Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Currently have 100A panel service.. ordered 8.16kW system + 1 pw.. what to do next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 100A panel but my box is out of space.. there are a few things I want to add including induction cooktop, Tesla charger and hybrid water heater. At the same time, my Tesla energy project just got permitted and they want to do a home assessment.
My question is, what should I do next? Should I find an electrician to upgrade the panel first before Tesla does the home assessment, or should I have Tesla do the home assessment first? I’m thinking I would need a 200A panel. How much can I expect the cost to be to upgrade the panel (PG&E NorCal territory)?

if I do need to upgrade the panels, do I need to contact PG&E first?

....Should I find an electrician to upgrade the panel first...
Tesla might not approve your old or new main panel so I think it's better to ask Tesla if you want an upgrade from 100A to 200A panel.
...How much can I expect the cost to be to upgrade the panel (PG&E NorCal territory)?...
I am not sure but it's possible that the utility company might want to charge you extra for the increase in Amperes. I wouldn't be surprised if it'll be thousands of dollars.
if I do need to upgrade the panels, do I need to contact PG&E first?
Either your electrician or Tesla can do that but if you want to know an idea of how much PG&E will cost you, you might as well ask them first.

Is your service overhead? The likely minimum is around $3,000, more likely above $4,000. This is close to what I spent in Sunnyvale for a main panel and service upgrade, I didn't pay PG&E anything, service was overhead. If you are in Silicon Valley Clean Energy territory check for incentives. When installing a heat pump water heater last year, I got checks for both the water heater and the main panel upgrade (did in conjunctions with the water heater). I'm also hoping to upgrade that house to an induction stove.

Depending on how your system is fed/configured you might be able to get away not upgrading your service and/or your panel. The existing panel could become a subpanel to a new load 200A center that will likely to be installed for your PV and Powerwall anyway. That will have room for your additional loads. The gateway could take the 100A feed from the grid. This is the configuration that Tesla did for my sister which was installed yesterday. This would be the cheapest route. The only downside (which I consider super minor) is you can only pull 100A from the grid, which practically never happens for most people. During the day the solar will be supplementing so you can pull more. I believe, but not 100% certain, the Powerwall can be configured to also assist but you will need to ask Tesla about that.

Tesla might not approve your old or new main panel so I think it's better to ask Tesla if you want an upgrade from 100A to 200A panel.

I am not sure but it's possible that the utility company might want to charge you extra for the increase in Amperes. I wouldn't be surprised if it'll be thousands of dollars.

Either your electrician or Tesla can do that but if you want to know an idea of how much PG&E will cost you, you might as well ask them first.

thanks, sounds like I should have Tesla come check out the existing panel before I make any changes then

I think that if you do decide to upgrade your main service panel (breaker box), many of us would suggest that you might want to consider getting a 200Amp main service panel with 225Amp bus bars, aka a "solar ready" main service panel. It will almost certainly save you headaches later, and the additional cost is small.

All the best,

BG

So the service panel and the buss bar must have different ratings?
No, they don't have to have different ratings, but some do have a bus bar rating slightly higher than the overall rating to accommodate the backfeed current from solar panels and / or batteries, without having to derate the main panel fuse.

Many homeowners who have added solar have encountered this issue, which can limit the owner's ability to add additional loads in the future or to limit the load that they have today.

The marginal cost on a "solar ready" 225A bus bar main service panel vs a 200A main service panel is trivial. Hence, the recommendation to get a 225A bus bar main panel, if you are upgrading.

All the best,

BG