Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Tesla owners low take rate on reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are correct and great analytical skills.

Update amongst current owners would be way higher if AWD came out first but it would be a 55-57K or so Model 3.

I was prepared to pay whatever it cost for AWD, after having once driven a P85D Model S, the way it handled! But I have no complaints about the way my RWD handles. If I stay in Spokane and don't move to Maui I might upgrade to AWD in a couple of years. In Maui I don't see much use for AWD.

I'm in my 30s. My household makes around 100K+ a year and I own a home.
I think represent the "average" person that stood in line on 3/31.
I don't own many luxury things and i think i live pretty modestly. My current car is an old 1998 acura.

With that being said, we I thought this was going to be a 35K car and with options I would probably spend around 40-45K.
With the 7500 tax credit, it brings it down to a reason price where I am willingly to splurge a little. Yes, you got to live a little.

BUT 2 years later...
The car is actually 55K (with taxes, no EAP), and the fact that the 7.5k tax credit will be reduced by the time the 35,000 car comes out, it has us all looking for other options.

While I probably will get a STILL get a 3, if another car company (specifically honda or toyota) announces an EV like the BOLT or the 3 but at a 30K price tag i am sold. (i specifically did not buy a bolt because I will not buy from GM)

And for those that speak of supercharging network, well guys.... i rather just fly and rent a car with all the $$$ i saved from not buying a 55K car.

While many people that drive teslas make $$$$ and can easily buy a 100K car, there is a market of people like me who just want a really good deal like Elon stated. "Best car for 35000" Well that hasn't come and i'm starting to look elsewhere.

Agreed. I’m in the same boat. I was assuming being a day one reservation holder I will be eligable for the $7500 rebate off $35,000. I have no problem getting some options like PUP and white seats. Making it a mid $40s car minus the rebate. That is my ideal price for an EV.

But at $50k right now. It’s a bit hard to swallow. And that Supercharing price is up to $0.26 a kw. Supercharging is no longer a incentive.

Reactions: T-Will
And that Supercharing price is up to $0.26 a kw. Supercharging is no longer a incentive.
That price is 6.24c/mile. At $3.20/gal for gasoline (that's roughly SoCal right now, I think?) So Supercharger price is about 51mpg equivalent. For a rather sporty mid-size sedan. With upside on gasoline prices.

That's new model Prius cost of fuel, without having to drive a Prius. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: pedriscoll
That price is 6.24c/mile. At $3.20/gal for gasoline (that's roughly SoCal right now, I think?) So Supercharger price is about 51mpg equivalent. For a rather sporty mid-size sedan. With upside on gasoline prices.

That's new model Prius cost of fuel, without having to drive a Prius. ;)

To me, the incentive of super charging is not needing a -backup- ICE Car.

My car can make it to NY on no notice as long as I have 5% battery power. That get's me to a supercharger.

Supercharger KW cost is is a non issue since 99.9 possibly 99.99 of my charging is done in my garage.

To me, the incentive of super charging is not needing a -backup- ICE Car.

My car can make it to NY on no notice as long as I have 5% battery power. That get's me to a supercharger.

Supercharger KW cost is is a non issue since 99.9 possibly 99.99 of my charging is done in my garage.
Yes, that's the core value & purpose of the SC. It means your household can be EV-only while still able to road trip in nearly the whole of the lower 48 States (and most of the denser populated regions in Canada....sorry Winnipeg, you stranded island of a city ;) ). It makes "no ICE required, even to rent" viable to an extremely high percentage of people.

He was just talking about the potential budgetary benefits, which are now more than ever focused on home/work charging. But really, M3 isn't a car to buy to 'save money'. Not until we know how resale value will work out.

Last edited:
Yes, that's the core value & purpose of the SC. It means your household can be EV-only while still able to road trip in nearly the whole of the lower 48 States (and most of the denser populated regions in Canada....sorry Winnipeg, you stranded island of a city ;) ). It makes "no ICE required, even to rent" viable to an extremely high percentage of people.

He was just talking about the potential budgetary benefits, which aren't now more than ever focused on home/work charging. But really, M3 isn't really a car to buy to 'save money'. Not until we know how resale value will work out.

There's no gain to buying a Tesla to save on "gas money". There are cheaper EV's that are not as nice, not as fast, not as much technology, to achieve that purpose. You can own an economy gas car and an economy EV car for less than the price of a Model 3. This covers your day to day driving and ICE for long distance driving without the need for a supercharger.

You buy a Tesla because it has the "sex on wheels" premium. Part of that appeal is EV-only. It's nice, but it's not cheap to achieve that convenience and status.

