TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Current status of Firmware 6.0 ?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by dyoreo, May 14, 2014.

1. dyoreo

dyoreo Member

What is the status of Firmware Ver. 6.0 ??

2. pbleic

pbleic Member

Q1 Conference Call (a bit garbled transcription). I assume 6.0 is what he was talking about

Elon R. Musk
    Software (indiscernible) I think there are some very exciting software updates that are going to come out in the next few months that certainly will improve the experience of the whole suite of customers out there and if anyone ask me about that I’m looking to say what they are, so just broader information as it is, but I think customers can certainly look forward to some really awesome functionality improvements in their exi(s)ting car.

Translation: Amazing stuff is coming in "the next few months" (my read on Tesla time: by the end of the year).

3. smartypnz

smartypnz Member

No - he nailed it down to a specific time several months ago - "Should be out in February"

Just didn't mention year.

4. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

firmware version 6.0

promised really neat does anyone know when released or new items.

no inside info but i am betting navigation since i have no imagination. maybe real time traffic with cars communicating or directions on long trips including the needed super charger stops.

any ideas

5. Eeyago

Eeyago Member

Don't forget, they hired that software security guru from Apple earlier in the year so she may have found some flaws that's keeping the software from being released. IMO, let them go over it with a fine tooth comb and get all of the "bugs" out first before releasing this major version.

6. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Not sure how much sense that makes. Security patches are reasons to prioritize a software release, not further delay it.

7. liuping

liuping Active Member

Version 6 has a lot of new code, include a major update to the browser (one of the most likely entry points of malware). It is possible security issues were found in that portion.

8. jamieb

jamieb Member

Apple's WWDC (World-Wide Developers Conference) is at the Moscone Center in San Francisco on June 2nd-6th. Apple is expected to reveal iOS 8.0 for the first time. New features for mapping and contact integration are expected along with a refined API for CarPlay.

Pure speculation on my part
    , but I wonder if some of the (perceived) delay in releasing TeslaOS 6.0 (is there an actual name for the MS firmware?) might be coordination with other important software partners?

9. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Or, just perhaps it's just not ready yet? :)

10. apacheguy

Says the beta tester...

11. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Erstwhile? Don't think Flasher got 5.9 early?! I may be wrong though.

12. apacheguy

Agh, you're probably right. Once they gave him that fancy new D pack he probably didn't meet their beta testing criteria.

13. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

#13 FlasherZ, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    I have absolutely no idea as to the current status of 6.0. I was just pointing out that there is an awful lot of speculation, and the answer could be as simple as "it's still in development and isn't ready for any customer vehicles yet".

And it wasn't "fancy new". It was "fancy refurbished"... service center had 1 refurbished D and 1 new D on hand, I got the refurb. :)

14. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

When Elon talked about 6.0 he indicated it would have a lot of improvements/new functions. Given that TM appears to be pushing out more updates to 5.9 series still and that from beta testing to general release appears (speculation) to take months, not weeks, I would be surprised to see general release before August/September.

15. joshua.MA

joshua.MA Member

I've been wondering which will come first - the first Model X delivery or 6.0.

16. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

I place my bet on 6.0. I think they would like the X to come out with many of the promised features of 6.0. So August/September for 6.0 and finalized version/Model X 'party' in Oct/Nov.

17. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

It makes sense. Most issues are only a potential for mischief. One can either band-aid patch against specific known problems, or one can fix the underlying key assumptions that ultimately made a vulnerability possible. Fixing the fundamentals is harder but more robust.

18. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Oh, I don't know. Remember: February is a mere 8 and a half months away from when I post this.....

19. apacheguy

Granted, but what's your point? We're talking about the timing of a release, not the philosophy of patching security holes. We'd need a whole new thread for that.

20. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Occam and his razor agree.