Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current status of dedicated Roadster chargers in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Roadster HPC is open to any and all Roadster owners who needs to charge. I spoke with the manager Alex Henry yesterday, and he said he is more than happy to move his car if there is no space!

Alex has always been sensitive to the needs of other Roadster owners and quick to help out if he can. He also recently acquired a CAN SR (for himself, it's not the store's) so he has a little more flexibility for where he can plug in.

Alex has always been sensitive to the needs of other Roadster owners and quick to help out if he can. He also recently acquired a CAN SR (for himself, it's not the store's) so he has a little more flexibility for where he can plug in.

Sorry I was not sufficiently clear. I didn't mean it as a criticism, I knew he would move if needed. I just meant to tell people to call ahead for better efficiency.

Sorry I was not sufficiently clear. I didn't mean it as a criticism, I knew he would move if needed. I just meant to tell people to call ahead for better efficiency.

Oh, don't worry, I didn't think it was criticism; I don't think anyone did. And I agree the respectful thing for us to do is call ahead. I've heard it's a busy store with a lot of traffic, test drives, etc. It's one of the few stores left with a Roadster HPC.

The Open Charge Map allows the entry of the station power and lets you filter on it, so it has everything we need, and it's an open data source so anyone can get the data for study. Maybe it's time we start promoting OCM over PlugShare.

I just gave it a spin. I do like the filters; you can indeed filter on power, as well on connector type. Sounds perfect. Except...if you ask for sites with J1772 and power over 14kW, it will show you a site like the Fred Meyer with a 7Kw J1772 and a 50kW Chademo. It's applying multiple filters to the whole site, rather than to a specific charger. Dang; I'd love to be able to add stations to this database rather than try to keep my own.

I will send them a note asking if they can change the way it works.

I just gave it a spin. I do like the filters; you can indeed filter on power, as well on connector type. Sounds perfect. Except...if you ask for sites with J1772 and power over 14kW, it will show you a site like the Fred Meyer with a 7Kw J1772 and a 50kW Chademo. It's applying multiple filters to the whole site, rather than to a specific charger. Dang; I'd love to be able to add stations to this database rather than try to keep my own.

I will send them a note asking if they can change the way it works.

Should using multiple filters generate a logical 'OR' or a logical 'AND'...
That's the type of software design decision that can be reversed so many times!!! :)
Sometimes you even feel the need to mix the two according to the filter category...
I have not seen a good UX design that achieves this yet though...
Good luck with that!

Should using multiple filters generate a logical 'OR' or a logical 'AND'...
That's the type of software design decision that can be reversed so many times!!! :)
Sometimes you even feel the need to mix the two according to the filter category...
I have not seen a good UX design that achieves this yet though...
Good luck with that!

Open Charge Map was designed to be an open or free database so that others could create interfaces to it. They want you to feel free to write your own app that implements any kind of advanced filtering you think would be useful.

Alex is awesome... He helped my wife and I when we were in the process of picking up Sig#40... We were originally looking at Sig#78, but there was an issue at the time we were going to buy it, and we were moved to Sig#40 as a result. His folks also drive Teslas... Not sure if they're S or Roadsters though.

Somebody from Open Charge Map acknowledged the issue (if you search for high-kWh J1772 stations, you will get a ton of stations that have Chademo + low-kwh J1772 stations) and said they'd put it on the list of things to address. Which is great, but of course there was no date attached so we'll have to see. I'd love to be able to send people to OCM.

They also said they have another feature in mind - allowing you to pick out a set of "special" stations to mark them as a "journey". Essentially, a way to keep your own map that is a subset of the existing map. That would be great too. It sounds like that one has been on the back burner for a long time though.

After some prompting from tomsax on how easy this should be to fix...they fixed it! You can now use openchargemap.org to search for, say, >14kW chargers with a J1772 or Tesla head. Which was exactly the point of my "Tesla Highway" map.

So I'm going to put a note on my map that people should use openchargemap instead. Thanks, tomsax.

After some prompting from tomsax on how easy this should be to fix...they fixed it! You can now use openchargemap.org to search for, say, >14kW chargers with a J1772 or Tesla head. Which was exactly the point of my "Tesla Highway" map.

So I'm going to put a note on my map that people should use openchargemap instead. Thanks, tomsax.

You seem so happy about this. :)

Thanks for keeping a map up-to-date for all of us until there was another option. I have used the product of your work many times.

Kudos. (and positive rep points coming to both you & Tom!)

Is there a way to ask openchargemap to update the set of chargers within the current map view? That is, as an alternative to typing in a new search name, for which it will choose the view that it wants? The scenario is that I might want to scroll or resize the map view, but only the set of chargers shown won't change.

Also, at least on iPhone 6, the space allocated for the map is a bit too tall so it covers the bottom half of the search box.