I’m also one of the people who have a decent household income but could in no way afford even one S or X. I can make it work if Tesla offers me the chance to get a Midnight silver SR+PUP+EAP with Aeros if i can at least get a $3750 tax rebate. That’s $46,000 before the rebate. I know that is chump change to all the rich Tesla owners but it’s a bit frustrating that Tesla only offers the most expensive versions (and is likely to introduce a LR PUP white interior AWD for at least $54,000 before the SR vehicle). I get needing profits but the tax credit situation hurts those who really want in the Tesla club and can’t quite get there because an $800/mo car payment is still too much.

Feh. On Day 1 (3/31/2016), 7% of the reservations for Model 3s were from current (at the time) owners. I was one of them. Remember at that time, nobody had a clue as to the finer points of what the car looked like. Further, AWD had been available for the S at that point for just shy of a year (deliveries started Spring 2015 after the Fall 2014 event), and the performance model of course for years prior to that.

I've deferred my Model 3 reservation ostensibly in deference to the emergence and pricing for both the AWD and P variants, plus because I have less than no interest in paying $0.26/kW at California SCs and commensurately lower but still significant amounts elsewhere. With regard to the latter, it's not the $10K over 3 years that that represents since I drive a lot. It's that $10K represents a disproportionately high fraction of the TCO (total cost of ownership) *relative to* the TCO for a CPO AP1 S85 RWD car that can be had for $45K mas o menos.

Lastly, I'm just patiently *cough* waiting for the next 3 years to pass until we have something that resembles FSD and a few iterations thereof as it marinates into something truly compelling. I have to believe that Tesla will still be in the lead *for distance traveling EVs*, and by then, be still my heart, we might even have Tesla pickup trucks built upon the Model 3 platform as well. I'd buy an AWD/P variant of one of those in a Chevy heartbeat.

I know that is chump change to all the rich Tesla owners but it’s a bit frustrating that Tesla only offers the most expensive versions

I would say that the wealth spectrum here is very wide, and regardless of wealth, you have nice people and you have jerks. Try not to feel self conscious about what you can or cannot afford. Your frustration is justified. Model 3 is definitely marketed as the car for the masses, and Tesla is still not financially stable enough to offer lower-priced configs.

I think Tesla is countering for some extra CapEx they weren't expecting for Model 3 ramp. Between prioritizing the higher margin vehicles and supercharger pricing increase I think they are trying to keep their cash reserves filled. Would you rather get your car or not get it at all?

This is eerily similar to my situation... well, before I cancelled and subsequently developed eyes for the XC40. I highly recommend you find a current Model 3 owner and see if they'd be willing to let you check out their car briefly (even just sit in it for a few mins). Actually getting to spend a few hours with a $49k+ Model 3 and then having my early morning day 1 reservation est. delivery date for whatever the $35k model will end up looking like pushed to early 2019 helped me realize it wasn't worth it.

And I agree about the SC network - we live in a city, prefer to fly, never go on road trips, and can't imagine ever needing to use a SC.

Sigh..you are clearly persistent in your knocks. Pick a negative thread and you’re there with your pontification of why not.

Btw: I’ve rented the XC90 about a 1/2 dozen times; the latest, this past weekend in Charlotte.

What a substandard drive, horrible GUI, awful sound system, dismal self driving app (it would disconnnext without notice, always shut down on a school zone even on a Sunday, couldn’t stay in a lane when road was winding).

What a breathe of fresh air for me to be back in Naples driving my X....

Sigh..you are clearly persistent in your knocks. Pick a negative thread and you’re there with your pontification of why not.

Btw: I’ve rented the XC90 about a 1/2 dozen times; the latest, this past weekend in Charlotte.

What a substandard drive, horrible GUI, awful sound system, dismal self driving app (it would disconnnext without notice, always shut down on a school zone even on a Sunday, couldn’t stay in a lane when road was winding).

What a breathe of fresh air for me to be back in Naples driving my X....

Lol. I’ve never driven a newer Volvo but they sure are lookers. I think Tesla is quite a bit ahead of other car makers in terms of navigation (and what I’ve heard) auto pilot or self driving capabilities. If I can’t ever afford the 3 I don’t know where I will look next.

It may not be what people were hoping for, but in 2-3 years you'll probably start seeing reasonably priced Model 3s in the used market. If you were stretching your budget for the Model 3, buying used is almost definitely a better choice anyway.

Yeah. I’ve bought three cars in my life. All new. If I’m gonna be making a major purchase, i would rather it be just mine. Probably a poor choice financially but it’s how I feel for some reason.

Interestingly, though it might be a minority opinion, a few people have said they like their Model 3 more than their Model S. Depending on your view, the Model 3 is either the baby brother or the smaller, improved version of the Model S. :)
Model 3 is a different kind of car really. I didn’t realize how big the Model S was in comparison to it until I got a loaner S last week while my X is in service. Driving our 3 and the S back-to-back, it’s remarkable how different they feel. The 3 is just so much smaller, lighter and sportier. If your car history is from smaller sport sedans (3 series, A4/5 Audis, etc) then the Model 3 is a better car.

Reactions: DR61