Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current status of Firmware 6.0 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. But I've heard from another source that 6.0 is still weeks away, so someone somewhere along the line (either service center or the back-office that serves data to service center) screwed up.

Yeah, I definitely don't blame the service center guys especially after two of them independently confirmed it to you. Probably some wise ass in Fremont screwed up and they just don't want to admit it. I have no doubt in my mind that the software engineers know exactly what happened.

(in response to markb) I think the Tesla Service Center culture is, you do exactly what the customer asks, literally. And since I had kind of said "meh" to their initial offer of installing 5.12, they interpreted that as "customer does NOT want 5.12" and then they were apologetic when their system forced 5.12 on 'em after I'd actually OK'd 6.0. They were just trying to keep me at 5.9 since 5.12 was gonna take some time to install and I've heard nothing useful about 5.12 over 5.9 so I figured I would pass on it until 6.0 came out. But then all that became moot when they said 6.0 was suddenly available. And . . . this is getting tiring for everyone including me. On to other subjects.. :)

C'mon we have no reason to distrust BlueTan85. Take him at his word. I believe the story.

Also agree. The 6.0 has been rumored to be released soon (Tesla Time Soon, I admit) and we have a TMC member who was trying to pass along the information many have been waiting to receive. TAke him on his word. No harm/no foul. Also, if he was trying to 'jack' the stock, it certainly failed.

C'mon we have no reason to distrust BlueTan85. Take him at his word. I believe the story.

I agree.

What would BlueTan85's motivation be for fabricating this story? I reviewed a few of my previous service invoices. They do not state the version number. v6.0 is currently being Beta tested. The only unusual part of his story was Tesla releasing a major update just a few weeks after beta testing. And I did not find that "BS" or "humorous," rather exciting and promising.

i was at the SC today for some replacement parts and was told by the SA that i can expect 6.0 to be pushed out OTA sometime next week. i've never had an OTA update before so he told me how it would work (can't have the car running or plugged in for the hour it takes to download). in any case, i asked him if he knows what's coming and he mentioned naming the car and also some improved map/nav functions, like the route guidance giving an estimated range used on a route, etc. i didn't press for more information - i recently got 5.12 and had kind of a rough time with it and then then got patch that "fixed" 5.12. i'm still getting to know the car and have been through two firmware updates already in 6 wks, so all this is happening so fast for me :rolleyes:

Let's put some of the speculation to rest on 6.0. Features likely to be added (mentioned in various threads):

streaming video while in park through the browser
live traffic smart nav
trip planner that takes into account weather, elevation, etc. and estimates range

i was at the SC today for some replacement parts and was told by the SA that i can expect 6.0 to be pushed out OTA sometime next week. i've never had an OTA update before so he told me how it would work (can't have the car running or plugged in for the hour it takes to download). in any case, i asked him if he knows what's coming and he mentioned naming the car and also some improved map/nav functions, like the route guidance giving an estimated range used on a route, etc. i didn't press for more information - i recently got 5.12 and had kind of a rough time with it and then then got patch that "fixed" 5.12. i'm still getting to know the car and have been through two firmware updates already in 6 wks, so all this is happening so fast for me :rolleyes:
So you can't be plugged in to receive an OTA update? That's interesting. My MS is always plugged in when it is in my garage. Does that mean I can't get an OTA update?

So you can't be plugged in to receive an OTA update? That's interesting. My MS is always plugged in when it is in my garage. Does that mean I can't get an OTA update?

hmm, now i can't remember exactly what he said - either you can't be plugged in and/or can't be charging? definitely it can't be charging while downloading. he said a little clock will show up on the screen sometime next week and you can schedule a convenient time to perform the OTA download when you don't need the car and don't need to charge.

i hadn't eaten breakfast this morning when i was at the SC so i think my brain capacity was limited when he was explaining it all to me :frown: . he said 3G or Wifi doesn't matter either. i have a strong 3G signal but the wifi in my garage sucks.

hmm, now i can't remember exactly what he said - either you can't be plugged in and/or can't be charging? definitely it can't be charging while downloading. he said a little clock will show up on the screen sometime next week and you can schedule a convenient time to perform the OTA download when you don't need the car and don't need to charge.

i hadn't eaten breakfast this morning when i was at the SC so i think my brain capacity was limited when he was explaining it all to me :frown: . he said 3G or Wifi doesn't matter either. i have a strong 3G signal but the wifi in my garage sucks.

You can be plugged in or not, doesn't matter. Charging will stop while it is upgrading, and you won't be able to plug/unplug, as the controls will be unresponsive.

You know, now that I think about it, I've always gotten my OTA updates downloaded during the day while the car was parked somewhere not plugged in.

I have frequently received notice of an OTA update upon returning to my car in the morning when it has been plugged in all night. Of course it doesn't spend all of that time charging, so I'd be hard pressed to prove that it did or did not receive the update while charging.

FWIW, the rep at the service center today told me 5.12 was not an OTA release, that the only people who got 5.12 were ones who got it installed at a service center. (Which is why I was still on 5.9 which *was* an OTA release.)

Did some of you get 5.12 OTA?

OK, makes more sense that it wouldn't upgrade while charging. Still - I never received an OTA to 5.12 even though I have a good WiFi signal in my garage that the car is always connected to while parked there.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, the rep at the service center today told me 5.12 was not an OTA release, that the only people who got 5.12 were ones who got it installed at a service center. (Which is why I was still on 5.9 which *was* an OTA release.)

Huh. Guess that's why I never got 5.12 OTA.

my SA confirmed this exactly. i had two updates done by the SC while there for unrelated repairs. he mentioned that usually only the "big ones" or "necessary ones" (i'm assuming something about 5.9 was necessary - was that the air suspension one?) are pushed OTA. the intermediate ones are generally installed at the SC if the car is there for maint or repair.

mine was delivered with 5.11 and i had 5.12 installed with an AC condenser repair and then the 5.12 fix/patch by the ranger at my house when my original 5.12 was freaking out on me.

Small item for clarity sake- When the car displays the clock icon the download has already taken place. The time you're scheduling is just the installation portion of the update.

I received 5.12 OTA. Ended up having it re-done at the Service Center because of app connection issues. So far I have been able to connect on the app and have not experienced the issues I had after the OTA installation.

I received the OTA notice the evening after I had been at the Orlando Service Center to replace some tires. They told me they had pushed a new update to the car, but the touchpad only showed an incremental update to the ver 5.9 I already had in the car. The next morning was when I got the update message on my control pad.

Maybe the Orlando Service Center downloaded but didn't install ver 5.12? Doesn't make sense, but you never know.........

I had 5.12 OTA, but it was just an update. I had already gotten 5.12 at the service center prior to my update to 5.12.

Sorry I don't remember the exact build numbers.

I've had the car for over a year and 5.12 is the only numbered update (not just build number change) that hasn't been pushed OTA. I wonder why?
I don't think charging has anything to do with downloading an update. It's just data like any other data that downloads, music or maps or whatever. It's when the update installs (which you control the timing of) that everything stops.