Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current state of Smart summon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I’ve missed it, but I have not noticed much chatter about smart summon lately. I was hoping that the latest update would fix a problem I’ve been having, but it looks like that’s not the case. I have already gone on about it in a long boring manner, but in a nutshell the car thinks it is on a public roadway and it is nowhere near one.

Tonight’s exercise was a mixed bag. Car refused to pull out of its parking spot saying it couldn’t operate on a public roadway. I have tried backing the car out manually, in the hopes that it would put some distance between itself and the other driveway, and in the past this has not helped.

I tried this again tonight, and was pleased to see that after backing the car away manually, smart summon was willing to proceed. The lights flashed, and it started to drive... away from me! It went about 10 feet, decided this was a mistake, and stopped. Interested to see what would happen, I kept my finger on the button. It turned around! It carefully backed into a parking spot next to another car, and then pulled out and came toward me and stopped.

I thought it was an interesting display of problem-solving, although of course there should never have been a problem to solve in the first place.

I’m interested to hear about your recent experiences with smart summon.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Probably because most people now realize its a fun toy and a party trick but other than that it doesn't provide great value. I tried it a few times at work and it was marginally useful. The last few times I've tried summon the car has backed up and started to go the opposite way in a very simple parking lot. So until it gets a major update I will rarely use it.

Reactions: JBT66
Probably because most people now realize its a fun toy and a party trick but other than that it doesn't provide great value. I tried it a few times at work and it was marginally useful. The last few times I've tried summon the car has backed up and started to go the opposite way in a very simple parking lot. So until it gets a major update I will rarely use it.

Agreed, but I think is a VERY fun toy and SUPER party trick, and I do it whenever I can just for the belly laughs. I swear to god there is a drunken sailor in every model 3 and he wakes up only to guide smart summon. I couldn’t love a feature more.

...and unless you are physically handicapped, in which case it could be a godsend, SmartSummon is completely useless. Just time how long it takes to walk to you car vs 'attempting" SmartSummon. Tried it 5 times since it was released and won't until it is 99.9999% better. In one word...it is useless.

I agree that right now it's just a wonderful party trick.

If it were 100% perfect (as in worked even better than having a friend go get your car), I could see using it in a few instances. Okay, just one instance: It's pouring rain and you forgot your umbrella.

I recently used regular summon to move the car out, allowing better access to the trunk (for groceries).

Reactions: boonedocks
Any changes to your situation? I saw on a Reddit post that one person didn't see full effects for nearly 2 weeks after they made the change. Looks like your building and parking lot are cordoned off as a residential area in OSM, which you would think would give a green light to any service roads within that area.

Agreed, but I think is a VERY fun toy and SUPER party trick, and I do it whenever I can just for the belly laughs. I swear to god there is a drunken sailor in every model 3 and he wakes up only to guide smart summon. I couldn’t love a feature more.
Ha ha, that's a good one. But HEY, I was a sailor once upon a time... actually a pilot sailor. Just be glad your model 3 isn't trying to land on a carrier :eek:

Ha ha, that's a good one. But HEY, I was a sailor once upon a time... actually a pilot sailor. Just be glad your model 3 isn't trying to land on a carrier :eek:

No offense, I usually refer to the auto pilot as a “drunken pirate “, is that better? You weren’t one of those I hope?

Well maybe the car is a lot smarter than we think. I doesn't like the way you drive, so it wants t get away from you. :D

Exactly my immediate conclusion :(

• Funny
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Maybe I’ve missed it, but I have not noticed much chatter about smart summon lately.

I’m interested to hear about your recent experiences with smart summon.

I haven’t noticed any changes since initial release. As long as the parking lot is properly marked in OSM, it works ok. But I rarely use it. I think it’s too reliant on the ultra sonics. This probably won’t really be useful until V2.0 comes out - where it uses the cameras more and can see parking spaces. Also when it can better respond to “rules of the road”. I would never use it in a busy lot as it stands now.

I haven’t noticed any changes since initial release. As long as the parking lot is properly marked in OSM, it works ok. But I rarely use it. I think it’s too reliant on the ultra sonics. This probably won’t really be useful until V2.0 comes out - where it uses the cameras more and can see parking spaces. Also when it can better respond to “rules of the road”. I would never use it in a busy lot as it stands now.

Agree. I definitely wait for a lull in the action before pressing the button.

But for FSD to work, this has to work. I’m betting that this is front and center along with non-highway functionality in preparation for that.

We also have to differentiate between US and non-US. Smart Summon in Europe is just stupid. Just as Summon by the way. Both are not usable either due to regulatory limits like (20 meter/6 meter), dead man switch and - this is on Tesla - requires an internet connection because in the EU we cannot use the Keyfob for Summon and the app cannot do this over Bluetooth.

I use Smart Summon every so often at work but it doesn't work as many times as it does. I typically back into a space on the side of the parking lot, so in theory all it should have to do is pull out, turn left, and drive straight. Instead, it likes to pull out, turn left, turn right, stop, back up, and start down a perpendicular parking row. It seems like it would rather drive completely around the parking lot rather than literally drive straight right to me.