Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current spec and build differences for MYLR between Austin and Fremont?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched both here and on google but most threads I found were June through Aug maybe some September timeframe.

Can someone please either point me to the current (Nov 2022 onward) spec and build quality differences for MYLR between Austin and Fremont or post observations here?

Below are my perceptions from what I have read but my research is from dated info

For Nov+ builds Austin/Fremont

Matrix - Never / No more (Some during Sep Oct maybe even early Nov but no longer)
USS - No more / No more
5MP cameras - Yes / Yes
Comfort suspension - Yes / Yes
4870 battery - Only standard but not for public / Not yet
Cast chassis - Yes / No
Absolute (not relative between 2 factories) paint quality (Poor/Good/Excellent) - ~Good / Excellent
Absolute (not relative between 2 factories) panel gap quality (Poor/Good/Excellent) - ~Good / Excellent

Is there a way to identify the build date or month based on the VIN. I am aware that P = 2023. Looking for more granular build date than just the year.

Reactions: EVDeepDive
Below are my perceptions from what I have read but my research is from dated info

For Nov+ builds Austin/Fremont

Matrix - Never / No more (Some during Sep Oct maybe even early Nov but no longer)
Correct.
USS - No more / No more
Correct
5MP cameras - Yes / Yes
No. There is a new camera part that is shipping on SOME Fremont cars and AFAIK zero Austin cars currently, it is unknown that these are 5MP cams they are possibly just an updated or revised 1.3MP camera. Owners with these cams report zero differences in resolution/quality or field of view (FOV) indicating they are new 5MP cameras.
Comfort suspension - Yes / Yes
Correct.
4870 battery - Only standard but not for public / Not yet
A handful of Austin builds were done with these batteries sold to Tesla employees and a handful of people with outstanding MY orders who were offered the option to switch. Current production at both plants uses the 2170 cells.
Cast chassis - Yes / No
Austin has front and rear cast chassis, the Fremont builds are only monolithic for the rear casting at this time.
Absolute (not relative between 2 factories) paint quality (Poor/Good/Excellent) - ~Good / Excellent
Austin has a brand new Geico paint shop and the paint quality should definitely be superior with the Austin built cars.
Absolute (not relative between 2 factories) panel gap quality (Poor/Good/Excellent) - ~Good / Excellent
This is hit or miss as we've seen posts with poor examples from both factories. From my own experience looking at about 20 recent cars from both factories... both had reasonably good assembly quality but it's notable that the hood alignment, which has plagued Fremont built Ys and 3s for years is still a problem where-as I have not seen the misalignment between the hood and bumper on any Austin built cars. This is possibly due to some correction in the assembly processes at Austin that can't be done at Fremont.
Is there a way to identify the build date or month based on the VIN. I am aware that P = 2023. Looking for more granular build date than just the year.
No.

One other difference you missed is that Austin cars have the magnetic center console latch, I think Fremont ones still have the regular latch since there's been no reported deliveries with the mag-latch.

Thank you for putting that info together. Are certain configurations being built by each factory or is it simply luck for whichever one fulfills your order?

One other difference you missed is that Austin cars have the magnetic center console latch, I think Fremont ones still have the regular latch since there's been no reported deliveries with the mag-latch.
Do you have any information to link about this? I haven’t seen anything mention this so I’m curious what latch this is. Is it to open the sliding door to access the console storage?

Thank you for putting that info together. Are certain configurations being built by each factory or is it simply luck for whichever one fulfills your order?

Do you have any information to link about this? I haven’t seen anything mention this so I’m curious what latch this is. Is it to open the sliding door to access the console storage?

It's just magnetic on the Austin cars where you lift up to access center console storage, removing one more common thing that breaks on cars. The Fremont cars will still have the mechanical latch there although I imagine in the future they will be using this part as well.

I never got the USS thing to accept. I asked my SA if it has it and they replied with
“Your account would be prompting you to accept that yours will not have it. If it doesn't prompt you to accept that, then it has it.” Soo I guess I do have it?

I never got the USS thing to accept. I asked my SA if it has it and they replied with
“Your account would be prompting you to accept that yours will not have it. If it doesn't prompt you to accept that, then it has it.” Soo I guess I do have it?
Just test it out yourself! When you get near something does it show the distance away on your screen? Also, aren’t they noticeable to the eye on the front of the vehicle?

It's just magnetic on the Austin cars where you lift up to access center console storage, removing one more common thing that breaks on cars. The Fremont cars will still have the mechanical latch there although I imagine in the future they will be using this part as well.
Thank you! I never knew they changed that but can definitely see why that would be a very small improvement.

Personally never understood why anyone considers a cheap magnet an improvement over the nice locking latch? Be like adding a mag strip to the glove box. Improvement? No.
It’s not like the magnet is visible and slapped right onto the armrest. For that matter, the latch is barely visible as well. So why would you consider a cheap plastic latch an improvement?

Because a latched door opens when I open it not when I bump my arm into it or when there is a bit to much stuffed inside. Why not add a hidden magnet to the rear hatch.
How short do you have to be to bump the underside of the armrest with your arm to lift it up? I always thought you were supposed to rest your arm on top of it haha. And wouldn't stuffing too much put stress on the latch and break it? You really seem to have an issue with this little change that you don't seem to be thinking rationally.

Reactions: WyoDude
Is there anything in particular that determines which factory builds your order? Is it based on configuration, delivery location, or totally random?
all of the above.
in broad strokes:
Fremont does Western US and Midwest, until Austin fully ramps production, then Austin will take more of Midwest
Austin focuses on East, then taking up Midwest as ramp proceeds
Vehicle configuration, Time of Day, and Phase of Moon determine the rest

Austin has front and rear cast chassis, the Fremont builds are only monolithic for the rear casting at this time.
Pretty sure that only 4680 structural pack cars (Tesla nomenclature Y-AWD) are getting castings front & rear.
Not aware of any Austin 2170 cars (Tesla nomenclature Y-LR) having front castings, so far they are still the same as Fremont cars.
Happy to be proven wrong on that one though.