Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Currently have a Model S as a loaner and...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll try not turn this post into another rant but I finally got around to dropping my model 3 off for a collection of issues.

So anyway, dropped car off in Glasgow and was then advised that they would need my car "a while" to investigate some of the issues, so I requested a loaner from them which I picked up over the weekend. It was a 2017 model S and I thought I would share my thoughts as it may be of interest to someone.

Firstly, it actually feels like a proper car, it feels heavier (probably because it is), but everything about it feels firm, substantial, unlike my opinion of the model 3's build quality and materials. Naturally, the car feels a little larger but that feeling didn't last too long. I definitely like the layout inside, with the touch screen and the instrument cluster. It felt comfier inside and generally a nicer place to be. Everything about it felt better quality.

There were only 3 issues with the model S that I could see, the cooling in the drivers seat wasn't working, the wipers were noisy and there was no radio but in comparison to the issues I have with my model 3, these are really minor.

I know there will be loads on here that would slate the model S for their own reasons but I'm curious if anyone has went the other way, from a model 3 to an S and why.

I probably won't keep my model 3 much longer (coming up on 1 year in a week or so) and am most likely to go back to a diesel 4x4 but I have to admit, I certainly like this model S, it's really surprised me and just wonder if owning one would prolong my relationship with Tesla or even EV's generally.

Are you sure the seats are supposed to be ventilated? I didnt think that was even an option, but I could be wrong.

I never could warm up to the 3, and have owned 2 S's. The 3 feels like a toy to me. Now with that said, my cars have had plenty of fit and finish issues of their own, while the 3s seem to be better assembled or perhaps just easier to assemble consistently. In the end, I love hatches and hate trunks. The convenience of getting bicycles and firewood and camping gear etc in/out makes the S the better car FOR ME.

I went from an S to a 3 and did enjoy the feel of the S on longer journeys. My S was a 2015 'nosecone' version and compared to the 3 it did feel a bit tired/old technology. When I had a test drive of a 3 it felt a bit like a go-cart in comparison at first. I fairly quickly got used to the feel and style of the 3 though and appreciated the big jump in performance and handling. I still look at S's from time to time but don't see myself going back any time soon.

I don't miss the size of the S which was a bit of pain sometimes and the lack of door pockets was a perennial frustration for me, as my S didn't have a centre console either. (I'll not mention the free supercharging and premium connection mind).

Are you sure the seats are supposed to be ventilated? I didnt think that was even an option, but I could be wrong.
Well it has the toggles on the touch screen and the passenger side works, not great but definitely works, unlike the drivers one.

Would still have internet radio stations though....
Couldn't find any radio stations at all. The usual Bluetooth, Spotify and Tidal were the only media options.

I'm really quite taken by this car actually, in no rush to get my own back...

That is ridiculous but entirely in keeping with Tesla
I don't see it like that - someone upgrading their MCU who never used the radio could save a few quid ... I consider it just an "option". Seems pretty dear for a radio, but ...

I've had 2x Model-S (Did 95K miles in the 2015 one, replaced that in 2019) and added a Model-3 replacing the backup-ICE. Then replaced 3 with Y in Feb as we needed Hatch and Tow.

We always take the Model-S for any longer distance trip. It is way more comfortable (as in "we arrive much more refreshed"). Air-suspension no doubt helps, but may also be more spacious cabin / seating position / I dunno which actually generates the benefit

I don't enjoy chucking the S around bends - it wallows hugely, but centre of gravity so low that if a bend is tighter than expected nothing untoward happens other than the alarming lean! Reminds me of - was it the Renault-4 or maybe the 5 that did that? 2-CV too IIRC :)

The 3 was the most fun to drive - felt to me like a tight hatchback. Cornering good. Although my driving style has changed since owning EV / S. I'm no longer fast into a bend, the ability to apply power on exit, and the smile it brings, means I favour "Able to stop in half the distance I can see"

Model-Y springs are harsh by comparison, and when using full throttle the steering wheel needs some attention. But its a compromise for SUY shape. I've heard of enough people who have not been able to put up with the suspension, and have chopped it in, that although it doesn't bother me there is risk that a new buyer might be in that category.

Reactions: boombap and plisken
I don't see it like that - someone upgrading their MCU who never used the radio could save a few quid ... I consider it just an "option". Seems pretty dear for a radi
Something as basic as a radio in a car should never be an “option”.

Next you’ll be telling me the rear seats could be an “option” because someone might not use them…

Reactions: ACarneiro
Some interesting an odd comments. My 2018S had the MCU upgrade as part of the (waste of money) FSD upgrade - still has working radio which I rarely use as I’m not a fan of unnecessary noise.
As for handling - it can take corners faster than I'm comfortable with after a long lifetime of owning crappy cars and my aged 200sx which is/was the drifters favourite. I prefer sanity over getting unlucky with wet leaves or loose gravel. At least the S has some decent elbow room. I’ve sat in 3 and Y and found both a tad claustrophobic in comparison for a tall person.
The performance is fine, the comfort is decent the ergonomics are sh1te. While it's possible to do stuff when there's a good cell signal or it's in TACC I've often resorted to pulling over off A and B roads to do stuff on the touch screen that my 29yr old other car can do easily - press a button for a change of radio station or to adjust air flow and heat. Old school manual use of lights, wiper speeds, turning round to look out the back window for reversing, rear wiper, a button for demist, cabin temp slider and fan speed are all much simpler to get right - and I can still fix simple stuff myself; Yesterday the blower stopped working. The fuse box is an easy access panel in the driver's footwell with well labelled slots, checked the fuses were Ok and reinserted them which cleaned off any oxidation on the contacts and it was all working again. I don't even know where the fuses are in the S and wouldn't dream of touching them unless the car was fully powered down. Oh, it also has a spare wheel and jack.

