Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current S & X OWNERS: What is your favorite currently available exterior color and WHY?

What is your favorite currently available exterior color? (OWNERS ONLY)

• Solid Black

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Red Multi-Coat

Votes: 38 23.8%
  • Midnight Silver Metallic

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • Deep Blue Metallic

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • Pearl White Multi-Coat

Votes: 27 16.9%
  • Silver Metallic

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, if I could have voted twice I would have and I have two different choices.

First, as an owner, I chose the Pearl because white is simply my favourite colour for the cars that I own. My reasons have been echoed here already but it looks crisp and clean (even when a little dirty) and it is easy to hide little imperfections (like swirl marks or even some other bumps and bruises).

However, I am a detailing enthusiast (pure weekend warrior)... and that part of me wanted the Metallic Blue. Why? I love the deep and rich colour of the blue. Properly polished, it looks wet and dazzling. Nothing looks better than a properly polished dark car.. but here is the problem... you rarely see them properly polished. So, when I'm driving by any nice dark coloured car (that is clean) and it hits the sun in a certain way and I see swirl marks or paint marring it drives me nuts. Some people think they are driving around in a super clean, hot Tesla and all I see is a swirly mess!!! I think many people aren't equipped to use proper washing and polishing techniques to keep their cars paint looking the way it should. Even me, as an detailing enthusiast, I find it hard to keep my car 100% swirl free.

So..white if you want lower maintenance...blue if you want to work for it!

I think the outside and inside need to be considered together. We currently have the midnight silver metallic which I really do love. Looks fabulous I'd say all of the time but especially when just washed with the glint of metallic. Went with all black interior and not bothered by it in the high summer heat. A/C works well and we use cabin overheat protection which I find keeps it at a pleasant level that then cools quickly when we get in. We also have and use ventilated seats which aren't available now though. We have the silver slipstream wheels but would have loved to have splurged on the gray wheels with the red calipers. The MSM with red tail lights and red calipers is my absolute favorite combo. Our detailer's license plate holder in the rear as red lettering on it too.

For our second car I've been thinking of the white. See a lot of white Teslas in our area and just gotten to really like it every time I see one. Crisp and clean looking. But I'm not a fan of two/three toned interiors so not sure how it would look with the interior choices available. Silver with black interior would be a natural combo for me but close to our midnight silver with black interior. BTW all black interior I feel is much easier on the eyes in bright ambient light.

Last edited:
Just saw a white body with white interior what looks like black interior on Teslarati story of car at Supercharger in Mt. View. Now that I could get with! White seats not available to order yet but I'd probably want long range and AWD so would be waiting anyway.

I've kind of stuck with the same color on both cars. Dolphin Grey (S) to Midnight Silver Metallic (X). I like the darker color and didn't want to go with black given the upkeep / maintenance required so this was the next best color. Looks good both clean and dirty!

I'll see an original blue and brown car out and about and since they are less common they do look unique. Leaning towards pearl white and silver for the two 3s we have deposits on.

I've had my MS for 8 months and chose Midnight Silver Mettalic. I like the color, but part of me wishes I had gotten the Deep Sea Metallic Blue. I debated between Black, Deep Sea Blue or Midnight Silver. I will say the Midnight Silver Mettalic doesn't look dirty often and I like how in different lighting, it sort of morphs colors. If Tesla still made the dark blue color, I would have selected that in a heartbeat as my last car was that color and I NEVER got tired of it.

At the time, I felt Deep Sea Blue Mettalic was a little too "loud" but I feel differently now. I feel like MS are standout cars and can look great with colors that pop(polling so far shows this). I personally feel all the colors look nice except for black, which to me is very blah and doesn't do the car any justice. I think so far, the results show in your poll to reflect most feelings. In the end, it's personal choice, but is easily the most agonizing decision. If I was to buy a another MS right now, I would probably go with the Deep Sea Blue or Pearl White, however, Midnight Metallic Silver is a very nice color that a lot of owners including myself like very much.

