TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Current recommendations for 19" tires for P85

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by gizmonty, Jul 26, 2018.

1. gizmonty

gizmonty Member

Hi all,

I have a 3.5 year old P85 Model S due for a new set of tires. I have just chewed through a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3s which have lasted 26000 km which is not too bad given my fondness of the pedal on the right. I've arranged to install another set of PS3s at the service centre next week.

I was reasonably happy with the PS3s but wondered if anyone had any strong opinions about other tires. I did find they tended to lose traction under maximum acceleration which is slightly frustrating. On wet roads they would lose traction all the time and make me wish I had waited 6 more months for a dual-motor car.

Any suggestions for alternatives while I still have a few days up my sleeves? I'm going skiing next weekend so I want to get them replaced before then. (Not winter tires - we don't do those in Australia).

2. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position. Grip is awesome, seasonal though, I have a winter set with Michelin X-Ice.

3. logan

logan Member

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the best max performance summer tire out there. A notable improvement to your Pilot Sport 3s, which surprisingly first came out almost a decade ago. Crazy good dry grip and improved wet grip.

4. gizmonty

gizmonty Member

Thanks for the advice given here. I just went with another set of PS3s. the PS4s don't seem to come in the right size (at least not in Australia) and the Potenza S-04 don't appear to be available here at all. Maybe the PS4s will be available here by the time I have chewed up this set!

5. SSedan

SSedan Member

This will seem like on off choice but I have a set of General G-Max going on now. UHP All season reasonable price.
    Very well rated on Tire rack.
    Will know about dry grip in a few hours.