We lost DAB radio after a software update, 2018 75D but its back now after further updates.

We have a loaner Model 3P- at the moment, agree with the comments about feeling like a go cart to start with, but used to it now. Goes like a scalded cat but also agree with the comments about journeys. Have been doing a weekly 3 hour each way commute to the office recently and can confirm the S is the preferred vehicle. So much more comfortable. The 3 would be fine if we hadn't experienced the S.

Other thing to consider is charging time. Saw 955mph on the 3 the other day, makes stops significantly shorter than the S. Needs to be as Rugby is our charge point on the run to the office and most days its carnage there! first time in nearly 6 years of EV ownership I have had to queue at a Supercharger!

Saw 955mph on the 3 the other day, makes stops significantly shorter than the S

Not, exactly, been my experience. I toured continent in MS with a M3 in convoy. They used more percentage than me stop-to-stop. So basically the MS had a bit more range - say 5-10%. So that would mean that the MS would complete some journeys that were borderline for the M3, and also less "top up" needed for "only-just-out-of-range" days (albeit at a slower rate,. as you say, but I suspect for a 350-mile day its probably evens).

So a longer drive-charge-drive-charge journey, i.e. North of 500 miles, then the M3 may have the edge - but, again, if the MS can (just!) reach a more distant supercharger that would make up any benefit that the M3 had. But at that point it becomes "How many trips do you do a year with > 500 mile single-leg"

I reckon that in a practical test there isn't much in it ... but certainly in a side-by-side test the M3 will charge faster.

Not, exactly, been my experience. I toured continent in MS with a M3 in convoy. They used more percentage than me stop-to-stop. So basically the MS had a bit more range - say 5-10%. So that would mean that the MS would complete some journeys that were borderline for the M3, and also less "top up" needed for "only-just-out-of-range" days (albeit at a slower rate,. as you say, but I suspect for a 350-mile day its probably evens).

So a longer drive-charge-drive-charge journey, i.e. North of 500 miles, then the M3 may have the edge - but, again, if the MS can (just!) reach a more distant supercharger that would make up any benefit that the M3 had. But at that point it becomes "How many trips do you do a year with > 500 mile single-leg"

I reckon that in a practical test there isn't much in it ... but certainly in a side-by-side test the M3 will charge faster.
Interesting, I should have made it a bit clearer that the 3 starts from home with a full battery, range is recording at about 288 miles, our 75D full is 212. So when we get to Rugby we need to fill enough to get to work (Bedford) and then back to Rugby for a final charge to get home. S gets to Rugby
with about 50 miles left, 3 has north of 100 so charge time for 3 to get enough to return to rugby is shorter than S👍

In search of Raven Long Range replacement for the 75D

In search of Raven Long Range replacement for the 75D

If you can 'convince' Tesla to sell you a new 90kWh usable pack for the 75D, your have essentially the same range as a raven but for £15k vs £30k+ for used or £50k+ for a brand new S.

The 75D pack in our X has served us well for 70k+ miles across Europe. Logically it makes zero sense to even consider spending £5k+ on a new battery as the range in the 75D is perfectly fine for our usage. But when the time comes I'll see what Tesla offers.

Reactions: NikoV6
@NikoV6 I should have said that my MS is a Raven ... an MS 75 would indeed have less range than a M3 :)

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but it certainly was not obvious to me when I original bought Tesla in 2015:

Range is King. Original MS90 I had was 240 miles. What that means in practice is that I need, say, 30 miles contingency and ideally I will only road-charge from 10% (if I can land on a charger and be at exactly that low SOC!) and fill to 70% - 80%

A 10% bigger battery still only needs the same 30 miles contingency ... so all of the 10% more battery is available for "more range", and the bigger battery will gain more miles in the 10%-70%/80% road-charge

When I ordered my first MS that was the 85 ... which was discontinued during my wait in favour of 90 (or 75). I stumped up for the 90, the extra ££ was enough that I gulped!! ... but doing 35K miles a year it actually meant there were a number of trips where I could get home, just, where I would have had to charge with an 85, or where I only needed a splash-and-dash instead of a more lengthy stop.

Moving from MS90 to Raven (100) plus some other efficiency enhancements) meant that my out-of-range days went from 2x a month to a few times a year :)

If I only did a few out-of-ranges journeys a year I would have been happy with 75, and just allowed more time-to-charge on longer trips

I've had a couple of S's as loaners over the last 3 years of owning the 3 P-. One was an absolute beater that needed the drive shaft replacing and many other problems associated with a 2017 pre-raven. The other was a lovely raven unit which was absolutely convincing. The tricked out air suspension that could waft but stayed absolutely flat in corners was sublime, and the 3 being available with a hatch is one of the few things that might persuade me to trade in.

But, the 3 already feels like a 'big' car to me, the S is massive, and I really didn't like the X when I borrowed one of those for a day. So I do love the raven S, but I don't think its for us (unfortunately).