Oh, the pain... I remember lol.
I went with the Midnight Silver, because I liked the look in the configurator. Unfortunately MSM in real life is a little brighter than what is shown in the configurator. I still love it, love the car and everything with it. But now, a year in... if I could redo it, I'd probably go with either blue, red or most favored at the moment pearl white. I didn't like the white at all when I ordered the car. But the color definitely grew on me, especially with the white seats. It just looks super clean and pops out.
My next Tesla will be the Model X in pearl white with the white interior if it's still available by the time my current lease ends.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I always wanted the Blue. I got Plain White for my Model S because cost and thought I would wrap it later. I ended up selling my Model S after half a year because cost. I've seen some beautifully wrapped Model S's with colors that I'd love to have (mostly blue), so the wrapping idea I had was not wrong in any way that I can tell. I wish I waited two months and just bought the blue X that I always wanted to begin with. I missed not having blue every time I saw a blue S or X. I knew my decision when I made it. Plain White is no longer available as a color. That's because it's boring.

I originally liked the idea of Plain White to have my car fit in and not be noticed. That didn't work. The Model S doesn't fit in. It is a statement. A statement I didn't want to make, but one that gets made no matter what. People look at you as someone who is out of their mind for wasting money. So, if you're going to "waste money", you should get a nice color that you like. I should have gotten Blue, and it would have been a stunning statement, and fit in as a statement of beauty and charm of clean air that I cherish so much. Instead of people looking at me as a money waster, they would shower me with jealous remarks about how beautiful my car is, and I wouldn't have gotten so much negative attention, and much more positive attention. I went the wrong path on color.

I also love the unique colors that are not available: Green, Brown, and Signature Red, in that order. But, their exclusivity is part of their charm. I wouldn't feel that way about them if they were available.

I've considered most of the various grays to be drab; I've been pleasantly surprised when someone could pull off a beautiful Silver or Bronze that made me like it when I just thought it was a boring gray during ordering.

Technically, I am presently a non-owner, and you can discount my vote due to non-compliance.

Last edited:
I'm agonizing over what color to get for my Model 3 so I want to get current owners experiences LIVING with their colors over the years.

I do not want votes from NON-OWNERS based on "Man that car looks sick!"... I want votes from OWNERS based on "I have owned this car with this color for # amount of years and I like it because X" or "I have owned this color but wish I got this other color because of X"

So... without further ado (and I'm only including currently available model 3 colors)...

Please include why in the responses! Thanks in advance all!
Personally I think this question is pointless - go with what you like. Aside from the obvious "black scratches easily and white is cooler" there's no feedback any of us can give you that helps. Mine are both midnight silver. So what - you like it or you don't.

Reactions: David29
Silver Metallic S85D, had it for two years. Not the most popular color (at least in the SF Bay Area), but it looks good IMHO and it's fairly low-maintenance (== hides the dust well).

IMHO it basically comes down your personal preference. Once you decide you like a color you can find all sorts of ways to rationalize that choice. :)

Bruce.

Same reason as bmah.

Besides it is shiny when sunny and looks austere in cloudy weather. People say silver metallic doesn't stand out but in my view, it always stands out on the road. Besides it looks like it is made of real silver. ;)

But like many people say, just choose a color you like because they all look great due to the awesome design of the car.

I always wanted the Blue. I got Plain White for my Model S because cost and thought I would wrap it later. I ended up selling my Model S after half a year because cost. I've seen some beautifully wrapped Model S's with colors that I'd love to have (mostly blue), so the wrapping idea I had was not wrong in any way that I can tell. I wish I waited two months and just bought the blue X that I always wanted to begin with. I missed not having blue every time I saw a blue S or X. I knew my decision when I made it. Plain White is no longer available as a color. That's because it's boring.

I originally liked the idea of Plain White to have my car fit in and not be noticed. That didn't work. The Model S doesn't fit in. It is a statement. A statement I didn't want to make, but one that gets made no matter what. People look at you as someone who is out of their mind for wasting money. So, if you're going to "waste money", you should get a nice color that you like. I should have gotten Blue, and it would have been a stunning statement, and fit in as a statement of beauty and charm of clean air that I cherish so much. Instead of people looking at me as a money waster, they would shower me with jealous remarks about how beautiful my car is, and I wouldn't have gotten so much negative attention, and much more positive attention. I went the wrong path on color.

I also love the unique colors that are not available: Green, Brown, and Signature Red, in that order. But, their exclusivity is part of their charm. I wouldn't feel that way about them if they were available.

I've considered most of the various grays to be drab; I've been pleasantly surprised when someone could pull off a beautiful Silver or Bronze that made me like it when I just thought it was a boring gray during ordering.

