Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current service plan - current prices?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate this is slightly off topic, but a few people have mentioned the requirement of PCP to have the car serviced to the manufacturer's recommendations. Has anyone spoken to Barclays (current PCP provider) to check whether it has to be done at Tesla or whether we could use somewhere like Cleevely Motors?

My finance is with Tesla Finance (they underwrote it themselves or a short while) and that doesn’t insist the servicing is done by them. It’s a standard paragraph that says ‘the vehicle must be serviced in line with the manufacturers recommended service schedule’.

In fact, now I think about it, wasn’t it made illegal for the warranty/PCP servicing to have to be done by the manufacturer? Anti competition or something.

I appreciate this is slightly off topic, but a few people have mentioned the requirement of PCP to have the car serviced to the manufacturer's recommendations. Has anyone spoken to Barclays (current PCP provider) to check whether it has to be done at Tesla or whether we could use somewhere like Cleevely Motors?
Not spoken with my provider (Black Horse) but as long as the vehicle is serviced in accordance with manufacturers specifications by a VAT registered place then it has to be accepted.

Not spoken with my provider (Black Horse) but as long as the vehicle is serviced in accordance with manufacturers specifications by a VAT registered place then it has to be accepted.

Yeah I think that's the bottom line. So it would come down to the third party's competence in servicing it correctly. At least with official Tesla servicing they can't try to wiggle out of any subsequent issues by saying it wasn't done properly - even if it wasn't!

I agree with you.. I'm in the same boat!. If you decided to go servicing with thirt party garage which one you think they can match a tesla's engineers? (knowledge

These guys are well liked by Tesla owners and charge a fraction of Tesla’s prices. Can’t do warranty work but if it’s just a service you’re after they’re well worth a look. I haven’t used them myself as I’m ‘happy’ to pay the Tesla premium for the proactive warranty work and the peace of mind using the SC brings me.

Cleevely Motors | Car Maintenance and Servicing Cheltenham

Reactions: tonyj01 and Boby
Just to update this one, I phoned MK Tesla a few minutes ago to check service pricing for a 2018 S100D:

Year 1: £450
Year 2: £700
Year 3: £450
Year 4: £700

With the 3 year plan at £1575 that delivers a saving of £25, but with 4 years at £2325 you'd be £25 more than the current costs...

It looks like the individual costs may be a bit lower than they were last year, but the 3 and 4 year plan costs have remained the same...

Just to update this one, I phoned MK Tesla a few minutes ago to check service pricing for a 2018 S100D:

Year 1: £450
Year 2: £700
Year 3: £450
Year 4: £700

With the 3 year plan at £1575 that delivers a saving of £25, but with 4 years at £2325 you'd be £25 more than the current costs...

It looks like the individual costs may be a bit lower than they were last year, but the 3 and 4 year plan costs have remained the same...

I thought this kind of thing might happen since the service prices are currently so high relative to other EVs and they are obviously still paying for the service infrastructure investment.

I'd guess most of the change is down to them dropping the drive unit fluid replacement around the middle of last year.

Somewhat ironic to sell people a service plan to protect them from price rises and then drop the prices :)

Also 'convenient' that they no longer disclose the annual service costs on their website.

I'd guess most of the change is down to them dropping the drive unit fluid replacement around the middle of last year.

Somewhat ironic to sell people a service plan to protect them from price rises and then drop the prices :)

Also 'convenient' that they no longer disclose the annual service costs on their website.

Absolutely! The only reason I took the service plan was because I urgently needed the BA air miles to get a companion voucher in time for an upcoming long haul trip. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with such a pathetic saving at the time and risk of overpaying in the long run - which now seems to be coming true. If service prices drop significantly over the next 3 years I will push them for a refund of the difference. But I'm not going to argue over £25!

Also bumped into an unexpected wrinkle when it comes to booking a service...

MK show as having online appointment booking but do not come up as an option if you try to do it.

Apparently that is because they are 100% booked for the next 60 days, while all the other dealers I've looked at are offering dates from about 2 weeks away.

So I asked about booking in for a date in June and was told you can only book up to 60 days in advance...

So it seems if I want to use MK I have to wait until precisely 60 days before my preferred date then be prepared to refresh the screen until the appointments for that day are released and then grab one before they all go...

Not exactly a great way to do things ...

Also bumped into an unexpected wrinkle when it comes to booking a service...

MK show as having online appointment booking but do not come up as an option if you try to do it.

Apparently that is because they are 100% booked for the next 60 days, while all the other dealers I've looked at are offering dates from about 2 weeks away.

So I asked about booking in for a date in June and was told you can only book up to 60 days in advance...

So it seems if I want to use MK I have to wait until precisely 60 days before my preferred date then be prepared to refresh the screen until the appointments for that day are released and then grab one before they all go...

Not exactly a great way to do things ...

I managed to book an appointment for some minor warranty work at MK for the end of January, but it was around 6 weeks ahead of when I booked it. So looks like they've now been booked all the way through to the full 60 days. They are clearly snowed under with work. I actually had my first 12k service done at Heathrow, simply because I could book it in within a week.

I contacted Barclays prior to purchasing my car and they confirmed that their only requirement is that the car is serviced in line with manufacturer's recommendations every 12,000 miles. They confirmed that they do not insist on it being serviced by Tesla. Tesla also tried to say I'd invalidate my warranty if I didn't get it serviced by them but when I showed them the UK legislation they changed their mind and said they just meant that if the mechanic damaged something then it wouldnt be covered by the warranty. Hmmm....

I contacted Barclays prior to purchasing my car and they confirmed that their only requirement is that the car is serviced in line with manufacturer's recommendations every 12,000 miles. They confirmed that they do not insist on it being serviced by Tesla....

Not that many alternatives yet though and by the time you facotr in the additiional travel time etc. it may not be worth it even if they are cheaper at first glance.