Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Currently have a LR AWD w/ 19" Sport Tires - Debating switching to Stealth... Help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a LR AWD w/ 19" with sport tires scheduled for delivery on Friday. I'm determined to take delivery before 12/31 to ensure I get the tax credit. I didn't know about the "stealth" until I started playing on these forums and now I'm depressed that I'm paying 1k more for a car that could perform even better (I don't care about the 19" tires - that just happened to be what they had). I'm struggling to find any in the Atlanta area, so I need advice.

1) I know this is super subjective, but am I going to be envious of everyone with 0-60 in 3.2???
2) Is it too much of a gamble to wait and see if a stealth pops up in my immediate area?
3) Since I will likely never actually go to a track, is the LR AWD (non-stealth) more practical anyways? :)

Thank you all! Also, if anyone knows of an easy way to search for stealth models, let me know!!

Good luck finding one. But I'm pretty sure the Stealth has 19" wheels. The Performance Stealth Unicorn is better because it has the 18" Aero Wheels and is actually better for road conditions. Beefier tires means less likely to get a flat and ruin the rims, than low profile tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
Stealth are sold with both 18 and 19” tires but your odds of finding one before end of year are not good
If you are willing to take any colors and tire options your odds are better but would have to pay for any extras the car has which increases your cost difference by more than $2k
Make some calls to your advisor and maybe a few locations within 500 miles and see if anyone has one for sale
If not waiting would mean sometime in 2020 and losing the tax credit and you cannot order them so have to sit and wait
White stealths are really hard to find, they sell so fast so is something you have to luck into

I have a stealth with 19's. Stealth is def worth the 2k extra add on cost. If you can get the stealth delivered by end of this year, I'd go for it. I called my advisor and had him match me to a stealth that was near production and it was delivered 5 days later. I only had 2 choices at that time. White w/19's black interior, or Grey exterior with 18's black interior. I opted for the white with 19's.

Took delivery 12-12-2019.

But you have to decide if it will be worth it to lose the federal rebate? Because you never know if something is going to happen to prevent you from delivering prior to year end.

Last edited:
Stealth are sold with both 18 and 19” tires but your odds of finding one before end of year are not good
If you are willing to take any colors and tire options your odds are better but would have to pay for any extras the car has which increases your cost difference by more than $2k
Make some calls to your advisor and maybe a few locations within 500 miles and see if anyone has one for sale
If not waiting would mean sometime in 2020 and losing the tax credit and you cannot order them so have to sit and wait
White stealths are really hard to find, they sell so fast so is something you have to luck into
Only 2k more? Pretty sure I paid an extra 10k for my P3D stealth.

18s or 19s does not matter, you can always change the wheels on the stealth. I went from 18s to aftermarket 19s.

2k more than standard dual motor LR.

Probably 10k more than the standard range?

No... in 2018 it was between 9-11k more to go from LR AWD to LR AWD P (without the 20s and big brakes- THAT cost ANOTHER 5k on top). (though to be fair all those guys who bought a P in this period were eventually offered a $5000 refund from Tesla later).

The P3D- in 2019 is an insanely better deal than it used to be.

No... in 2018 it was between 9-11k more to go from LR AWD to LR AWD P (without the 20s and big brakes- THAT cost ANOTHER 5k on top). (though to be fair all those guys who bought a P in this period were eventually offered a $5000 refund from Tesla later).

The P3D- in 2019 is an insanely better deal than it used to be.
Yea mine came out to 73k or something around there. Guess I grossly over paid. Even with the 5k back I guess it was a bad deal. Hopefully I won't fall for the FOMO when it comes time to get a cyber truck.

Reactions: FmaxTurboSi
I currently have a LR AWD w/ 19" with sport tires scheduled for delivery on Friday. I'm determined to take delivery before 12/31 to ensure I get the tax credit. I didn't know about the "stealth" until I started playing on these forums and now I'm depressed that I'm paying 1k more for a car that could perform even better (I don't care about the 19" tires - that just happened to be what they had). I'm struggling to find any in the Atlanta area, so I need advice.

1) I know this is super subjective, but am I going to be envious of everyone with 0-60 in 3.2???
2) Is it too much of a gamble to wait and see if a stealth pops up in my immediate area?
3) Since I will likely never actually go to a track, is the LR AWD (non-stealth) more practical anyways? :)

Thank you all! Also, if anyone knows of an easy way to search for stealth models, let me know!!

I called in to check the status of delivery for my LR-AWD and sales guy told me about stealth (+2k) , I checked with guy in this forum who convinced me to go for it. Glad that I got stealth.
My suggestion is to just call sales guys and they may tell you immediately if they have it, in my case they tried selling it to me.

Yea mine came out to 73k or something around there. Guess I grossly over paid. Even with the 5k back I guess it was a bad deal. Hopefully I won't fall for the FOMO when it comes time to get a cyber truck.

To be fair- I am talking P3D- "in comparison to the LR AWD at the same time"

That's a 2k difference now, and a 9-11 k difference then (or only 4-6k difference after the 5k refund).

Not comparing P then to P now... because in 2018 you also could get a $7500 tax credit that is only $1875 today (and will be $0 in 2 weeks).

So $7500 plus 5k refund knocks $12,500 off the price of the P3D- in 2018

My guess reading other threads about stealth delivery, you are too late to get Model 3 Stealth this year, especially since you are not on the west coast. So for you it would be the delta now plus 1875, about $4k difference. Worth it? Your money, your decisions.

My guess reading other threads about stealth delivery, you are too late to get Model 3 Stealth this year, especially since you are not on the west coast. So for you it would be the delta now plus 1875, about $4k difference. Worth it? Your money, your decisions.
Easily worth an extra 4k. Hell, just get the full performance fully loaded and it's still cheaper than I paid even without the tax credit (well ok not really, but not much more either). I paid an extra $2000 just for white paint...

A few thoughts:

* Personally, I wouldn't base your timing on the tax credit. Historically, Tesla has adjusted pricing for the tax credit changes, with price drops nearly matching the change in the credit. That might not be true this time, especially now that they're addressing the international markets as well, but in any case, given that it's less than $2k, I think it's probably more valuable to get the car you want, at the time you need it (or are ready for it). Of course, Tesla could also raise prices at any time, so who knows, but I wouldn't be overly focused on the tax credit.

* The LR AWD is a fantastic and very fast car. Only you can decide if you'll be a little unhappy that you didn't get the even slightly faster one, but I think most people would be very satisfied with the LR AWD. Of course, I myself am an exception, and opted for the full performance version with the upgrade package, when it was all an even bigger price difference, and I'm not unhappy about any of that.

* As others have said, I don't think you'll find a "stealth" performance model before year-end. I'd go further to say there's a decent possibility you might NEVER find one. Everyone seems to think that Tesla will produce more of these (or convert inventory LR AWDs to juice sales in a given quarter), but I don't think anybody knows for sure. Many thought the silver paint would be re-introduced at some point, but it hasn't been yet.

My suggestion would be to ask yourself if it would be worth it to you to get the full performance version, and if so (and you can afford it) just get that and if not, then be happy with the LR AWD (as those are your only choices right now), and to buy the car you want at the time that suits YOU (and if at that time there's a stealth performance available, then you can throw that into the mix).

If you find one no brainer. Get the stealth. You will regret not doing it.

Reactions: Msjulie
Thank you all for the feedback! I think I decided I need to wait and see if I can find one. If I didn't know they existed, I'm sure I would have happily taken delivery of my LR AWD, but now I know I'll be kicking myself. Worst case I can save a few grand and get the performance later.