Technically, I am presently a non-owner, and you can discount my vote due to non-compliance.
Interesting answer - you didn't like plain white even when you waxed up the car and it was super shiny clean? The trouble with pearl colors like pearl white is that they are difficult for body shops to get a perfect, invisible match when/if they have to be replaced.

Interesting answer - you didn't like plain white even when you waxed up the car and it was super shiny clean? The trouble with pearl colors like pearl white is that they are difficult for body shops to get a perfect, invisible match when/if they have to be replaced.
It was uninspiring, and because of the negative reaction I got from people who saw me in a Tesla, I should have gone all the way rich color for a rich car.

Getting a ceramic coat and wax did help a huge amount. I was much happier with that. (It was very cheap; $100 add on to a ~$300 full detail at AJ Auto Detailing in San Jose; I should have done the ceramic coat the first day, but I was afraid.) But, it also made me realize it wasn't quite enough to get the color I wanted.

You're absolutely right that a proper ceramic coat and waxing made a huge difference. That difference would have been even more glorious on the color I wanted.

When I was getting ready to order our Model S, I visited our local service/delivery center to see the body colors in person. It happened to be a gray winter day, with snow flurries off and on. The lot was overflowing with cars -- I assume there had recently been a truck delivery because there were a dozen or so brand new cars of various colors. As I looked around the lot of the Service Center, I realized that most of the cars looked the same from a distance on that cloudy day -- black, blue, gray, titanium -- all looked black or close enough to it. Boring and dull! (Not sure there were any white cars there that day, but I was never a big fan of white anyway.) The one car that stood out was a glimmering silver. I had liked it when I had seen it before, but the way it stood out from the other colors confirmed how much I liked it. So, consulting with my spouse, we agreed on the silver color.
But shortly after that, silver was discontinued! So when we ordered, we chose the multi-coat red. And I do not regret it. It is eye-catching, people comment about it all the time. It is fairly forgiving of dirt and water spots (maybe not quite as forgiving as the silver, but close), and just plain looks sharp.
Ironically, the silver paint became available again not too long after our car was delivered. If we had to order another car, we'd have the debate again -- it would certainly be silver or another red.
By the way, I had always avoided silver in my other cars. I thought it was too common, too similar to gray. But the Tesla silver is especially nice.

Reactions: PrGrPa
So, if I could have voted twice I would have and I have two different choices.

First, as an owner, I chose the Pearl because white is simply my favourite colour for the cars that I own. My reasons have been echoed here already but it looks crisp and clean (even when a little dirty) and it is easy to hide little imperfections (like swirl marks or even some other bumps and bruises).

However, I am a detailing enthusiast (pure weekend warrior)... and that part of me wanted the Metallic Blue. Why? I love the deep and rich colour of the blue. Properly polished, it looks wet and dazzling. Nothing looks better than a properly polished dark car.. but here is the problem... you rarely see them properly polished. So, when I'm driving by any nice dark coloured car (that is clean) and it hits the sun in a certain way and I see swirl marks or paint marring it drives me nuts. Some people think they are driving around in a super clean, hot Tesla and all I see is a swirly mess!!! I think many people aren't equipped to use proper washing and polishing techniques to keep their cars paint looking the way it should. Even me, as an detailing enthusiast, I find it hard to keep my car 100% swirl free.

So..white if you want lower maintenance...blue if you want to work for it!

Excellent point. I suspect people make their color choice based heavily on what a new shiny clean car looks like, on a sunny day. But unless you are a certain type of person, you can't keep it looking that way very long. Plus how your car will look from day to day obviously depends on where you live, too. Here in the northeast, where it is often cloudy and rains and snows more or less regularly, it is much more of a challenge to keep a car clean than I suspect it is in sunnier or drier climates. Plus, some folks like me have to park their car outdoors. Having no garage also adds to the challenge. So my car has to put up with precipitation, bird poop, and being washed only at a car wash (not allowed to wash it at my condo). These are all practical factors that will affect the way your car really looks after you drive it home.

My favorite, the one I own, was discontinued four months after I got the car (Titanium Metallic.) I voted for the one I almost bought instead, the beautiful vivd deep Blue they have now.

The Pearl also looks nice, and would pair well with the white seats and dark headliner package (that's actually why I ordered the Titanium instead of Blue - I didn't really think the Blue matched any of the interiors at the time, and with the extra options we had back then I could pair the tan seats with the black headliner and Titanium paint and get this whole black and Tan/gold theme going - especially after I added aftermarket tan floor mats.)