you have to put the indicator on and then it'll do it. Even so, I don't really see the point of it. You have to keep your hands on the wheel and keep paying attention, ready to take over control, so I don't see that it offers much. If you're holding the wheel and paying full attention like you should be, then you might as well be driving!

Plus, adding the full automated driving makes the car more expensive to lease than the Jag with all its options, so I'm unlikely to select that option.

My daily commute is either country lanes or through my local town and neither would be particularly compatible with the autopilot, so it wouldn't get much use to justify its £5000 pricetag. If I took the country lane route I definitely would want to be driving the car myself anyway!

Sure, the Tesla comes with part autonomous driving anyway, but so does the Jag. It'll follow a lane on the highway and speed up/slow down with traffic just like the Tesla, which is probably the only time I'd use autopilot anyway - for simple highway trips. I don't think the Tesla offers any advantage in this area VS the Jag, when only equipped with the regular autopilot.
You should lease an I-Pace. That way you are at least in the EV world and you get some of the features you are used to having in other vehicles. By the time your lease is up, maybe Tesla will have added some things to the 3 that are currently missing (Android Auto and Carplay).

Yes. Although map updates have to be downloaded on a computer onto USB and updated that way, due to the size of the files.

Saying the Jag gets updates needs more clarification. Tesla adds brand new, useful features like TeslaCam and Sentry Mode (which IMO are far more useful than privacy glass). I'm not aware of any other brand that adds brand new features across all trims like Tesla does, despite those who claim "we have OTA too". It's always like some tiny bug fixes that completely pale in comparison, even if it's technically an OTA update.

It's personal preference, bit I also strongly disagree that hardware is far more important than software. Software is becoming dramatically more important in cars with each passing year. We are reaching the point now in the car industry similar to when the world left behind "dumb" phones and fully moved on to smart phones across all price points. I am far less likely to consider a brand new car that doesn't get updates on par with what Tesla receives. It would be a serious negative, the same way I wouldn't buy a smart phone or computer that doesn't get proper and timely updates.

Another thing to keep in mind is even if the software doesn't matter to you right now, it probably will matter to future buyers of your car, which would affect it's resale value. GM recently announced they are moving in the direction of Tesla with software update support for all the computerized systems in the car, instead of just the media stack like they have today. This trend of software and EVs is not going away. I think both ICE and non-updateable cars are likely to drop in value more severely than they have in the past and the trends fully take hold and awareness builds.

Last edited:
Have you not seen the numerous posts on these very forums of people with their rockers, lower doors and rear bumpers losing paint like termites have been at it? I'm only getting info from these forums. I've never seen anything so bad on any car if any price before, which makes me somewhat hesitant. Also it seems to be well known that the Tesla paint is thin and quite soft (I.E. easy to damage.)

So you got your "info" on internet forums and are quoting it as a fact? Wow....

Let me clue you in, about 25% of the posts on most telsa forums are 100% fake and done by shorters and EV haters. There is a vested multi billion dollar interest in making E/Vs and especially Tesla look bad.

Whilst that might not be an issue for some, it'd irk me if I bought a Model 3 Performance and it looked like somebody had sandblasted the paint off the sills and lower doors after just 4000 miles.

I liked it, but still wish it had a digital cockpit like the Model S and X and that privacy glass was a factory option.
I've had a little scrape with another car recently - no damage except some paint transference. That is to say I got their paint on my car - once I rubbed it off there was no damage to paint on my model 3. Can't remember what the other car was...

And regarding the user interface I would prefer one the Model 3 has. I was very skeptical about it and even bought aftermarket HUD but have returned it after driving M3 for a little bit. It may not be your thing but you can't tell until you live with it for a little while. So that is a risk. But normally people are biased against new unusual things and that needs to be accounted for.

What the heck is privacy glass?

Many in the US use after market window tints to darken their interiors. Inexpensive and effective.

iPace is a pretty nice car. You have already ordered it. Getting all the accesories (kit) you want and a lease you like.

You are asking on a Tesla forum which is the better car, but have tilted your aspect to favor the Jag. Kind of trying to justify buying the Jaguar.

Looks like the Jag is a good fit for you. Don't think anyone here is going to change your mind, but you want to justify your purchase, or brag about privacy glass.

In most of the EV world range, charging speed and options, performance and driving experience seems to be the most important features. Never heard anyone say they wanted one EV over another because of...privacy glass.

Tesla...They drive like no other.

honestly I dont even think this is what he likes. It is a thinly veiled FUD post where he found a couple options on the Jag that are not on the tesla and is overstating their importance, like a Tesla is lacking as a car. He even admitted earlier in the thread his Tesla knowledge is from Tesla forums (which we all know are filled with FUD) and he is stating that like it is fact.

