Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current spec and build differences for MYLR between Austin and Fremont?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure that only 4680 structural pack cars (Tesla nomenclature Y-AWD) are getting castings front & rear.
Not aware of any Austin 2170 cars (Tesla nomenclature Y-LR) having front castings, so far they are still the same as Fremont cars.
Happy to be proven wrong on that one though.
Looking into it further it seems you might be correct on this one. I thought there was info that they had been able to do monolithic 2170 at Austin but it appears I was mistaken.

all of the above.
in broad strokes:
Fremont does Western US and Midwest, until Austin fully ramps production, then Austin will take more of Midwest
Austin focuses on East, then taking up Midwest as ramp proceeds
Vehicle configuration, Time of Day, and Phase of Moon determine the rest

I'm in So Cal. My brother's MYP is Austin. Our MYLR (scheduled delivery this weekend) is also Austin.

data point: recently got a Fremont build LR to the east coast with matrix headlights, no USS, and no USS waiver in the paperwork.

One minor flaw in the headliner trim -- an extra piece sticking out that cab be trimmed with scissors and one wheel was out of balance. no other noticeable flows.

not sure if comfort suspension or not .

It was a pre-april order so included a mobile connector but wasn't with the car. Did get a email voucher for a free mobile connector that allowed ordering one from the shop and it shipping for free. Haven't rec'd yet.

No. There is a new camera part that is shipping on SOME Fremont cars and AFAIK zero Austin cars currently, it is unknown that these are 5MP cams they are possibly just an updated or revised 1.3MP camera. Owners with these cams report zero differences in resolution/quality or field of view (FOV) indicating they are new 5MP cameras.

Not sure where you found this information but I thought in 2023 all cars were getting the 5mp camera as evidenced by the larger camera diameter?

Not sure where you found this information but I thought in 2023 all cars were getting the 5mp camera as evidenced by the larger camera diameter?

I'm sure someone else might have better insight than I do. However, I've seen people posting recently that their 2023 models were delivered without USS and with the old camera styles. This is why people think it might not be a new 5mp camera and it's just a new camera with the same specs as the prior camera. It might be 5mp or it might not be. No one really knows for sure right now.

There is ZERO information that the "new" camera housings seen on some builds equates to 5MP cameras.

This is the misinformation that just refuses to die. The source of the information is that there is a note from a Samsung supplier of 5MP camera parts that "Tesla has received the parts and is using them in production". Around the same time Model 3 and a small number of Model Y cars start showing up with different camera parts. People assume these new camera parts must be 5MP cameras. There has been zero confirmation that this is the case.

Could be 5MP that also does 1.3MP but all we know for sure is that people that have these different parts report no difference in quality of video from the cams. The recorded video, field of view of the cams, etc., appears to be identical to the "old" style cams. The new cams could simply be coming from a different supplier.

• Informative
Reactions: Twiglett and cdub
What other “new” cameras are there?
I saw someone post a photo (can't remember what thread) of a change in the B-pillar camera also. Slightly different look to the lens.
I agree that this "new" camera hype should just die as no one has proven anything is actually different and we know Tesla is shipping no-USS with old camera design so there is no way it is important for bringing back parking features.

Has there been any reports of white interior, 7 seaters or MYP out of Austin yet?
How about Matrix out of Austin?

Seems Fremont is still very sporadically putting Matrix on MYLR but it seems more don't have them than do have them. I guess because MYP is built there there are some days they don't have the standard in stock and just use up some Matrix till the next standard shipment arrives.

If Tesla was really going to switch over to Matrix on all MY then you would think they would have done so after running out of Standard back in August and doing the ~ 2month switch to Matrix on MYLR.

Has there been any reports of white interior, 7 seaters or MYP out of Austin yet?
How about Matrix out of Austin?

Seems Fremont is still very sporadically putting Matrix on MYLR but it seems more don't have them than do have them. I guess because MYP is built there there are some days they don't have the standard in stock and just use up some Matrix till the next standard shipment arrives.

If Tesla was really going to switch over to Matrix on all MY then you would think they would have done so after running out of Standard back in August and doing the ~ 2month switch to Matrix on MYLR.
Austin seems to be pretty limited right now. It still seems to put out some Y-AWD that show up in inventory, but its all black interior Y-LR right now.
I've been watching the various videos like a hawk, looking for white interiors to no avail.
Been hoping I'd get an Austin car, but all white interior cars seem to be Fremont only.

Regarding the cargo side bins (the cavities on each side), I see some Amazon products and reviews that indicate the Fremont and Austin builds have different shapes. Can anyone shed some light on this?

For example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BN4Y61XX Description reads "Model Y Only fit Austin factory"

And a review from this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QX5BGFH reads "Does not fit 2022 Model Y made in Austin TX"

Thanks.

I'm not sure when or which models of MY, MYLR and MYP started having rear emergency release for doors but my 2023 MYP has them and I am grateful after surviving a totaled 2022 MYLR and the only way out the front was the emergency release handles (wife and I both in front seats). Everything electrical completely died and screen was dead as were all door open buttons. Thankfully the car turned on the emergency blinkers because the interior button was also dead. There was smoke coming from the back seat area and my thought is we have to get out of here before it catches on fire. If we had had back seat passengers they might have been stuck until we could get out the fronts and they would have had to crawl between the seats to get out the front. I would go so far as to say this is a safety feature Tesla should retrofit to all of their cars. For info, I was hit on the drivers side where the first place was mid driver door but the majority of the impact was the rear driver side passenger door. See photo.

Attachments

• IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    586.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1437.JPG
    IMG_1437.JPG
    479.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Informative
Reactions: vickh
I searched both here and on google but most threads I found were June through Aug maybe some September timeframe.

Can someone please either point me to the current (Nov 2022 onward) spec and build quality differences for MYLR between Austin and Fremont or post observations here?

Below are my perceptions from what I have read but my research is from dated info

For Nov+ builds Austin/Fremont

Matrix - Never / No more (Some during Sep Oct maybe even early Nov but no longer)
USS - No more / No more
5MP cameras - Yes / Yes
Comfort suspension - Yes / Yes
4870 battery - Only standard but not for public / Not yet
Cast chassis - Yes / No
Absolute (not relative between 2 factories) paint quality (Poor/Good/Excellent) - ~Good / Excellent
Absolute (not relative between 2 factories) panel gap quality (Poor/Good/Excellent) - ~Good / Excellent

Is there a way to identify the build date or month based on the VIN. I am aware that P = 2023. Looking for more granular build date than just the year.

What is the cast chassis?