I do not think this guy is even in the market for a car lease.

• Disagree
Reactions: cizUK and RJUK
You should lease an I-Pace. That way you are at least in the EV world and you get some of the features you are used to having in other vehicles. By the time your lease is up, maybe Tesla will have added some things to the 3 that are currently missing (Android Auto and Carplay).
Thanks for the sensible reply. Part of me thinks this, another part of me thinks I should just go for the Tesla. I believe the Jag would be a better all-round car due to the extra space inside and extra features, but for ultimate outright pace the Tesla obviously gets it, so perhaps would be more fun.

I think an I-Pace is likely to instill such a range anxiety that he might be turned off to other EVs, frankly.
I don't think so, the Jag gets 200+ miles to a charge, so isn't that far out from the Tesla on range (it has a bigger battery, but is bigger, heavier, and ultimately less efficient than the Tesla), however, I'm aware of the current shortcomings of the UK charging network. In all honesty for most of my driving charging from home will be fine, so it'll only be a couple of times a year that I expect to need to charge in public.

That is fair, I don't know how well the UK is covered in CCS locations, so maybe that could make a difference.
There are far more "regular" pubic chargers than Tesla charges in the UK, so whichever car I get would more likely end up being charged on another provider's charger more than a Tesla supercharger, though most charging will be done at home. Probably 90% or more.

Saying the Jag gets updates needs more clarification. Tesla adds brand new, useful features like TeslaCam and Sentry Mode (which IMO are far more useful than privacy glass). I'm not aware of any other brand that adds brand new features across all trims like Tesla does, despite those who claim "we have OTA too". It's always like some tiny bug fixes that completely pale in comparison, even if it's technically an OTA update.

It's personal preference, bit I also strongly disagree that hardware is far more important than software. Software is becoming dramatically more important in cars with each passing year. We are reaching the point now in the car industry similar to when the world left behind "dumb" phones and fully moved on to smart phones across all price points. I am far less likely to consider a brand new car that doesn't get updates on par with what Tesla receives. It would be a serious negative, the same way I wouldn't buy a smart phone or computer that doesn't get proper and timely updates.

Another thing to keep in mind is even if the software doesn't matter to you right now, it probably will matter to future buyers of your car, which would affect it's resale value. GM recently announced they are moving in the direction of Tesla with software update support for all the computerized systems in the car, instead of just the media stack like they have today. This trend of software and EVs is not going away. I think both ICE and non-updateable cars are likely to drop in value more severely than they have in the past and the trends fully take hold and awareness builds.
The Jag recently got an OTA update improving the Android Auto functionality in the car and increasing the charging speed. I understand the Tesla doesn't get Android Auto yet?
As for the value of the car plummeting, this isn't an issue for me, as I'll be leasing either car.

So you got your "info" on internet forums and are quoting it as a fact? Wow....

Let me clue you in, about 25% of the posts on most telsa forums are 100% fake and done by shorters and EV haters. There is a vested multi billion dollar interest in making E/Vs and especially Tesla look bad.
You sound like Donald Trump. If the news doesn't suit you then it must be fake news. How do you explain the photos of cars with excessive paint damage to the lower doors and rocker panels? Are you really suggesting that somebody has bought a bunch of cars in different colours and purposely blasted the paint off, then posted photos on these forums to sully Tesla's reputation?! Don't be ridiculous, the issues on here are no less real than on any other car forum, and panel gaps are a well-known issue, as is Tesla paint quality (I'm into detailing and Tesla paint is renowned among detailers for not being great from the factory.) Whether Tesla has since improved these issues, I don't know - but that's what I'm here to find out.

I've had a little scrape with another car recently - no damage except some paint transference. That is to say I got their paint on my car - once I rubbed it off there was no damage to paint on my model 3. Can't remember what the other car was...

And regarding the user interface I would prefer one the Model 3 has. I was very skeptical about it and even bought aftermarket HUD but have returned it after driving M3 for a little bit. It may not be your thing but you can't tell until you live with it for a little while. So that is a risk. But normally people are biased against new unusual things and that needs to be accounted for.
I wouldn't say that I'm like that. I'm often an early adopter and generally pretty open to new things. Whether I end up going for the Tesla or Jag, either car will be my first EV, so that's a pretty new thing and even now in 2019 anyone driving an EV is an early adopter, despite how long EVs have been around.

What the heck is privacy glass?

Many in the US use after market window tints to darken their interiors. Inexpensive and effective.

iPace is a pretty nice car. You have already ordered it. Getting all the accesories (kit) you want and a lease you like.

You are asking on a Tesla forum which is the better car, but have tilted your aspect to favor the Jag. Kind of trying to justify buying the Jaguar.

Looks like the Jag is a good fit for you. Don't think anyone here is going to change your mind, but you want to justify your purchase, or brag about privacy glass.

In most of the EV world range, charging speed and options, performance and driving experience seems to be the most important features. Never heard anyone say they wanted one EV over another because of...privacy glass.

Tesla...They drive like no other.
Privacy glass is what all the manufacturers call factory tints here. Factory tints are better than aftermarket tints because the glass itself is smoked, as opposed to just being a film. As such the "tint" is much more resilient and less likely to be damaged with the windows going up and down, or something coming into contact with them. That said, I would get them tinted, but this car would be both a lease and a company car, and the boss has said I can't tint them due to possible insurance implications. Anyway, the privacy glass is just one of many missing features on the Tesla. It's just the most curious one, as I don't think I could name another car where you can't get factory tints as an option.

I'm also not here to brag about anything, I don't really see what the point in that would be. Not have I skewed my favour towards the Jag. I've posted a very similar topic on an I-Pace forum. Naturally all the Jag people say "get the Jag" and all the Tesla people say "get the Tesla". They think I'm biased towards the Tesla, you think I'm biased towards the Jag. I'm just here to find out why either side picked what they did and try to convince myself one way or the other. At the moment I'm undecided either way.

I am with you Paul I have never even heard of privacy glass in a car before...

I get different strokes for different folks, but the tint of a window has never even entered my mind when buying a car.
I have a young child who would benefit from the tints, and I find they keep the interior much cooler in summer. It's not enough to sway me one way or the other on a car, but it is a curious omission from the Tesla's options list for something so routinely fitted to cars.

People like what they like. This guys likes privacy glass while Tesla guys are losing their S*** over ELDW.
What's ELDW?

honestly I dont even think this is what he likes. It is a thinly veiled FUD post where he found a couple options on the Jag that are not on the tesla and is overstating their importance, like a Tesla is lacking as a car. He even admitted earlier in the thread his Tesla knowledge is from Tesla forums (which we all know are filled with FUD) and he is stating that like it is fact.

I do not think this guy is even in the market for a car lease.
You figured that out with or without your tin helmet on? Seriously though, this is no FUD post and I'm in the market for leasing one car or the other. If it was a couple of options then it wouldn't be so important, but it's not, it's quite a few options. I don't think I'm overstating their importance, either. Both the Jag and Tesla are great cars, so it's what differentiates them that needs comparing.

Essentially: the Jag has more options and is overall a more premium vehicle, but its infotainment is laggy and slow and it's not as fast or efficient as the Tesla.

The Tesla is faster and more efficient, with more public chargers available to it, but it's not as large inside or in terms of cargo capacity, and doesn't have many of the nice options that the Jag has, nor is it put together as well.

Ultimately I'm just looking for insight as to why people chose their Teslas and what build quality is currently like. If you want to construct a witch hunt because I dared suggest that another EV has more options then that just shows how paranoid you are.

Also, FWIW, I always said that if I won the lottery I'd buy a Tesla Model S P110d and Model X P100d for me and my wife, as our daily drivers. Seeing videos of Teslas killing supercars on the drag strip is always amusing and I wanted a piece of the action.

Then I started looking into the reality of EV ownership now that my current car lease is coming to an end and found that I could lease an I-Pace for sensible money, but the Tesla Model 3 Performance wasn't available to lease and was a bit too expensive to buy outright. As such, I ordered the Jag.

Then last week I had an email offering the Tesla for lease. "Bugger" I thought. Then I looked to see if I could change my order and found I could. Then I noticed that many of the extras I spec'ed on the Jag were not available on the Tesla at all.

So that's where I now am. OK, the M3P isn't quite P100d fast, but it's not far off it and most motoring publications agree that the M3P handles better than the Model S, so the M3P should be the overall best "sporty" Tesla.

So I could have the kind of supercar-killing acceleration that I thought I would need to win the lottery for, but with the realisation that the car isn't as plush as some other EV's that are also pretty quick as well.

So I find myself wondering if the additional speed/power is worth losing comfort features for.

Now I just need persuasion one way or the other!

ELDW is a setting that allows the car to steer you back into your lane if it thinks you are going to get in an accident while drifting out of your lane. For quite a few folk it is more sensitive than it probably should be, and Tesla currently doesn't allow you to always turn it off, it is per drive (basically it reenables itself if you have turned it off after each drive).